New Sniper-tank idea

General Discussion
So I love playing tanks (I've clocked up a couple hundred hours on Xbox if you're wondering about my stats), but my problem is that none of the tanks are particularly aim-intensive. D.Va and Roadhog have shotguns, Reindhart has a hammer, Zarya's primary is just a relatively short-range beam and her alt is just a kind of grenade launcher, Winston requires very little aim, and Orisa is kind of just an assault rifle.

Enter my new tank idea. A sniper-esque tank. His kit would look something like this:
  • Around 400 health so he's a light tank like Zarya.
  • Main weapon is a big railgun of sorts. Lore-wise could shoot like 5kg titanium rods. It does around 100 damage per hit (maybe less cos this might be OP, and probably with some dropoff), and no critical multiplier, just 100 damage. This weapon would be hitscan, or very close to it, and would need a short charging period like Mei's icicle in order to be even remotely balanced. It is a piercing projectile as well, so while it doesn't go through barriers at all, it would be able to travel through every hero in the game (except defense matrix, Zarya barriers, etc). For example, if Rein drops his shield, you would be able to land a 100 damage shot through their whole team, like a fire strike but hitscan. This gun would likely have one shot per clip, and a medium reload to make it more balanced.
  • No movement abilities.
  • First ability: Retrieval. Calls the last shot back to your gun. So the idea is if you shoot something, you activate this, and the last shot that got lodged in a wall or went into the sky or whatever, is almost instantly returned to your railgun, doing damage again on the way back. So in the hypothetical situation above, where Rein drops his shield and you fire a shot through the enemy team, you can then activate this and call the shot back to your gun, doing ANOTHER 100 damage on its way back to anyone that it hits, or, getting lodged in Rein's barrier if it's back up again.
  • Second ability: Mag Field. Uses the railgun's magnets to project a magnetic field in front of you for one second that catches all projectiles that hit it, and shoots them back at the enemy after the ability expires (kinda like in Titanfall). It's kinda like Genji's deflect, but instead of being instant, you can catch a team's fire and aim specifically at one person after the ability expires.
Well if you've got this far, thanks for reading it! While I'm obviously biased, I think this could be a really valuable contribution to the tank roster in Overwatch, and may even attract a whole lot more DPS players to play a tank role since it offers the aim-intensive, and ability-intensive gameplay. Hell, you could even add a scope and draw some people off Widow hahahaha.

Thanks, for reading! Feel free to comment any replies below!

Edit: Please don't just downvote...actually tell me why you don't like it! Cheers!
A tank needs to be close-mid range in order to fulfill their role.
I do wish we had another sniper. Cool ideas, especially the return ability
A tank needs some kind of decent close-mid range, I don't think the mag-field would be enough to support this.
02/16/2018 11:17 PMPosted by DeathVaderrr
So I love playing tanks (I've clocked up a couple hundred hours on Xbox if you're wondering about my stats), but my problem is that none of the tanks are particularly aim-intensive. D.Va and Roadhog have shotguns, Reindhart has a hammer, Zarya's primary is just a relatively short-range beam and her alt is just a kind of grenade launcher, Winston requires very little aim, and Orisa is kind of just an assault rifle.

