Why do people think Moira is balanced?

General Discussion
Somebody explain it to me, because despite all the talk about her, there wasn't a good argument anywhere. On the other hand, people saying "Moira is balanced" without any further comment are all upvoted unconditionally.

I feel like people really just decided at release that she is balanced, and refuse to even consider anything else.

So please, someone explain how can you say that Moira is balanced despite:
1. She being one of the best squishy killer in the game, because of her very forgiving weapon, and high self sustain.
2. She being the best tank healer.
3. She gets lots of play of the games, since her ult is really strong.
4. Her pick rate also skyrocketed.

And the weird part about her, is that she is essentially countered by sustain, which she provides the most in the game, kind of forcing you to play a mirror comp.
Unless you can burst her down consistently, which is not at all easy. If it were, we wouldn't be having this discussion...
potg doesn't matter at all, that's like saying torb is op because of it

but she is not balanced in terms of 1v1ing any squishy hero besides mccree and maybe soldier

people think her damage is weak but having a consistent 100 dps and 33 hps is completely busted and her fade gets her out of any situation she should be punished in and it punishes the player attempting to dive her

but hey i'm a tracer main so I get no rights to speak cause only tracers/genjis complain about moiras when she shuts down any 200 hp hero in a 1v1

moira is as aids to fight as mercy is in valk, except for the fact valk doesn't last the entire match, moiras self sustain might as well though

tfw downvoted without any reasoning behind it, just like the people that supported double junk mine doing a full 240 dmg
I don't know like maybe if you played other support heroes and did some comparisons between pros and cons. I can say by then you'll realize why she's balance compared to others.
02/14/2018 05:12 PMPosted by SlayerAdam
So please, someone explain how can you say that Moira is balanced despite:
1. She being one of the best squishy killer in the game, because of her very forgiving weapon, and high self sustain.

1.) Pretty much any class can out-DPS her, and her only advantage is a bit lock-on

I would imagine her healing is balanced by her resource meter, and 4 can likely be explained with her rate of healing plus how all everyone who was so overreliant on Res ditched Mercy immediately. Right now, Moira is the most effective and straightforward main healer. Ana is a sniper, Mercy needs to be balanced against Res, and Lucio and Zenyatta are off-healers with some form of other main utility. Since Moira doesn't have a major catch besides healing and damaging to refill her meter, her healing rate can be higher as compensation in her overall balance.

Her ult is an ult, so I don't think it's fair to count it as a factor to how her base form is balanced, and if she's only making POTGs through her ult and not, for example, just by making a good play through normal ult-less gameplay, I think that says a lot
Heal is on a meter

Lowest DPS in the game, unless you use gun AND orb that sacrifices healing and is on a cooldown (even then it's only 100 DPS on a single target)

Outside of 20 meter range, she really can't do anything damage wise.

Mediocre ult

Very weak to burst damage

No mobility outside of fade

Hard countered by Roadhog (literally can not kill him without help)
02/14/2018 05:19 PMPosted by Brutalistica
I don't know like maybe if you played other support heroes and did some comparisons between pros and cons. I can say by then you'll realize why she's balance compared to others.

You mean like how the only thing that lets the other supports survive as long as her is wasting Valk as mercy, landing 2 perfect headshots as zen, or landing a sleep dart perfectly which all require skill or wasting an ultimate to get the same result that moira has the entire match?

you mean how no other healer besides ana and lucio can self heal while in a fight and to add to that, ana can only do it once?

you mean how she has the most consistent dps for any of the healers and can kill any 200 hp hero within 2 seconds with as much skill as valk 500 meter 1 sec dash insta res unless they heal themselves which even then she can fade and stall for ball while right clicking to heal while zapping your hp

she's not broken but she is not balanced, especially compared to all the other supports
The best squishy killer in the game is actually Genji, so, um, yeah.

EDIT: Tracer is pretty good too.
Cause OW players doesnt rlly care about balance, its more about fandom
At the cost of Utility. Supports usually have utility Moira doesn't. To fully utilize her anti-squishy you'd need to fully dedicate her kit into killing a squishy too. Meaning using her alt fire+attack orb+fade (to keep close with the target seeing as alt fire is easily broken when you don't have LoS and there's literally plenty of cover in Overwatch's maps). Meaning if Moira does this, she's sacrificing her abilities to heal her entire team just to kill one squishy.

At the cost that it's on resource. Resource that's heavily drained and hard to replenish if your team keeps getting bombarded by attacks or are not being careful.

It's really not. It does 70dmg PER second. If you get hit for half a second and manage to find cover in the next half you'll effectively just receive 35dmg. It's an ult that punishes teams that group up too much (e.g. Bastion+Shield Comps etc, etc)

Her pickrate is skyrocketing because there's literally just 5 healers. 3 out of which people are reluctant to play as. Ana is suffering from the meta and is still need of a buff. Mercy is unfun even to her own playerbase due to an unrewarding and un-engaging ult. And Lucio got mobility-creeped and is the one who arguably suffered the most from the ult charge changes months ago. So literally 60% of the healers are heroes player are reluctant to play as. Of course the pickrate to the balanced healer is going to skyrocket. Healer mains are obviously going to flock towards Moira. Zenyatta is balanced but he's fairly easy to kill when no one is remotely trying to protect you. Moira, obviously she's going to match with the Dive Meta, because she has self sustain and has a more active/mobile. Which are at the cost of her not having a singe team utility outside of healing.

edit: look at em downvotes lol
She is balanced with in the 6vs6 team fight format.
The same way a NFL linebacker who can tear the spine out of QB with one arm is balanced around the linebacker having to get past 300+ pound offensive linemen.

