We Need a Role Select

General Discussion
Because you naturally start the game in one of three ways in Competitive:

1. Playing DPS Chicken.
You lock in your hero, and then watch everyone else who instalocked their heroes play a weird game of 'who is going to swap to what roles first?'

2. Learning what "Flex" really means.
80% of the time you're going to just play tank or healer

3. Playing negotiator
Addressing the awkward elephant in the room, "...can we get a (maybe even extra) healer/tank?"

Any of those scenarios is just asinine to deal with in the first place.

Seriously, just let us queue up with a preference listed of a Primary Role we want and a Secondary Role we'll play. Sort it so all it does is show us with icons to indicate what our primary preference is and our secondary preference is. Example: I would probably show up and sit in most comps with an indicator of (Primary) Healer (Secondary) Tank. It lets the party know ahead of time, that's what I queued up to play as, simple as that.

Sort it 2-2-2 (healer, tank, offense/defense) only as a base, and let the players figure it out from there. If they change their mind and say "You know, I think quad tank could really work for us" and they play quad tank instead... cool.

[by popular counter argument]
If you have the player who goes with Primary Healer/Secondary Tank for shorter queue times, instalocks Genji, and refuses to swap with an icons implying "Hey guys, my preferences are to play a healer or a tank for this team"... That is actually an example of poor teamwork.

[preemptive counter-counter argument]
Oh, but what if we agree on 4 DPS 1 Tank and 1 Healer and I was queued as a healer, but swapped to DPS and the team blames me and reports me for it. Then I would get banned because I was indicated I was willing to be a Healer or a Tank that match

This is what I call fearing the boogieman
Those people are a-holes, you will always run into those here and there, and I assure you, unless you do something profoundly horrible to merit that being a very common trend of reports, you'll be fine. You don't get banned for 3 reports in the game, hell, you get a warning if you've done it consistently.

You'll also probably have to switch Symmetra to defense.
*Picks support for shorter queue times*
*instalocks Genji*
02/18/2018 02:55 PMPosted by Tuofir
*instalocks Genji*

Yeah... Then guess what you report the player for?
No thanks, I like to play Overwatch with the ability to flex and switch whenever without the fear of being reported.
02/17/2018 04:12 PMPosted by YoyoCaleb
Having a role select would force a meta.
02/18/2018 03:05 PMPosted by YoyoCaleb
02/17/2018 04:12 PMPosted by YoyoCaleb
Having a role select would force a meta.

02/18/2018 02:47 PMPosted by KulstorEbrou
If they change their mind and say "You know, I think quad tank could really work for us" and they play quad tank instead... cool.
02/18/2018 03:08 PMPosted by KulstorEbrou
02/18/2018 03:05 PMPosted by YoyoCaleb

If they change their mind and say "You know, I think quad tank could really work for us" and they play quad tank instead... cool.

02/18/2018 03:02 PMPosted by KulstorEbrou
Yeah... Then guess what you report the player for?

As a result of role queue and the rule set you have engaged you have successfully created the most convoluted and muddled situation possible.

How would you prove in your report that the team did not agree that he could go Genji? So some how you have the ability to flex into other roles but at the same time you are taking the risk of being reported if you step out of the role you queued for?

We have a fatal error in the code.
We already have role select. You pick the hero you want to play.
1. Playing DPS Chicken.

I'd rather have DPS chickens than DPS suicide bees from Africa. They just run in without the team and die. At least the DPS chickens will run away from a fight that they know they can't win and not feed the enemy team.
Role select would be limiting to Overwatch.
I'd prefer a preference - System.
02/18/2018 03:04 PMPosted by Fatfatty
No thanks, I like to play Overwatch with the ability to flex and switch whenever without the fear of being reported.
your playing the wrong game if you have no fear of being reported ask the torb or widow mains
02/18/2018 03:12 PMPosted by MrTickles

As a result of role queue and the rule set you have engaged you have successfully created the most convoluted and muddled situation possible.

How would you prove in your report that the team did not agree that he could go Genji? So some how you have the ability to flex into other roles but at the same time you are taking the risk of being reported if you step out of the role you queued for?