Enter my new tank idea. A sniper-esque tank. His kit would look something like this:
  • Around 400 health so he's a light tank like Zarya.
  • Main weapon is a big railgun of sorts. Lore-wise could shoot like 5kg titanium rods. It does around 100 damage per hit (maybe less cos this might be OP, and probably with some dropoff), and no critical multiplier, just 100 damage. This weapon would be hitscan, or very close to it, and would need a short charging period like Mei's icicle in order to be even remotely balanced. It is a piercing projectile as well, so while it doesn't go through barriers at all, it would be able to travel through every hero in the game (except defense matrix, Zarya barriers, etc). For example, if Rein drops his shield, you would be able to land a 100 damage shot through their whole team, like a fire strike but hitscan. This gun would likely have one shot per clip, and a medium reload to make it more balanced.
  • No movement abilities.
  • First ability: Retrieval. Calls the last shot back to your gun. So the idea is if you shoot something, you activate this, and the last shot that got lodged in a wall or went into the sky or whatever, is almost instantly returned to your railgun, doing damage again on the way back. So in the hypothetical situation above, where Rein drops his shield and you fire a shot through the enemy team, you can then activate this and call the shot back to your gun, doing ANOTHER 100 damage on its way back to anyone that it hits, or, getting lodged in Rein's barrier if it's back up again.
  • Second ability: Mag Field. Uses the railgun's magnets to project a magnetic field in front of you for one second that catches all projectiles that hit it, and shoots them back at the enemy after the ability expires (kinda like in Titanfall). It's kinda like Genji's deflect, but instead of being instant, you can catch a team's fire and aim specifically at one person after the ability expires.
Well if you've got this far, thanks for reading it! While I'm obviously biased, I think this could be a really valuable contribution to the tank roster in Overwatch, and may even attract a whole lot more DPS players to play a tank role since it offers the aim-intensive, and ability-intensive gameplay. Hell, you could even add a scope and draw some people off Widow hahahaha.

Thanks, for reading! Feel free to comment any replies below!

Edit: Please don't just downvote...actually tell me why you don't like it! Cheers!

Ult?
02/16/2018 11:29 PMPosted by Osho
That is true Osho and Puppydemon, but the idea of being a low health tank (like Zarya) is that you could move between the front line and the back line, and the lack of headshot crit multipliers would also allow you to just focus on hitting shots at any range. But yeah you guys are right!
02/16/2018 11:36 PMPosted by TriVenom

Ult?

I just added one, but yeah whoops forgot about that. Any ideas?
U can't get all in one advantage...imagine a tank of 500 health sniping everyone ...even Winston dva genji will not be able to kill it before the snipe..a sniper is perfect at 200 health.. And we already have 2 types of sniper dont need another one.. And if u wanna tank with aim try orisa
It would inevitably be f tier with that kit, interesting idea though
But every time a tank is anything but a meat wall people just complain :O
02/16/2018 11:54 PMPosted by SkullCrusher
U can't get all in one advantage...imagine a tank of 500 health sniping everyone ...even Winston dva genji will not be able to kill it before the snipe..a sniper is perfect at 200 health.. And we already have 2 types of sniper dont need another one.. And if u wanna tank with aim try orisa

I did say only 400 health, like Zarya is, and Zarya is a midline tank. Since there's no movement abilities he wouldn't be able to get to sniper-ey spots, so he'd have to always be accessible. And I also did comment on why Orisa isn't what I dream of...
Seems like a cool idea, could probably use some tweaking. At the very least, there should be more medium ranged aim intensive tanks in the game to attract more DPS players to fill that roll, since it's pretty hard to find good tank mains.
02/17/2018 12:19 AMPosted by Meleenium
Seems like a cool idea, could probably use some tweaking. At the very least, there should be more medium ranged aim intensive tanks in the game to attract more DPS players to fill that roll, since it's pretty hard to find good tank mains.

Exactly! I like your thinking!
For the weapon, I think you should take a look at the railgun from Halo 4, it can be used at longer ranges but excels in medium range, maybe that could be what the railgun could be like for your sniper-tank
02/17/2018 12:58 AMPosted by SlpstremTech
For the weapon, I think you should take a look at the railgun from Halo 4, it can be used at longer ranges but excels in medium range, maybe that could be what the railgun could be like for your sniper-tank

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking of in terms of charge times and everything! That what I thought could be amazing!
02/16/2018 11:29 PMPosted by Osho

That's not accurate at all...
A tank just needs to be able to mitigate or prevent damage for either themself or allies in some way. How far they can shoot is irrelevant.
If Orisa could deal damage at long range as opposed to medium range, is she suddenly not a tank? Does she suddenly lose the ability to throw down barriers for her and team or fortify herself?