Bad That I Went From Bronze to Gold Just With Moira?

Competitive Discussion
So for the first time in all of my 8 seasons of comp, I managed to get out of bronze (1314) and get to gold (2022). However, the only reason I got to gold to begin with was just playing Moira. Along my journey, there were some games where I couldn’t play Moira, because someone else wanted to play her. And since I’m a nice person, I let the other person play Moira and I would just play either DVA (if another tank was needed) or Lucio/Zen. That being said, I want to know if I should truly work on learning how to play other heroes that require actual aim skill, something that I lack in the most. And if so, what are some ways that I can learn these heroes?
I don't really think it's bad, i think it's good that you found a character that you and the game find good enough to climb with.

I had a similar experience with D.va, after maining Mercy for three seasons. One game, i actually did extremely well with D.va and got plat. Next season, wouldn't you know it, D.va got me plat again.

As for your question, i don't think you should force yourself to play a hero that you think you're not good at with. Because with feeling "good" playing a hero, comes confidence, and confidence is half the reason you found yourself ranking up.
Congrats!!

That is up to you being that there is no actual rule against 1 tricking just rampant reports that may effect you. But it is always encouraged to learn to flex.

Zarya/soldier/zen/dva/tracer are all very good hero’s to have in your pool. The easier ones in my opinion being Zarya/soldier to start out with.
I did more or less the same. Went from 2050 Sr to 2525 in three days by just playing Moira and Zen. The fun fact is: I'm a better dps than I'm a Moira player. My win rate as dps used to be 73%. Now that I'm in plat it's still around 60%. But in low Gold, it was mostly impossible to play dps.

If you don't cap the point after 30 seconds, all healers switch to dps because "i CaN CaRrY". And if you're winning too easily they can randomly switch too, because apparently everyone just wants to play dps. In every opportunity.

So I just started playing a lot of Moira and Zen because winning with no healers is almost impossible anyways. I get to sort of supply the lack of decent damage by our dps with Zen, and Moira can do a really good job of keeping suicidal tanks alive and finish off low health enemies with her orbs.

Here's a tip: practice one character from every role in Quickplay. Try to establish a 4 or 5 hero pool. But no more than that. My mistake that kept me from evolving was trying to flex too much. If the enemy has a Widow, I'd play a dive tank, if they had a Pharah I'd try to go Soldier. But it's mostly impossible to play too many chracters that well. Your performance will just be subpar.

So now I play 2 healers - my main role right now - and Genji as the main dps. If I'm forced to play tank I'll try to go D.va. Don't worry about the meta too much. There's no point in trying to help your team if your team doesn't want to help you. Play your strenghts, and you will climb. Trying to flex too much bellow Diamond is just not efficient.
Moria is way to OP. I think they should nerf her DPS and buff her healing. Most wont use her as a healer and the worst is when she is the only healer on your team. So its like you dont even have a healer because shes being used as a DPS. what was she intended for a DPS role or logistic?
02/15/2018 12:32 PMPosted by damnitbinks
Congrats!!

That is up to you being that there is no actual rule against 1 tricking just rampant reports that may effect you. But it is always encouraged to learn to flex.

Zarya/soldier/zen/dva/tracer are all very good hero’s to have in your pool. The easier ones in my opinion being Zarya/soldier to start out with.

See, I’ve never had anyone actually report me for being a one trick, and if they have, then I guess the reports never worked. As to your comment about my hero pool, I do agree that those heroes are good to have in my hero pool. However, my aiming is not quite good, so unless I spend hours of practicing my aim, I don’t think I’ll play Tracer anytime soon. I do want to learn Zarya though, so I’ll practice playing her.
Would you rely on semi as a solo healer? Well having a solo Moria is the same way of thinking. I understand it's baced on the pkayer. But lookvat all the people using her as DPS V LOGISTICS
02/15/2018 12:37 PMPosted by nosebleed
Moria is way to OP. I think they should nerf her DPS and buff her healing. Most wont use her as a healer and the worst is when she is the only healer on your team. So its like you dont even have a healer because shes being used as a DPS. what was she intended for a DPS role or logistic?
I absolutely agree with this 100%. I think that they should really nerf her right click and her damage orb, because 9/10 times that I’m in a game, I end up with gold eleminations, which is what a DPS/Tank player should be getting. And yes, I am guilty of not using her as a healer, which is not right for my team to suffer with no heals because of me.
Moira is fine. Stop screaming for nerfs where there is zero reason to do so.

