Why can't Doomfist aim his punch vertically?

General Discussion
Unlike Genji's dash, Doomfist only can punch horizontally, he can't aim up to go in the air or down. Seems like a simple buff to make Doomfist slightly stronger and feel way better, and give him a bit more playmaking potential.
They problably didn't wanted to give him two skills he could use to go up (Since he can use Rising Uppercut for that already).

Not saying they shouldn't tho... I hardly see a effective Doomfist at all.
2 reasons:

1) It does so much stinking damage if it lands fully charged and someone hits a wall. With the wall mechanic being in place, you don't want someone just to jump up and smack people against every floor around for more damage. Limiting it's potential use keeps its inclusion more reasonable from a balance perspective.

2) It helps their team when it comes to coding in collision detection. If you thought wall slides were bad now... introducing more angles = more potential for slides and wonky interactions.
That would be so much more fun if he could rocket punch up in to the sky followed by an uppercut, imagine how much air he would get.
02/19/2018 01:23 PMPosted by Sheevah
2 reasons:

1) It does so much stinking damage if it lands fully charged and someone hits a wall. With the wall mechanic being in place, you don't want someone just to jump up and smack people against every floor around for more damage. Limiting it's potential use keeps its inclusion more reasonable from a balance perspective.

2) It helps their team when it comes to coding in collision detection. If you thought wall slides were bad now... introducing more angles = more potential for slides and wonky interactions.

Probably true, though I find that when I play doomfist, if I miss a punch, I just die. Even if you land a punch, you still often die because you're over extended. And yeah bugs are certainly an issue too.
02/19/2018 01:27 PMPosted by WalterWhite
Probably true, though I find that when I play doomfist, if I miss a punch, I just die. Even if you land a punch, you still often die because you're over extended. And yeah bugs are certainly an issue too.

If you find yourself missing punches and landing in a deathtrap consistently, I'd recommend using rocket punch (with its tiny little hitbox) primarily for mobility. Focus more on using slam, uppercut, and your primary fire to land/confirm kills.
02/19/2018 01:27 PMPosted by WalterWhite
02/19/2018 01:23 PMPosted by Sheevah
2 reasons:

Well yeah... that's why they gave him the shield when he damages people.

It's like rein... he dies a lot whenever he charges in, even with all that health.

So with DF... they made it really strong (if you can knock them into a wall). High-risk, high-reward.
Because Genji and Pharah players would complain that a 'NO SKILL NO AIM DPS' could hit them instead of flailing uselessly on the floor.