Why can't Overwatch look like this?

General Discussion
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Q5Lm3
where are her ankles
02/18/2018 11:12 AMPosted by H4CK3D
where are her ankles
It's showing off her outfit lmao
for one thing, overwatch as a game needs to be as low poly as possible without sacrificing it's stylized character design. for another i think it'd be quite difficult to incorporate those many folds on an animated game. majority of the folds you see in the character models are literally built in there, meaning their movement doesn't actually affect the number of folds or the way folds happen. having too much detail like having folds match and move dependent on the hero's movement would be too unnecessary and require a lot of power from the game engine

edit: also too much details on a hero's model would be too distracting i think
This would ruin the colorful and cartoony design of Overwatch, they are not going for a realistic look with this game.
02/18/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Xian396
for one thing, overwatch as a game needs to be as low poly as possible without sacrificing it's stylized character design. for another i think it'd be quite difficult to incorporate those many folds on an animated game. majority of the folds you see in the character models are literally built in there, meaning their movement doesn't actually affect the number of folds or the way folds happen. having too much detail like having folds match and move dependent on the hero's movement would be too unnecessary and require a lot of power from the game engine

edit: also too much details on a hero's model would be too distracting i think
There are already games out there with this realtime folds technology or whatever incorprated in them.But even without the clothes physics
this artstyle would look cool
02/18/2018 11:24 AMPosted by SlickEmoji
There are already games out there with this realtime folds technology or whatever incorprated in them.But even without the clothes physics
i don't know these games, tho i would assume they aren't online? because face value wise the artstyle is practically the same. i mean they have the same stylized proportions. the only difference is the texture, probably higher poly, and better light rendering. all of which might take the game longer to "load" or process such graphics. and faster loading is ideal in overwatch and other fast based pvp games which is why (afaik) most competitive games lower the graphic settings so that there's not much delay
I like it as a casual Tracer, so to speak. No need to always be wearing sports/combat gear.
02/18/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Xian396
02/18/2018 11:24 AMPosted by SlickEmoji
i don't know these games, tho i would assume they aren't online? because face value wise the artstyle is practically the same. i mean they have the same stylized proportions. the only difference is the texture, probably higher poly, and better light rendering. all of which might take the game longer to "load" or process such graphics. and faster loading is ideal in overwatch and other fast based pvp games which is why (afaik) most competitive games lower the graphic settings so that there's not much delay
Maybe you are right but I still want it