We have a fatal error in the code.

Well... If you work the system, and play against your team... You can't really be surprised if you get reported for something you consistently abuse.

I imagine Blizzard can actually view games you were reported (in progress to banned) to see if the behavior checks out if someone says, "They queued up as a healer or tank and instalocked genji and refused to swap the entire game." Even so, you're only running the risk of being reported if you're doing this regularly to people.

Now, petty people do exist. If you're worried about getting reported and banned when the team said, "Yeah go ahead and play Genji, no problem" and then turns around and says, "You cost us the game and you didn't even indicate you were playing DPS, reported." Those people are actually a minority. You can take off the tin-foil hat.

Unless you're doing something profound in that example to merit enough reports for you to be banned for doing it (meaning you likely do it across multiple games), why would you have anything to honestly worry about?
Well... If you work the system, and play against your team... You can't really be surprised if you get reported for something you consistently abuse.

I imagine Blizzard can actually view games you were reported in to see if the behavior checks out if someone says "They queued up as a healer or tank and instalocked genji and refused to swap the entire game." Even so, you're only running the risk of being reported if you're doing this regularly to people.

Now, petty people do exist. If you're worried about getting reported and banned when the team said, "Yeah go ahead and play Genji, no problem" and then turns around and says "You cost us the game and you didn't even indicate you were playing DPS, reported." Those people are actually a minority. You can take off the tin-foil hat.

Unless you're doing something profound in that example to merit enough reports for you to be banned for doing it (meaning you likely do it across multiple games), why would you have anything to honestly worry about?

Because requiring heavy investigation and detective work is something Blizzard is really good at right?

Even then the amount of people who will potentially get caught in the crossfire for genuinely changing roles to help their team is high.

This is neither an ideal or even close to acceptable setup.
*instalocks Genji*

This argument is just dumb. If a person wants to throw a game in competitive and ruin the match for others you don't just get rid of competitive mode because people are !@#$%^-s. What you need is an efficient reporting system that will deal with these issues and it would be the exact same for a role select or role preference however you want to call it, people who abuse the system gets reported by others so that they get disciplined and if needed banned.

As for those who argue, how can you know if someone is abusing the system or not, it's the exact same thing that already happens in competitive mode, how do you know that a person is throwing the game just because they are not doing what you want them to do or picking the characters that you want them to play, but you still report them anyway dont you?

The funny thing about all of this is that the perceived problems that people seem to have with role que already exist in the game and have nothing to do with the actual idea of a role system. And downvote me all you want but the truth is, most who oppose role que don't really understand it, and how it would make the game experience so much better for everyone, there, i said it.

A role system for competitive mode would be a good thing, and it would certainly be better than what we have now, and also better than doing nothing, that is just a fact.
*instalocks Genji*

-gets reported for griefing
-buy a 50% off account
Face it. This community is 95% dps-playing post-millenials. They don't know nothing but themselves. So no, they will disagree because their main focus is YOLO, kills and potgs. There is no "team" or "we" in this community.

Don't missunderstand me. I love to proposal, but I know why you get downvoted.
*instalocks Genji*

Just make it so you cant swap from the role you queued for until 30 seconds have passed during the match, or somesuch.
Just because you saw that Overwatch Central video... no.
This community is 95% dps

This is a big part of the problem. Most people are DPS mains, and they don't want to have a system that doesn't allow them to play what they want without having a longer que, it's as simple as that.
02/18/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Kieron
Face it. This community is 95% dps-playing post-millenials. They don't know nothing but themselves. So no, they will disagree because their main focus is YOLO, kills and potgs. There is no "team" or "we" in this community.

Don't missunderstand me. I love to proposal, but I know why you get downvoted.

It has nothing to do with people wanting to play dps. It has everything to do with role queue being against the actual concept of the game where EVERYONE is responsible for filling the needed roles.

"Mains" and "One Tricks" are a situation created in part by a terrible designed SR system and the another part people getting so attached to one hero they never want to switch.

Lets try not to destroy the concept of the game. We need an SR system that encourages flexing over maining and one tricking.