I report someone every single match.

General Discussion
02/14/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Cozy

See... I don't know about this mentality. You're welcome to your own opinion of course, but I'm here trying to explain that

"hey... maybe reporting 2-3 people per game is a bit excessive"

and then you reply and say "because of those excessive reports, I've been suspended over minor crap... so now I'm going to start excessively reporting as well"

...like, what? lol

I'm sorry, but if you beg and plead for a hardcore report/punishment system like the one they're currently iterating on, it's going to hit a point where innocent people (like yourself) start getting caught in the cross-fire. That is why I'm so adamant about not abusing the report system. There are things that, while offensive, don't warrant a report. If you can't work it out among yourselves, then it's simply not worth working out. You mute and move on. There's is such a thing as "agreeing to disagree" and going on about your life. For everything else, Blizz will take care of it.

Exactly!

If you cant beat them, join them.

I'm sorry but I am pissed off when I get suspended multiple times over simple minor petty crap. Until Blizzard decides to lift up the hammer a bit (getting suspended for telling someone to take a tin foil hat off their head) I will report everyone who is toxic towards me.

As for your other point. I agree to an extent. I dont think people like me will be caught in a cross fire per se (I dont use chat anymore so no ammo towards me) but Blizzard will come down so hard on "toxicity" that the game will no longer be fun to play. People will no longer say "good game" without fear of being reported for harassment and so on. When it reaches that point the fun is gone and the game will die.

Battling toxicity is great but you cannot be overly heavy-handed with it. However I understand the technical aspect of trying to comb through 1000s of reports every day.

Thanks for considering both sides :D

In that same vein, I feel for you. If I got reported for some overly petty issue like a cuss word, I'd be jaded too and honestly I'd probably start reporting multiple people as well hahah

And you know Blizz sees OP reporting multiple people per game. It's why OP already had dozens of "we have taken action on your report", while other people that submitted a report weeks ago are still waiting on confirmation, if indeed it ever comes.

That told me that blizz saw all these reports from OP and were finally like "dude we get it! we're looking into it! calm down!" lol

It was like me as a young kid... I was a terrible tattle-tale. I'd tell on my siblings for EVERYTHING. Eventually, my parents drew a line and said "buddy, listen... if there's no blood and no one is unconscious... then we dont care... you're going to have to work out it among yourselves. At first I fought that new rule tooth and nail, but before too long, I started accepting that not everything was the end of the world. And because of that, it forced me to get along with my siblings.. because now that my parents werent there to work it out for us, we had to work it out ourselves. And through all that, I learned how to better behave and tolerate not just my siblings, but the general public as well.

Sometimes you gotta accept the lesson that life is trying to teach you, and that lesson is: (song lyric) you cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.
02/14/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Amerasian
Is the problem other people, or are you just trigger happy?

...have you played Overwatch yet?
I am starting to wonder if these screens aren't just made up to make you feel better.

I report ppl sometimes but I really doubt they have got so many reports just in a single day. Yet it is pretty much guaranteed to get such screen on the netx day.
02/14/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Ultraviper

if other people are throwing f-bombs all over the place and I report them, the problem isn't with me...

You wouldn't like Aussie or NZ then, a great deal of Teens and 20+ yrolds use it in everyday conversation. They don't use it in an offensive way, but if you are offended by the F word in general, then you'd probably be offended.

Basically, if the intent is bad, report. If not, then don't. :P
02/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Buttercult
If you are reporting every game you are doing something wrong.

Maybe he just ends up having to play with a lot of toxic people. I know I do.
The root of the problem is in the game itself and how it makes me cooperate with retards
If you're reporting people that often, it makes me wonder what you consider toxic.

I play every day and somehow manage not to report every match. Even Competitively, I only end up reporting two or three players every ten matches or so.

gg ez = not toxic
please do/do not do [action] = not toxic
not swapping in qp = not toxic
can we get a [hero?] = not toxic
voice chat? = not toxic

racist/bigoted slurs = toxic
purposefully harming another player = toxic
verbal/textual abuse = toxic
deliberately and openly throwing a game = not necessarily toxic, but reportable
I've only reported somebody once, and that was because I believed they were using aimbot. I don't believe I've ever reported somebody for 'toxicity.'

EDIT: Scratch that last statement, I can remember me reporting one toxic person before. The defending Symmetra kept cussing out our team because she apparently needed more people to help defend the flag even though we were behind, and my nephew told me to report her. The description I put in the blank space was 'Toxic.'
02/14/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Krojack
02/14/2018 08:34 AMPosted by Ultraviper

have you SEEN chat? I usually report 2 or 3 a match for abusive chat alone
Are you talking about console or PC? I see abusive chat but no where this bad. I would say I report abusive chat once every five games maybe.. Most common examples of what I report for:

- Racist comments.
- Calling someone or the team !@#$.
- Voice line spamming (after I ask them to please stop)

I wish things like "gg ez" were reportable but they are not. That's one of the most simple yet biggest toxic comments people use.