Moira heals/dps is balanced. Period.
02/15/2018 12:41 PMPosted by JoeyTaeHyung
02/15/2018 12:37 PMPosted by nosebleed
I absolutely agree with this 100%. I think that they should really nerf her right click and her damage orb, because 9/10 times that I’m in a game, I end up with gold eleminations, which is what a DPS/Tank player should be getting. And yes, I am guilty of not using her as a healer, which is not right for my team to suffer with no heals because of me.

Moira has to do DPS to heal, and sending an orb into a group will tick just about everyone so you're not getting "true eliminations", you're getting little bits here and there. She is fine and can be countered.
02/15/2018 01:02 PMPosted by DocWolfe
02/15/2018 12:41 PMPosted by JoeyTaeHyung
... I absolutely agree with this 100%. I think that they should really nerf her right click and her damage orb, because 9/10 times that I’m in a game, I end up with gold eleminations, which is what a DPS/Tank player should be getting. And yes, I am guilty of not using her as a healer, which is not right for my team to suffer with no heals because of me.

Moira has to do DPS to heal, and sending an orb into a group will tick just about everyone so you're not getting "true eliminations", you're getting little bits here and there. She is fine and can be countered.

If I’m not getting “true eliminations”, why do I always end up with gold eliminations? Don’t you think that a support hero should only be getting gold in heals, not in damage or eliminations?
02/15/2018 01:09 PMPosted by JoeyTaeHyung
<span class="truncated">...</span>

If I’m not getting “true eliminations”, why do I always end up with gold eliminations? Don’t you think that a support hero should only be getting gold in heals, not in damage or eliminations?

She has to DPS to be able to heal. Moira is countered easily by roadhog, pharah, and dva easily.

Dva essentially nullifies her entire kit. Throw an orb, get it blocked. She was balanced in November and she is still balanced now. If Blizzard wants to make a separate category of "offensive assists", would that make you feel better? That way, your gold medal in eliminations wouldn't be going to your head.
Moira a good hero congrats
I did 1540 -> 2003 with Moira (started placement just on Feb 9). Haven't been in gold since S2 (not that I play much comp in S4 to S7 either). But she's great, especially at lower ranks where besides healing you take out enemy squishies who can't shoot and compensate for dps noobs on your team - perfect for low elo carry.

Btw, quite similar stats soulmate:

https://www.overbuff.com/compare/pc-Outcast-21168,pc-JoeyTaeHyung-1247?mode=competitive&hero=moira
There were reported cases of silver to masters with Mercy so you still have a long way to go yet but good luck I believe in you.
02/15/2018 01:09 PMPosted by JoeyTaeHyung
02/15/2018 01:02 PMPosted by DocWolfe

-Plays Winston

hai guyz i gt gold elimz im op wtf.

read: not understanding that 1dmg on someone who dies gives you a kill.
Moira's not a mechanically difficult hero. You can rack up a lot of gold medals for minimal effort.
The heroes you're using are all viable the higher you go and Zen's a great healer to practice dps with if you really want to work on it. Good work on the leveling by the way!
02/15/2018 12:19 PMPosted by JoeyTaeHyung
So for the first time in all of my 8 seasons of comp, I managed to get out of bronze (1314) and get to gold (2022). However, the only reason I got to gold to begin with was just playing Moira. Along my journey, there were some games where I couldn’t play Moira, because someone else wanted to play her. And since I’m a nice person, I let the other person play Moira and I would just play either DVA (if another tank was needed) or Lucio/Zen. That being said, I want to know if I should truly work on learning how to play other heroes that require actual aim skill, something that I lack in the most. And if so, what are some ways that I can learn these heroes?

Not at all, she is a potent hero with a lot of utility. She can heal her team, support attacks, and escape conflict.

Bronze/Silver is pretty much solo carry your team. This can be difficult to achieve if you are not a solid DPS player, and it is rare for teams to have a tank or healer. By fulfilling one of these roles, keeping yourself, and your team alive, your team has an advantage to win. Consistently.

Is it bad? No. Is it an indication that Moira is over-performing/powered? No.

Now you are in Gold there is more learning to be had, don't expect an easy ride to Platinum.
Moira is a balanced hero that can fluctuate between DPS and healing so not surprised. There are game I play her and end up having to act like a Soldier almost because DPS isn't cutting it and other games where my healing partner walks right past Tanks who need health and die so i have to do all the healing. She's a Swiss army knife of sorts.