Too many Unwinnable Matches

Competitive Discussion
Its crazy how many unwinnable matches I get put into. I am always being put on the team who is the underdog and always getting 4 Gold and lose again.

Proof is that I lose 20 SR or less per loss and gain a lot more for a win. This is not a new account. I am able to lose 30 more games than win and still stay between Gold 2300 - 2500 because of this.

I thought it was supposed to be 50/50 but its not the case for me.

Every game I have had to carry way too hard to win and even then lose the ones where I carried extremely hard. I ask myself, what more can I do?

I don't blame my teammates. They are just being put in an unfair match where the enemy team MMR is higher and the enemy has the advantage of winning even before the match starts.

The matchmaker makes our team the underdog. The enemy team are at their season high and on win streaks. My team including me are all on losing streaks. How can this be coincidence?

Another unwinnable match and another and another and another and another and then an easy win followed by another loss.

All I want is a match that is fair.
News at 7: Random matches are random.

Make sure you aren't looking at your matches with a confirmation bias. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias)

On a side note, to advance you need to play like you feel like you are carrying every match. If you don't feel like you are, you are likely sitting on the other end of the scale, (ie. part of the problem)
Ignoring your Draws, you have a 46.4% win rate, which is perfectly in line, if a little low. At a 2331 SR, you're slightly below the average of 2500, so those numbers are about right.
02/18/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Eclipse

You are misunderstanding what the devs are saying.
They never said you are meant to lose 50% of your games, and win 50% of your games. There are players out there with 70% wins.

What they said was, that they put you in matches, where they think you have more or less 50% chance to win:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753625906?page=1#post-13

Unfortunately, what "they think" are fair matches based on numbers does not always represent the reality of a situation.
Say you have 5 Diamonds and 1 Gold on one team and 5 Diamonds and 1 Gold on the other. Theoretically the match is fair, but in reality the match will be reduced to the two Golds.
One might pick something, with which he can hold his own, and the other might try to play a hit scan, even though he can't aim for [Edited by Blizzard].
Can you guess what the result is going to be? For the team with the gold hit scan, the match will feel unwinnable.
The matchmaker makes our team the underdog.

I am always being put on the team who is the underdog and always getting 4 Gold and lose again.

Proof is that I lose 20 SR or less per loss and gain a lot more for a win.

The points exchange is complicated. Sub Diamond, it takes personal performance into account. Then on top of that, there's also what you said -- are you the underdog or not. Then on top of that there is the map and whether or not you were favored on it, because not all maps are balanced. Say, if you lose without taking a single point on 2CP, even though the first point is considered easy for the attacker to take, you will lose more points.
The matchmaker makes our team the underdog. The enemy team are at their season high and on win streaks. My team including me are all on losing streaks. How can this be coincidence?

There are theories as to how this can happen. One is, that players that are performing poorly according to the matchmaking are marked for deraking, and are bunched together, so that they feed rating to people, that according to the matchmaker need to be higher than they are.
You might be missing one of several hidden metrics (not talking about medals), and then you start getting unwinnable matches one after another, despite you doing your best:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/7hb05p/i_have_finally_done_it_i_have_understood_the/

I don't know whether this is true or not, but I can definitely confirm, that it feels to be true. My highest SR is 2.8+, I usually gravitate around 2.7, but on occasion I've dropped to ~2.3, despite me giving it my best every time. A friend of mine has season high of 2.9 and I also saw him drop to like 2.3... it's ridiculous.

The phenomenon of getting bad streaks as you describe definitely exists, but as to why -- I'm not sure and I don't think it is important.
IMO do at least 60-70 games per Season if not more. Otherwise, you have no indication whatsoever as to where you approximately belong.
02/18/2018 03:57 PMPosted by Sarevok
you have a 46.4% win rate, which is perfectly in line, if a little low. At a 2331 SR, you're slightly below the average of 2500, so those numbers are about right

I don't think this is how it works at all, considering, that you can place on 3.2K+ with a negative win/loss ratio after placements, or you can grind at least till hitting Diamond with negative win/loss ratio due to the personal performance factor. Then on top of that, theoretically, your 45% wins can all be on maps, where you were disadvantaged and you were the underdog and that will compensate for the 55% of your losses.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
Its crazy how many unwinnable matches I get put into. I am always being put on the team who is the underdog and always getting 4 Gold and lose again.

