the ult loss change was a disaster

General Discussion
total failure
To certain heroes, not all of them
any.. reasoning?
cause keeping your ult even if you died while the animation was going was dumb and punished stopped an ult before it does anything

EDIT: to clarify

what the guy under me said is basically my opinion
For some heroes, yes.

Particularly Mei, Lucio, Ana, Tracer, etc. anyone who has a projectile/cast-based ultimate that dies and loses it.

It makes no sense.
True story. One time the enemy Genji was Nano'd and pulled out his sword (me playing Ana) I luckily put him to sleep the second he pulled it out. Mind you our Zen used his Trans as a reflexive response, the Genji was then protected by his team and as he woke back up he immediately pulled out his sword again (because my sleep dart reset the damn ult)! Then proceeded to wipe our team because this time our Trans was already used up.

Yup, we were punished because I slept the swording Genji.

With that said I disagree with you 100% OP. Git Gud. Never had I been more frustrated over Genji's ult in my life.
02/18/2018 10:01 PMPosted by JakuNonon
To certain heroes, not all of them

Right ... pretty sure OP knows that and was commenting on the heroes that it impacted.

Thanks, Captain Obvious!!!
press q and get a hs from widow across the map. you should somehow knew it was coming...
No it's not
Ult is a one time thing so you need to use it wisely if not enjoy the ult loss
02/18/2018 10:05 PMPosted by JimmyCarter
True story. One time the enemy Genji was Nano'd and pulled out his sword (me playing Ana) I luckily put him to sleep the second he pulled it out. Mind you our Zen used his Trans as a reflexive response, the Genji was then protected by his team and as he woke back up he immediately pulled out his sword again (because my sleep dart reset the damn ult)! Then proceeded to wipe our team because this time our Trans was already used up.

Yup, we were punished because I slept the swording Genji.

With that said I disagree with you 100% OP. Git Gud. Never had I been more frustrated over Genji's ult in my life.

I just threw up on my cat.
It's pretty simple to make this all make sense. Ults that are projectiles that characters throw & forget should be thrown instantly and not get cancelled, used up, but not cancelled. Ults that transform a character giving them massive buffs should be cancelled. It's so inconsistent too. It's not like a Dva bomb projectile explosive disappears if mini Dva dies, but Mei's ult disappears out of midair. Junkrat's tire doesn't disappear if he dies either. I think Pharahs rockets stop firing,but I don't think ones on the air already disappear. The fact that it's the weakest most counterable ults like Mei's area control ult that suffers while the most powerful area control ult (Zarya) has no issue with this just adds to how ridiculous this is.
02/18/2018 10:05 PMPosted by JimmyCarter

It's funny you mention Genji because this change to how ult loss works was requested by players almost specifically in the context of Genji. Genji in particular was a horrible example because it's so rare to catch Genji in a vulnerable state during his ultimate that even when you did outplay him, he got to keep his ult in circumstances where just about any other hero would lose it completely.

But after this change, what we saw was Genji's ultimate got buffed so that while he does have to commit to his ultimate, he doesn't get interrupted out of it when stunned during the transformation. All Blizzard needed to do, if they wanted to keep it simple, was make it so Genji's ultimate drained immediately upon activation, not once the blade was only fully drawn, and then make this consistent with all other heroes that have a cast time. Instead we got a flat change to everyone that has made some ultimates feel extremely inconsistent, if not flat-out weaker.

I still disagree with this system. There's so much in this game that can interrupt an ultimate simply by chance that the risk is abnormally high, especially for abilities that are meant to drive the game. A better fix, in my opinion, would have been that pressing Q immediately drains a set percentage of your ultimate, and then drains as normal from there, thus preventing situations where you press Q, get interrupted, and then press Q again to continue what you were doing. This would make those quick reactions to stop an ultimate early still successful in stopping an ultimate, but without crippling people that are simply caught in the chaos of a fight and yet doing what they're supposed to be doing. Hi, Lucio and Mei.
It only needed to effect Genji.

But Genji is the only one not affected.

#Favoritism
rein and lucio suffers right now. genji was indeed the problem and genji is somehow the only one who is protected.
I thought this topic died. The community hunted genji, and It turns out the community got punished for it. Now every hero has an equal change occur to them. It’s really not that big of a deal. It doesn’t happen that often, sure it sucks when it happens to you, but that’s a reality of this game now. It’s nobody’s fault but the community’s.
02/18/2018 09:55 PMPosted by Killbill
total failure

On what metric? Care to elaborate?
???? as soon as your ult voice line starts is when your ult charge should reset to 0%... if you died halfway through deploying it then you shouldnt have used it in the first place or have done it sooner
You could take 26 different people who all main a different hero and 25 of them will say that Genji not losing his Ultimate is not only unfair, but just another passive ability. Only the Genji main will say "completely fair, working as intended"
Eh, it's better in many ways, worse in others.

There's a few ways they could fix things for certain heroes/type of ults though, if they just do that, it'll be perfect.
blizzard has a horrible habit of making changes to the fundamental mechanics that ruin other characters as a result

Ult loss was done because genji ulting too often was a problem, just like how Winston's leap was messed up so they changed aerial momentum which then ruined Lucio. Why not just fix the fuccking problem instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Bastion. o-o Just.... Why..

I never get to live through the transformation anyways..