Stance on "boosting"

Competitive Discussion
whats blizzards stance on a "silver" or a "gold" rated player duoing with a "diamond" friend to get into plat and then dropped off in that rank.

its not duo together because they're buds. its a clear cut case of boosting.

do you condone that behavior?

that player is likely to stop playing, or just lose game after game after he gets his season high rating / reward bracket.

second question. account sharing, dva main in silver/gold for 3 straight seasons, now a genji/tracer/mccree player with a 100% win rate.

i report all of it but have gotten 0 feedback that you are interested in this "cheating" (unintended ways of playing the game for gain) ((and ToU violations))

Forum Moderator Note: Thread title edited as asking for an "official response" is against the Forum Guidelines.
Merely grouping together is not bannable.

If the higher ranked player throws games to get down to a rank where he can partner with someone to boost them, that is bannable.

Account sharing is bannable.
Grouping up like that doesn't always go well for the higher rank. It will try to find a duo that has the same diamond/gold combo. If it doesn't then it will find an average SR team that is above the SR of the average of the duo. This can sometimes create a much more cohesive opposing team that is more likely to work together then the team with the duo.

The gold silver player also becomes a crutch to the match as they are less likely to understand proper positioning and have the performance to keep up. It becomes more like a 5v6 at that point. Given the added effect that the higher rank player takes huge hits to their SR of they lose its not worth it.

The only effective way to make this consistant is if a top tier player let's their account decay and then groups with the player then you have a problem.
Silver is not able to queue with diamond.

The SR values are matched to equal opponents, if youre not playing at the time with the lowest playercount you shouldnt have any issues whatsoever with getting rather balanced opponents to counter that duo.

You can't boost that way if youre just a diamond player.
Matches will be too balanced.

An interesting point though, is that grandmaster players who decayed to diamoned can possibly boost players that way, because they tend to roflstomp through diamond.
02/18/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Roflknife

The SR values are matched to equal opponents, if youre not playing at the time with the lowest playercount you shouldnt have any issues whatsoever with getting rather balanced opponents to counter that duo.

You can't boost that way if youre just a diamond player.
Matches will be too balanced.

An interesting point though, is that grandmaster players who decayed to diamoned can possibly boost players that way, because they tend to roflstomp through diamond.

Lol, we literally said the exact same thing in different ways but in the same order. Let's be friends.
Q1) I mean it COULD be that they are friends, but it sucks to see a pairing nearly 1,000 SR difference and a high chance they are trying to boost them (be it friend or not). If you hit high plat/low diamond you see this A LOT. More suspicious if the low ELO player jumps on a generally easy char like Mercy, Torb, Symmetra, etc. But unless you can fully prove they are boosting, sadly not against the rules.

Why I wish the SR range was changed to 500 even for diamond and plat at least.

Q2) I’ll report them if it’s that suspicious. I ran into a typically high plat player who fell to mid-plat. Their DPS (Soldier/McCree) was absolutely amazing. Check stats and they play exclusively healer for all seasons, all game modes suddenly tearing it up as DPS? Yeah, most likely handed their account over to someone for boosting.

From what I hear too, boosting is most prevalent in the last 7 days of comp as the boosted accounts don’t have to worry about decay then.
Account sharing is OK
Don't expect everyone to have multiple copies
Some people have to share one account
02/18/2018 10:25 PMPosted by GreenVGC
Account sharing is OK
Don't expect everyone to have multiple copies
Some people have to share one account
No it's not.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/30182

"Only you are allowed to access an account registered in your name.... You may not share your account or password with anyone, except if you are a parent or guardian, in which case you may permit one minor child to use your account."

There's more to it, but you're wrong. Account sharing is not okay.
Who the hell follow rules. They're written guidelines anyway

i was in a game with a bronze player queuing with an unranked masters player. they can queue together if the diamond player is unranked
02/18/2018 10:49 PMPosted by monkaTHINK

i was in a game with a bronze player queuing with an unranked masters player. they can queue together if the diamond player is unranked
I've seen "diamond" with Silver a lot. What happens is the Diamond drops barely into Plat so they're within 1000 SR.

But yes, I've seen even two GMs currently unranked doing their placements with a bronze player. Which is really odd considering they won't allow a placed Masters/GM to que with anyone who hasn't done placements, but they'll allow unplaced masters/GM que with anyone who is placed. Like what?
02/18/2018 10:49 PMPosted by monkaTHINK

No, theyre not able to. Even if youre not ranked yet the game uses your previous SR and you cant queue if youre more than 1k SR apart.

Unless you suggest buying a brand-new account in order to play 10 games that is.
02/18/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Roflknife
No, theyre not able to. Even if youre not ranked yet the game uses your previous SR and you cant queue if youre more than 1k SR apart

both were over 100 in levels, they are able to it doesnt stop them if they are unranked
02/18/2018 11:21 PMPosted by monkaTHINK
No, theyre not able to. Even if youre not ranked yet the game uses your previous SR and you cant queue if youre more than 1k SR apart

both were over 100 in levels, they are able to it doesnt stop them if they are unranked

Assuming youre talking about accounts that never played ranked matches in their whole account history - Would be a pretty expensive hobby to play 10 matches with a friend for 40€.
Not a systemic issue, really.

Smurfing is though, which is another story.
No, theyre not able to. Even if youre not ranked yet the game uses your previous SR and you cant queue if youre more than 1k SR apart.

Unless you suggest buying a brand-new account in order to play 10 games that is.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EasyBelovedAntPJSugar

Yes, they are able too. See this Bronze playi8ng with Masters and GMs? See SlayerGramps check PVP's account at least to see he peaked top 500 and ended really high Masters and was Masters for multiple seasons before that?

Yeah, if it's not possible then explain the clip.
they played before, i was able to look at past seasons
02/18/2018 11:54 PMPosted by BlueFountain

Yes, they are able too. See this Bronze playi8ng with Masters and GMs? See SlayerGramps check PVP's account at least to see he peaked top 500 and ended really high Masters and was Masters for multiple seasons before that?

Interesting to say the least.

We could never queue with each other that way. Said we were too far apart.
Last time we tried it was 2 days ago and it said it.

I guess it's not intentional, but I'm really curious how they managed to queue together.
So what's the big deal
That master or higher rank player is helping his friend to climb

It's better for him and his team.
02/19/2018 01:32 AMPosted by GreenVGC
So what's the big deal
That master or higher rank player is helping his friend to climb

It's better for him and his team.

until the two can no longer play together and the recipient is forced to either play outside of comp or lose game after game on his way back down to silver.

i can very clearly and easily look at prior seasons and see several for the player in diamond, and the player in bronze, season high gives it away even if their emblem no longer matches.

1k SR is far too much of a spread to enable grouping and fair games.

and its not even a question of the two just wanting to play together in competitive, its strictly "yo dude, can you get me to platinum for my end of season reward and so my friends think im good at overwatch."

it is blatant SR manipulation and thats outright cheating.
02/18/2018 11:54 PMPosted by BlueFountain

Blizzard only fixed this exploit recently (and silently). Several people have mentioned it in the last few weeks when they tried to group outside of their proper range in placements.