Proof is that I lose 20 SR or less per loss and gain a lot more for a win. This is not a new account. I am able to lose 30 more games than win and still stay between Gold 2300 - 2500 because of this.

Every game I have had to carry way too hard to win and even then lose the ones where I carried extremely hard. I ask myself, what more can I do?

I don't blame my teammates. They are just being put in an unfair match where the enemy team MMR is higher and the enemy has the advantage of winning even before the match starts.

Another unwinnable match and another and another and another and another and then an easy win followed by another loss.

All I want is a match that is fair.

I find it interesting seeing so many posts like this recently.

Because this weekend I've dropped SR more than I ever have in these last two seasons. Today alone I went 5 wins 14 losses and a couple of draws. Total, I've lost 586 SR. 90% of my recent total losses have been due to leavers, or throwers. These things are absolutely out of my hands. Of course, I play my best because I wish to climb. But my losses due to rather silly things have had so much negative impact this weekend it's like being on a sinking ship.

To me, something does seem very strange, and I'd love to believe something is out of wack. But I can't truly say.

I've never had to play in Silver before -- especially not this low.
If you are gaining more SR for a win then a loss then don't complain. It means you are doing well.

Groups are what mess up the matchmaker. It's likely puting you into those matches to help offset because your MMR is likely high. If you are not in those games then it's likely going to put you with other players at your rank with higher then usual MMR which means you will have to try hard in those games too.

In fact if you want to climb you will likely end up having to play your best all the way back to where you were. Then you will have to again play your best to stay there.

It's interesting how a competative ladder requires you to play your best. It's almost like its set up to be competative and requires you to play competitively.
I appreciate all the feedback. Its true.

I have dropped down to Gold 2200 from Plat in a big losing streak many times over the course of several days. I lose exactly 20 SR per loss and sometimes as little as 13 SR. To drop from 2500 to 2200 I would have to lose 15-20 matches which is why it felt like the matches were unwinnable. Especially since I was carrying really hard in those losses having Four Golds, not dying a lot, as well as having 60% or higher kill participation card.

Because of this I have gone down to Gold 2200 and back up to Plat so many times I've lost count.

Then suddenly after the loss streak I get 10-15 easy to win matches where I am being called a smurf or booster in some cases. I get 27 - 35 SR per win and I gain back all the SR I lost and sometimes more until I am in Plat again.

It's frustrating.

PS - I played a match with a Diamond friend in a two stack. The enemies were Diamond and Plats. I was the only Gold. At the end of the match I had three gold with highest elims, obj kills and damage. Someone said angrily "Get carried by a Gold!". I knew he was talking about me cause I was the only gold player in the match.
You've played around 400 games and have 400 gold medals. Where are these 4 golds games coming from?

Oh right, you're just another immature player complaining on the forums about how it's everyone's fault but yours for your own inability to climb.
4 words.

End of the season.
02/18/2018 03:57 PMPosted by predat0r
News at 7: Random matches are random.

Make sure you aren't looking at your matches with a confirmation bias. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias)

On a side note, to advance you need to play like you feel like you are carrying every match. If you don't feel like you are, you are likely sitting on the other end of the scale, (ie. part of the problem)

they are not random as you think they really are
There are theories as to how this can happen. One is, that players that are performing poorly according to the matchmaking are marked for deraking, and are bunched together, so that they feed rating to people, that according to the matchmaker need to be higher than they are.

Yep, pretty sure this is why the game is so streaky. If the match maker worked properly you'd expect people, once at their skill peak, to be scoring WLWLWWLLWLLW etc. Not lose 10 games in a row.

And when I've lost 2-3 games and I hear a new team mate say "I've lost every game tonight. Let's see if we can win this!" And, of course, we don't...
It’s a terrible, streaky system and Bluzzard is trying to control people’s destiny for them. Playing feels like a constant battle with the rigged matchmaker.

Your previous games should have nothing to do with your current game. Instead, Blizzard is doing whatever the heck they’re trying to do with the hidden MMR and streaks. it’s just turning the entire game sour.
Case in Point.

I just played as Zen.

I got over 90 combined assists (offensive and defensive), 13,000 Gold Heals and 5,000 Trans Heals (18,000 total healing), Gold Elims, Gold Obj Kills, Silver Damage, and Gold Heals. We lost and I lost 23 SR. End of game card says 60% kill participation.