Is there a reason to return after a disconnect?

Competitive Discussion
If you disconnect and are able to reconnect to the game right away, you have the option to rejoin the game. Great! However, even if you win, you will still lose 50 SR and still be suspended from finding another match for 5 minutes or so when you finish. I notice a lot of people don't come back after a disconnect, and having just experienced the situation I described, I wonder if that is why. I'd really prefer for teammates to come back, as we can quickly regain momentum if a player is only gone 15 seconds or so. So, I'm just kind of wondering if the game gives players any reason to bother to return after the disconnect? Do you bother to return if you disconnect for a few seconds?
I try my best to return because I actually just enjoy competitive for what it is and hate letting my team down.

In some ways I am glad they have the 10 minute waiting period for when your game finishes because you could have a 'rational actor' simply entering a new game immediately to make back the lost SR instead of entering a game where they know they can't gain any.
02/19/2018 06:48 PMPosted by predat0r
In some ways I am glad they have the 10 minute waiting period for when your game finishes because you could have a 'rational actor' simply entering a new game immediately to make back the lost SR instead of entering a game where they know they can't gain any.

Couldn't they get around that by just making the only game you are allowed to join be the game you left until that one is finished?
02/19/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Hexadecimal
Couldn't they get around that by just making the only game you are allowed to join be the game you left until that one is finished?

I think I worded my post incorrectly, I think I should have said 'when your game disconnects and you fail to reconnect.' But I could be wrong.

I don't have a good enough read into the logic behind what dictates the decision as to when you can no longer reconnect to be able to comment.

There is a lot of things they could do about leavers, sure keep the deterrents but it would be nice if something or someone could take the leavers place in the game to even it up a little.
@OP:

It is only right that you return. If you don't return, it's 5 vs 6. And your ENTIRE team will lose SR.

When you re-join, it will be 6 vs 6 again. In the case that your team wins, only you lose SR.

It's a matter of honor and sportmanship. Don't desert your team till the match has ended.
@OP:

It's a matter of honor and sportmanship. Don't desert your team till the match has ended.

Yeah, I understand that. That would be why I returned. What I asked though is whether the game itself actually gives players a reason to come back. Like, one that doesn't rely on the kindness of their hearts. I'd like people who drop from my matches to come back asap so we can keep up momentum. As I said though, most people that disconnect don't seem to come back, and I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that the game seems to punish you either way. I'm getting from this that no, the game does not give any reason to come back. I will probably be less judgemental of those who don't rejoin with that in mind.
Just don't take more than 2 mins to rejoin. Your SR will be totally fine then.
Otherwise if you take more than 2 mins, don't. Let people leave, games probably lost at that point anyways.
02/19/2018 08:25 PMPosted by VenteNegra
Otherwise if you take more than 2 mins, don't. Let people leave, games probably lost at that point anyways.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. You lose 50 SR regardless of how long you are gone for, even if you return just a few seconds later. If coming back quickly let people still gain SR on a win, maybe more of them would come back.
02/19/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Hexadecimal
02/19/2018 08:25 PMPosted by VenteNegra

Unfortunately, that's not the case. You lose 50 SR regardless of how long you are gone for, even if you return just a few seconds later. If coming back quickly let people still gain SR on a win, maybe more of them would come back.

This is incorrect. Just a couple of days ago the game froze and I rejoined 25 seconds later. While my SR showed a 50 penalty in social (I checked between rounds) when we won the match the 50 SR was back and I gained another 23 or so for the match. The timer is very short, but you can return without penalty.

https://youtu.be/p_1mMGjNs3A?t=171

The Xbox DVR ran out before recording the SR rewards, but you can see the disconnect and return here within 30 seconds.
Nope, no point rejoining. The system is completely stupid, they need to at least increase the allowed time to something reasonable or take other factors into account (i.e if it takes you 4 minutes and you stay for the rest of the game then it should be fine).

I mean at the very least how about they give you no penalty and no gain.
but if you rejoin then you dont lose 50SR for a win ... you get your 50 penalised back + the win SR ... if you check it during the game then it shows you lost 50 but after the game ends you get it back + whatever you get for the win ... no problem there so maybe i didnt understand your problem correctly ...

im not sure how it works with loss but i assume its the same ... you lose only the points you should for the loss ... but even if you lose the 50 for the loss there is chance that you lost cause of that DC so its justified and kinda deserved...
I always try to rejoin, even if I won’t gain any SR. It sucks, but it’s only the right thing to do.

I don’t think the SR penalty is entirely unfair, even if the disconnection is out of your control. Even a few seconds of your absence can turn the tide (you vanish during a big push, for example). That said, I do think that Blizzard should nullify the SR loss if you end up winning after reconnecting, if not award you additional SR.
Really there isn't. Its so idiotic that even if you rejoin you still get the SR loss and the suspension. Letting you rejoin, rejoining, and still getting penalized is ignorant. Its either don't rejoin and get the full punishment or rejoin and at least get hit with a small SR hit.