I am a Moira Player. Here is why you died.

General Discussion
02/19/2018 11:41 AMPosted by TrapWidow
enjoy it while you can. Moira will not be able to fade away from the future nerfs and reworks.

People will have plenty to complain about when the new hero is released and is even more over powered in its own unique way.

The cycle of Overwatch.

Maybe if you healed your team instead of tried dueling people all game you would have higher than 45% win rate on moria. I have 75% win rate on my alt and am not a moria main. WebKinzKing#11876

I see people doing that a lot. Making smurfs so they can brag about their inflated numbers they racked up with little amount of games played vs easy/inexperienced players.

Moira is a pub stomp as well, so that inflates it even more when you can easily solo out of position and over extended players. So I can see how you try to give the illusion that she has a high win rate because you must be so dang good with her vs really super good players and organized teams.

The best way to test your win rate is to play a ton of games while your Qp MMR is high and/or play a lot of comp games in plat+ where you don't just simply kill easy players constantly.
good until you realize this can be done for literally every hero. Half of these points also apply to symmetra :/
02/19/2018 04:02 AMPosted by Elminster
11. Because stupidity is not a right.
I think this is pretty much the point of the thread right there.
If you complain because you were killed by me, then it's because of one of the following reasons.

1. You were alone without a team and I will take my chances on 1v1ing you. Skirmish Initiated. Good luck!

2. By observing your team, I could tell they have low awareness and will not know I dived their back line. Blame your team, not Moira.

3. My team just did an ult or two and is engaging hard onto your team and I decided to do a surprise attack by diving behind your team and instantly flanking, knowing your team will be too busy dealing with whats going on. By doing this, the enemy healers (probably you) will be too busy dealing with me, Moira.

4. I have insane range. But because you have no frontline or they are currently on the ground in their own pool of blood, I can now right click you until you melt as I stay back near my frontline.

5. You are currently already engaged in some fight with someone on my team and I decided to right click you from the side. If this happened, your team was probably already losing the team fight at this point anyway and I am just simply speeding up your re-spawn process.

6. You are in the air and came too close. I am looking up and right clicking/chasing you until you die. Too bad your team did not kill me during the time I could not see any of them while focusing on you.

7. You got in the way of my Bouncing ball of doom while running around with nearly no hp left.

8. You like fighting in small rooms while a Moira is present.

9. You got killed by a Ball of Doom because you were not close enough to your team to absorb/split its damage. So thus, you took most of it and melted like a snowman while your healers were not paying attention.

10. You are out of position or over extended and are being punished.

I would like to point out that any time a Moira is flanking your team she is not healing her team. Since she is the healer with one of the greatest healing outputs she has put her own team at a massive disadvantage. Call it out so your team can take advantage of it.
Unpopular opinion:

In 2 of the OP's points, they mentioned flanking / diving. To me, it just doesn't make sense that a healer of all things should be doing these things or outputting the amount of damage they do.

Yes, you'll bring up that she has the lowest dps ... but her dps is super consistent and pretty forgiving if you compare Moira's beam to Zarya's beam. I'd be fine with the lock on, the distance, the amount of life drain, the amount of heal meter it restores, etc if the damage was reduced.

Again, unpopular opinion, feel free to downvote.

Also this: https://youtu.be/gJRx6Rm2I1Y?t=3m50s

"I'll say Moira's so fun, even though she's kinda brainless right now"
eyyyyy
well, on other hand symmetra is doomed against moira. one-sided battle, unless the moira is stupid.
no wonder why symmetra is dead everywhere now, so i guess there are no useful tips for this 1v1
02/19/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Dubious
Unpopular opinion:

In 2 of the OP's points, they mentioned flanking / diving. To me, it just doesn't make sense that a healer of all things should be doing these things or outputting the amount of damage they do.

Yes, you'll bring up that she has the lowest dps ... but her dps is super consistent and pretty forgiving if you compare Moira's beam to Zarya's beam. I'd be fine with the lock on, the distance, the amount of life drain, the amount of heal meter it restores, etc if the damage was reduced.

From my perspective it looks like Moira was designed to heal from behind her team but because she needs to output damage to rebuild her heal charge she needs a good range on her beam to be able to apply damage from that position.

I think the fade ability is the main problem causing players to try and DPS with her because she has been given the evasion ability of a flanker and the game has trained players to see characters who have these abilities as such.

The option of reducing her damage may help but it is already very low. Yes her damage is consistant but it takes a longer to eliminate a 200 health hero then any other character can including Zenyata.

Speaking of Zen, he has some high damage output for a support but the caviat is that his shots are projectiles and are harder to aim which makes his damage less consistant. I think it's better to go that rout with Moira and make the lock on much less forgiving to bring her in line with the other supports. I don't count Sym here because her purpose is not to heal and she needs some form of consistency because her other abilities are glass cannons.