Did they implement a chat macro that changes gg ez to something else when someone types it a while back?
02/14/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Jask
If you're reporting people that often, it makes me wonder what you consider toxic.

I play every day and somehow manage not to report every match. Even Competitively, I only end up reporting two or three players every ten matches or so.

gg ez = not toxic
please do/do not do [action] = not toxic
not swapping in qp = not toxic
can we get a [hero?] = not toxic
voice chat? = not toxic

racist/bigoted slurs = toxic
purposefully harming another player = toxic
verbal/textual abuse = toxic
deliberately and openly throwing a game = not necessarily toxic, but reportable

That's the issue here, people have gone from reporting actual toxic behavior like you list to claiming whatever ruffles their feathers as toxic. Like another poster I started online gaming in Quake 1 and the trashtalking was not only epic but expected. I guess that I why don't consider most things outside of your examples of toxicity as "toxic". If the OP has his way he'll be playing alone vs bots because he seems to report darn near everyone he plays with.
Intent is hard to read on the internet. When in doubt, report anyway because chances are people are toxic. It's just human nature.
02/14/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Ornery
02/14/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Peng
And I have to ask myself, if toxicity is this mainstream, why don't I see changes in my games? I almost feel like it's worse this season than it's ever been in terms of leavers, throwers, and trolls.

Ever consider that, if you're reporting someone every single match, you're borderline abusing the report system and inundating blizz with more reports than they can actually do anything about?

If you want to see real, tangible, change... then start with yourself. I guarantee if you spend less time reporting and more time just playing the game and looking for the fun, instead of focusing on the bad, things will change for you, and drastically.

Around mid and high Diamond i also got soo many former masters who were throwing and toxic that i reported and so I got a massage every time i logged in as well.

It was so bad that i stopped and decayed to 3k now. I don't think he abuses the system or is trigger happy honestly

Exactly!

If you cant beat them, join them.

I'm sorry but I am pissed off when I get suspended multiple times over simple minor petty crap. Until Blizzard decides to lift up the hammer a bit (getting suspended for telling someone to take a tin foil hat off their head) I will report everyone who is toxic towards me.

As for your other point. I agree to an extent. I dont think people like me will be caught in a cross fire per se (I dont use chat anymore so no ammo towards me) but Blizzard will come down so hard on "toxicity" that the game will no longer be fun to play. People will no longer say "good game" without fear of being reported for harassment and so on. When it reaches that point the fun is gone and the game will die.

Battling toxicity is great but you cannot be overly heavy-handed with it. However I understand the technical aspect of trying to comb through 1000s of reports every day.

Thanks for considering both sides :D

In that same vein, I feel for you. If I got reported for some overly petty issue like a cuss word, I'd be jaded too and honestly I'd probably start reporting multiple people as well hahah

And you know Blizz sees OP reporting multiple people per game. It's why OP already had dozens of "we have taken action on your report", while other people that submitted a report weeks ago are still waiting on confirmation, if indeed it ever comes.

That told me that blizz saw all these reports from OP and were finally like "dude we get it! we're looking into it! calm down!" lol

It was like me as a young kid... I was a terrible tattle-tale. I'd tell on my siblings for EVERYTHING. Eventually, my parents drew a line and said "buddy, listen... if there's no blood and no one is unconscious... then we dont care... you're going to have to work out it among yourselves. At first I fought that new rule tooth and nail, but before too long, I started accepting that not everything was the end of the world. And because of that, it forced me to get along with my siblings.. because now that my parents werent there to work it out for us, we had to work it out ourselves. And through all that, I learned how to better behave and tolerate not just my siblings, but the general public as well.

Sometimes you gotta accept the lesson that life is trying to teach you, and that lesson is: (song lyric) you cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.

No problem at all man!
02/14/2018 12:22 PMPosted by Argonexx
The root of the problem is in the game itself and how it makes me cooperate with retards
This statement in itself is toxic. You're calling people retards after all. Someone doesn't do what you say, oh they must be a retard in your book.

I can already tell you're part of the toxic community this game can do without.
02/14/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Jask
gg ez = not toxic
This is in fact toxic. The ONLY reason it's said is to get people on the losing team upset. It's not reportable but it is toxic.
02/14/2018 12:50 PMPosted by riotjune
Intent is hard to read on the internet. When in doubt, report anyway because chances are people are toxic. It's just human nature.

As you accurately state intent is difficult to read on the net and especially so in game so you should err on the side of caution\innocence and not report someone who is potentially not being toxic unless he\she clearly fits in one of the examples of bad behavior outlined in the Blizzard TOS. The report "just in case" mentality is some tyrannical thinking. Imagine if law enforcement used that mentality...wait they did with stop and frisk in NYC and it was deemed illegal by the courts. Just an example of the slippery slope your line of thinking leads to. It doesn't make the community better, it just overworks the Blizzard CS reps who can now not deal with actual toxic players as efficiently since you're clogging up the report queue "just in case"
I once reported a guy that reported me for playing bastion in QP and refusing to switch

I got the "we have done something about ur report fella" message and i laughed so hard