An Open Letter - From: A Broken Sombra Main

Competitive Discussion
02/13/2018 11:01 PMPosted by Faking
Your stats are at the very top end of sombra and yet you are low platinum. If you played any of the main DPS characters with those sort of stats you wouldn't be in platinum. Now imagine the sort of work your average sombra does. You don't get to see that because you don't get to play with other sombra's on your team. Your teammates play with them every day. That is why they immediately start asking you to switch.

In fact your stats are so good I suspect this is your smurf account and your main is probably masters at least.

In platinum the average sombra is nothing short of a total liability to the team. Even with your insane sombra stats you are 26 wins and 26 losses. Your teammates are playing to win. Suggest you start playing to win games rather than to selfishly play a character that is clearly no good in platinum games.

You're kinda right. At times I do become selfish only because I believe that I should prove a point that Sombra is a good character to play as. But you see what my whole point is. You have to be very proficient with Sombra to see her value. She has to be more accessible to people so that Anyone can see her value. I do selfishly try to prove her value when I shouldn't, but only because ignorance bugs me. This is why I want Sombra changed though. So everyone can see her value and I will no longer have to go through this process of getting angry and trying to prove a point to everyone. The point will already be taken. I appreciate you taking the time to look at my stats and replying to my post :)
as a sombra / symmetra main in the same rank, i feel the pain. there are definitely games with people who flame me super hard for my pick or how they perceive my performance on that pick. on the whole though i have a good time and mostly people are genuinely nice. maybe you just had a bunch of butts for teammates today. if its a consistent thing that happens all the time maybe youre trying to defuse the situation too often. I find when people have it set in their minds that the reason the team is losing is one persons fault, there isnt going to be anything you can say to change their mind. just be quiet and make callouts and do your best to be helpful without directly engaging them. i stay very positive all through my matches, even losing ones. the only time i ever get too upset is when i perform horribly... but punching holes in walls goes a bit beyond normal gaming behavior man maybe play the game in short bursts? dont let yourself get to that point.
Jfc you're in top1000 Sombras.
I would pocket you anyday lmao
Why play only one hero?
I personally don't have any issues regarding what dps people play as long as they are doing their job and don't hardcounter themselves.
TLDR.

The vast MAJORITY of Sombra players are a guaranteed loss.

This is your root cause problem.

So congrats on mastering the worst character in the game - per community perception / actual results.
02/14/2018 12:16 AMPosted by NASCAR
as a sombra / symmetra main in the same rank, i feel the pain. there are definitely games with people who flame me super hard for my pick or how they perceive my performance on that pick. on the whole though i have a good time and mostly people are genuinely nice. maybe you just had a bunch of butts for teammates today. if its a consistent thing that happens all the time maybe youre trying to defuse the situation too often. I find when people have it set in their minds that the reason the team is losing is one persons fault, there isnt going to be anything you can say to change their mind. just be quiet and make callouts and do your best to be helpful without directly engaging them. i stay very positive all through my matches, even losing ones. the only time i ever get too upset is when i perform horribly... but punching holes in walls goes a bit beyond normal gaming behavior man maybe play the game in short bursts? dont let yourself get to that point.

Appreciate the sympathies and I hope you don't ever have a day like I had.
I also try my best to stay positive and yesterday was definitely a rarity. I think having a positive mental attitude will only take you so far though until you've had just too many flamers and you get worn down. I've been playing Overwatch since season 3 and just yesterday was my breaking point. 5 seasons worth of Sombra and the toxicity didn't get to me to that extent until just then.

I just really want Sombra to be in a position where I no longer have to justify myself or have people become uneasy just upon selecting her. It has just been way too prevalent for far too long... 5 seasons of it.
02/14/2018 01:39 AMPosted by Physics
Why play only one hero?

I know the post was very long and a tough read, but I mentioned fairly early on that I switch when I need too. Only in very specific situations to I become stubborn and stick to my Sombra guns. If you check my stats, I have plenty of hours on heroes like D.va, Ana, Mercy, Soldier, Winston, etc.
Sombra is by FAR my absolute favorite hero though and I think this game would be considerably less enjoyable to me if she were unplayable.
While I understand the original posters frustration, this game and its toxic player base is not worth punching a hole into your wall or risk hurting yourself over.

Do what I do. When team chat begins to break down and the players start their tirade, turn it off. I know my capabilities in the game and can flex when needed. It's just that circumstance where microphone communication goes downhill and can screw up the game just due to frustration and stress as you displayed. Turning off the microphone chatter actually allows you to peacefully enjoy the game and focus on what you're doing without the distractions of a toxic player or two.

Just my recommendation. You don't have to do this all the time, but I highly recommend it when microphone chat starts to lose control.
Your stats are at the very top end of sombra and yet you are low platinum. If you played any of the main DPS characters with those sort of stats you wouldn't be in platinum. Now imagine the sort of work your average sombra does. You don't get to see that because you don't get to play with other sombra's on your team. Your teammates play with them every day. That is why they immediately start asking you to switch.

In fact your stats are so good I suspect this is your smurf account and your main is probably masters at least.

In platinum the average sombra is nothing short of a total liability to the team. Even with your insane sombra stats you are 26 wins and 26 losses. Your teammates are playing to win. Suggest you start playing to win games rather than to selfishly play a character that is clearly no good in platinum games.

Bull!@#$.

I was #50 s76 last season and I barely got out of diamond.
Prime example of what happens when you think you're not doing poorly but are exposed for not doing anything, but instead think you're the victim.

I'm sorry, what? There's no such thing playing to win. I don't know what game you're playing, but it's certainly not overwatch. I started maining Sombra a bit last season, and I often end up carrying my team through hard-to-get points (Hanamura, Anubis, Eichenwalde or Horizon) in Diamond. I wouldn't be doing much more work with any other hero in these time, because the community has agreed that only a few characters are okay to use when they obviously fail to get the point time after time.

Overwatch is a team game, and yes, OP probably needs to adapt his pick to certain game. If he's got good stationary tanks who won't benefit from the fast sombra plays, then he should be able to adapt to fit his team. BUT the other is also true. Let's say you got a Winston on your team, and he easily manages to defeat the whole other team 3 times in a row. Suddenly, their team switches to a Reaper, what should you do as a player?

A : Ask the Winston to switch since he's got a counter or
B : Focus the Reaper hard so your Winston can continue his demolition work?

To me, the answer should always be B. You gotta figure out who's your best player and build around him in order to win in this game. If you just play meta without giving a !@#$ about how's the game actually going on, you're not playing to win, you're playing to feel like you're good. Being actually good in OW involves being able to pick off-meta characters in order to win a game.

So no, I don't think OP is so selfish as you said, I think his team is pretty selfish for not giving him a fair chance to do his job by thinking the meta is holy and should be respected.