Her ding dent orb damage spam? Who cares? Your healers just patch everyone back up. Her range? Shield tanks just block it anyways. She is also terrible fighting against armor in general.
She doesn't need all that great of aim? Trade off for having one of the lowest DPS primary weapons in the game. Her ULT builds quickly but does very low damage and it's far from a key counter to an offense ULT for the entire team compared to other supports.

Her healing for groups can run out and it's very possible to just stand there and be 100% unable to heal anyone due to orbs on cool down and out of spray.
Ok she is good vs a solo flanking hero trying to drop in with out team support and kill a random backline player.
That flanker should not be doing that anyways.

now do I think she is going to remain 100% as she is for the next 6+ months? No odds are they do something to make her a bit easier to kill. Made a slightly longer cool down on her fade? I don't know, I have no access to the data from games that show where she is or is not having impact. We just wait and see.
Moira doesnt have any team utility. She has 0. None. Other healers bring discord, speed boost, anti, sleep, resurrect.

Moiras ultimate is garbage compared to Lucio and Zens ultimates.

1. This is dependent on the player. Moira literally has the lowest dps in the game, using both grasp and orb she has the same dps as Mercy. Similar to Symmetra, this is countered by that damage being near guaranteed in consistency. But with her mobility being a burst ability, she is very susceptible to any amount of focus fire.

2. I would actually say Ana is. Tanks take a lot of damage and will quickly deplete Moira's reserves. Rather, Moira is the best group healer due to her cleave-like pattern to her spray. Such positioning makes her team vulnerable to AoE abilities such as Rip Tire. Her limited range also makes it very difficult to support anyone who doesn't stay near her, making it more difficult for her team to utilize flankers.

3. This is due to her multi-targeting nature and more a flaw of the PotG system. Throwing a damage orb into a team fight will get her credit for pretty much every kill, same with her ult. And all you really need is kill credit to receive PotG rather than actually doing the damage. Such as a time when I got a quintuple Death Blossom but the Play went to a Soldier who shot at the feet of everyone I killed, the game counting it as 5 non-ult kills for him which is valued higher than ult kills.

4. Ana, Mercy, and Moira are the three main healers. Lucio and Zen are typically considered secondary healers. Ana is notoriously difficult to play while Moira is much easier and also appeals to DPS players. The recent Mercy nerfs also turned a lot of people off her, at least for the time being. But even with a high pick rate, she isn't considered necessary to any comp. She's just a good pick but isn't so strong that she's considered a must-pick to win.
They need to nerf her range. and remove her from 1v1s because she just !@#$s you over so fast
02/14/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Noblessings
potg doesn't matter at all, that's like saying torb is op because of it
I means that you did lots of damage to many people in a set amount of time.
And it's may not be the single best reason to call a hero OP, it's a factor. I mean Moira Genji and Bastion have a very good kill securing ability once they get in the right position, and that's a reason to pick them.

02/14/2018 05:22 PMPosted by Pakaku
1.) Pretty much any class can out-DPS her, and her only advantage is a bit lock-on
Which is a massive advantage.
Like try to account for accuracy and reload time.
And if you calculate in the fact that she self heals, then no wonder people are upset about her.
I mean sure, she can't kill tanks efficiently, but I already addressed that.

02/14/2018 05:22 PMPosted by Pakaku
Her ult is an ult, so I don't think it's fair to count it as a factor to how her base form is balanced, and if she's only making POTGs through her ult and not, for example, just by making a good play through normal ult-less gameplay, I think that says a lot
She doesn't have that big of a "burst" damage normally, I mean it's 50 single target dps with a right click in the optimal scenario. It's not likely that will give you potg, on the other hand with the lock on mechanism, you can get pretty close to that optimal dps consistently. That and her self sustain makes her very good at a war of attrition.
02/14/2018 05:27 PMPosted by Tuofir
Lowest DPS in the game, unless you use gun AND orb that sacrifices healing and is on a cooldown (even then it's only 100 DPS on a single target)
Account for accuracy and reloads.
I mean sure, she can't bust barriers alone, but when your target is hard to hit, 50 guaranteed dps is a lot.

Mediocre ult
That ult is actually really good...

No mobility outside of fade
No mobility outside of her significant amount of mobility. Sorry, but this makes no sense.
Cuz she's a support braindead easy to use yet insanely powerful. That's balanced to people here. Mercy mains thought Mercy was balanced as well.

What's not balanced to these people is dps who is extremely hard to use yet insanely powerful, like Tracer and Genji.
02/15/2018 01:41 AMPosted by OneTrickPony
Cuz she's a support braindead easy to use yet insanely powerful. That's balanced to people here. Mercy mains thought Mercy was balanced as well.

What's not balanced to these people is dps who is extremely hard to use yet insanely powerful, like Tracer and Genji.

Obvious troll is obvious.

But of course it does. Since the nerf of Mercy, Moira is the closest hero to Mercy's mechanics, so they switched to her.

That ult is actually really good...

With some help, sure. Usually you can make sure squishies won't escape.

02/15/2018 01:33 AMPosted by SlayerAdam
No mobility outside of her significant amount of mobility. Sorry, but this makes no sense.

That was quite... weird argument. Fade is her strength but also her weakness. Use it wrong, you're doomed. It's very good at it is.

02/15/2018 01:41 AMPosted by OneTrickPony
What's not balanced

Sometimes it feels like "MOIRA MUST BE NERFED! NOW! I'm Genji main."
02/14/2018 05:57 PMPosted by Pickles
They need to nerf her range. and remove her from 1v1s because she just !@#$s you over so fast

A Genji Main that complain about her Range ?...... damn that is New im shocked
I personally think she's in a good place. I do think she's strong but not in a bad way, more like more heroes need to be as strong as her without being as broken and no skill as Mercy was.