Matchmaking Is A Complete JOKE

General Discussion
I spent 3 seasons...........3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trying to get out of bronze. I finally did it and now that I'm in silver, matchmaking is worse than it ever was.

Why am I getting paired with teammates that are below 1300 SR? Aren't people supposed to get better as you rank up? Why are my teammates getting worse? I got up to over 1550 SR in two games, then I proceed to get paired with teammates that are sub 1300 SR, for 3 straight games. Where's the logic here? When I was in bronze, all I ever seen was bronze players. The only time I would see a silver, which was rare, was when people queue'd together. At most it was two people in a queue. Can say that 99% of my games were ALL bronze players.

Why am I seeing so many bronze players after getting to silver and why is the disparity between SR so high? This average SR needs to go. No reason a sub 1300 player should be in a SILVER game. What's the point in climbing if I'm getting paired with the same/worse teammates? Someone please explain. Now before you ask, not only did I check, more than a handful of players openly said what their SR was during my time on the game. To me, this is completely unacceptable. I've seen more bronze players than silver since I got here. And of course, the opposing team is always more than capable of destroying them. There's no doubt in my mind now, matchmaking is 100% against you climbing anywhere, at least down here.

I was hoping once I got up to silver, I would get better teammates. NOPE. What does this game have against ranking up and why does it so blatantly stack every possible odd against you when you solo Q? I'm ready to just scrap this game altogether. Is competitive ever going to be fair? What's the point of trying to rank up if the game is going to put you in an endless loop of bad matchups? I spent 3 seasons trying to get away from this stuff, and now I find out it's going to continue. There are more than enough players on the game, there is no reason you can tell me as to why I'm still getting shafted by the matchmaker. CLEARLY there is a massive hole in comp that needs fixing, so why are we still ignoring it? I'm tired of this. If I'm 1500+SR, there should never be anybody sub 1300 in my game. PERIOD.

Lastly, yeah, I'm pretty angry about this. It's absolutely disgusting.
Matching sites such as tinder and eharmony probably try to match you with the wrong “type” of people because if they get it right you have no need to use their product
You never play in ranked games with only your SR. I regularly see a mix of masters, GM, top 500 and even diamonds in my games. It's pretty common to have people within 1 rank of you in either direction.This is especially true when you're close to the SR cut off between ranks.

02/20/2018 12:08 AMPosted by WutTheDeuce
There's no doubt in my mind now, matchmaking is 100% against you climbing

Think about this logically. How could it be true? The game can't be rigged against everyone. Every game that has a loser has a winner. Unless you mean the system is rigged against you specifically. In which case, I'd say why would you think the devs would bother?
Trust me, I was a mid gold and now struggling at low gold cause of how things are going, it is elo hell as you get put against teammates that either are great or the worst. It's annoying when you start reaching to the mid or high levels, they start staking against you, it's because they want to see how well you can do against a stronger team based.
And we can't ignore of the luck if you get 4 supports (or whatever playstyle) that barely play any other class, matchmaking is kinda just a random guessing game in itself.
02/20/2018 01:00 AMPosted by Xianos
Trust me, I was a mid gold and now struggling at low gold cause of how things are going, it is elo hell as you get put against teammates that either are great or the worst. It's annoying when you start reaching to the mid or high levels, they start staking against you, it's because they want to see how well you can do against a stronger team based.
And we can't ignore of the luck if you get 4 supports (or whatever playstyle) that barely play any other class, matchmaking is kinda just a random guessing game in itself.

Right, but in the end it evens out. For every game where you have 5 healer one tricks on your team, you get one where the same is true of the other team.

There is no ELO hell. If you play enough games, you get ranked within a few hundred points of where you should be.
Listen, I know this might be hard to swallow, but the reason that you're not climbing is not because "matchmaking is against you" or "ELO hell". It's you. You're the reason. Don't hope for good teammates, BE the good teammate.
From what I have observed match making actually actively tries to keep players around 50% win rate.

Whenever I get on a win streak I am sure to hit that losing streak at some point as well because the match making throws players into situations in which it is almost impossible to win.

The only way to rise is pretty much to compete with your team mates and be the best of your team. If you do well, you lose less SR than you gain which means that even with a 50% win rate you will slowly climb out of the low SR areas.
02/20/2018 01:06 AMPosted by Hombold
From what I have observed match making actually actively tries to keep players around 50% win rate.

Whenever I get on a win streak I am sure to hit that losing streak at some point as well because the match making throws players into situations in which it is almost impossible to win.

No dude, the system doesn't try to keep you at a 50% win rate. It does its best to put you into a game where you have an even chance of winning.

The reason it can feel like this is the game adjusts how good it thinks you are after each win or loss. If you win a bunch, the game will think you are much better then it thought you where at the beginning of the session. Thus, you'll be placed in games with better players. If you haven't really improved, you'll likely get stomped until the game figures out where you really should be.
Eh it's the same as you climb, I climbed up to high platinum and diamond players would duo with a gold player it was hell especially if the diamond player goes mercy (nothing against mercy mains) and the gold player goes dps, it's a guaranteed disadvantage.
Honestly, I think internal MMR kinda ruins things for some people, and it's why smurfs are so popular.

That said, nowadays I don't play for any reason other than improvement; if I end up going back into competitive, I'll at least be better regardless of how my hidden MMR has me as a perma-gold player.

I haven't played enough games to fight that, though, so I have myself to blame for the most part.

Short seasons make me hesitant to even place, because I know that playing those 10 games will put me in the 2100-2300 range, and that's not very exciting to me and doesn't pique my curiosity.

So, I am getting the feeling that your hidden MMR might think you belong in bronze despite fighting up to silver, and it's testing to see if you should be up there.

Just a guess, though.