I think Moira is awesome and fun to play. If she required more skill to aim with I would find that more fun and rewarding.
Because moira’s kit allows a support player of much lower skill to beat players with better skills, why pretend that’s not the actual reason?
rn shes literally a easier and more useful sym
people love to forget that her autolock is barely any different aim requirement wise and is twice as long compared to symmetras
but the forums really hate/couldn't care less about symmetra and adore moira, so yeah
moira is the hardest counter to sym along with winston, moira being the easier and more effective counter. you'll die to symmetra as moira only if you are actually stupid i mean
>fade
>unblockable damage orb
???
witch literally has everything, and a autolock beam at that
As a moira main, I can confirm this.
Additionally, I may be tapping into people’s life source here and then to gain some healing for my fellow teammates. Commence the sucking.
02/19/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Dubious
Unpopular opinion:

That game play footage was pretty terrible. It showed the enemy team getting destroyed and showing zero resistance and teamwork. Not because of Moira however. Like that Reinhardt charging in like a silver/gold player and dying instantly by himself. He just left his team very open to getting cleaned up.

I have played Moira against good organized comp teams and I assure you its a whole lot different.
Just replace Moira with Tracer and you get the same effect.
Unfortunately this community still goes ape for Tracer nerfs.
People always seem to forget that moving past moira's beam/orb breaks the connection. I've found it's actually easier to play into moira often times because the beam doesn't bend (even though half the community thinks its a Symmetra beam), and the orb just hurtles off into the distance. Just like you have to force out tracers blinks and recalls to duel her effectively, you have to bait out fade and orb. I don't understand how that's much different? Is it because she's a support?
02/19/2018 04:31 AMPosted by KaKao
I have the right to be stupid don't I?

Yes you do, but that right is taken away when Moira is around.
02/19/2018 11:41 AMPosted by TrapWidow
enjoy it while you can. Moira will not be able to fade away from the future nerfs and reworks.

Actually, I think Moira is quite well balanced. She can deal significant damage (in addition to healing) if played well and yet not too OP to ruin the fun for everyone else.
02/19/2018 12:57 PMPosted by sodartic
rn shes literally a easier and more useful sym
people love to forget that her autolock is barely any different aim requirement wise and is twice as long compared to symmetras
but the forums really hate/couldn't care less about symmetra and adore moira, so yeah
moira is the hardest counter to sym along with winston, moira being the easier and more effective counter. you'll die to symmetra as moira only if you are actually stupid i mean
>fade
>unblockable damage orb
???
witch literally has everything, and a autolock beam at that

This is probably what annoys me most when people are arguing for Moira nerfs.

Her lock-on is nowhere near Symmetra’s lock-on. Despite the fact I main her, I decided to test it for myself in the training room the other day just to have a visual example of my own. You can turn nearly 90 degrees with Symm’s beam still locked on a target doing damage. Moira’s disconnects if the crosshair moves approximately 2-3 inches from the target. Symmetra’s beam also stays locked on around corners. Moira’s beam requires LOS. Symmetra’s does not.

This is the biggest fallacy in nerf Moira threads and I really wish people would test it for themselves since they obviously aren’t playing either hero to notice the night and day difference.

Complaints about her range are probably what annoys me second. She is intended to be played in the backline, like any other support, healing her team. She needs that range to reach beyond the frontline to refill her heal tank. She needs her Fade to escape flankers that dive the backline. It’s the g*ddamn DPS Moiras that are really causing all the fuss, because they use those things completely wrong, screwing over their teams in the process. Moira should not be diving people. Ever! And I personally think the best way to prevent that is to nerf the damage orb. Using the damage orb combo on a target kills them much quicker than just leeching them. It would also stop it from killing squishies if the damage isn’t divided, but I don’t think it needs to have that much damage anyway, especially because all it really does is feed the enemy healers’ ultimates. I admit it’s satisfying to get a kill with the damage orb, but honestly if I throw one out and it doesn’t kill someone I just feel bad because I’ve just given away some ult charge.
Why is your average healing on Moira so low?
Ex-Mercy Main here. Every time I see another thread to Nerf another healer I check it out. I help down-vote the bad posts, the ones wanting to Nerf all healers/supports, you too Symmetra. Also, currently working hard to learn how to use Moira properly before going into Comp with her, since right now Mercy is sooooooo boring.
So I fully support the support players.
That being said, I would like to relay an incident that happened a week ago in Quickplay, opposing team was all Supports with 1 Genji. We couldn't stop them on attack or defense, no one on their team died. Just wanted to put that out there, since it was funny as hell :-D