CTF affects MMR

Competitive Discussion
So i just wanted to share my experience the last week or so and get some feedback.

Was ranked 2100 and placed 2800 in ctf

(Playing only dva, as I do in comp. Side topic but point is im not playing different heroes in ctf)

Matches were much better. My teamates AND opponents were much better and led to much more fun games. So started playing only ctf and pushed to diamond

(Everyone in my games had a normal comp sr of plat - master)

(I noticed in gold I would remember an oppenent for being bad, to pick on them next round. While in diamond it would be they're pretty good watch out for them next round)

After getting diamond, I went back to normal comp gained like 400 sr very easily and made plat

Do you think CTF boosted my MMR?

What is your CTF vs comp rating?

Should I continue playing CTF untill next season placment to keep mmr high?
I think CTF comp just doesn't take much skill tbh and basically the best one tricks will climb, there are no counter picks which really takes away the point of comp.
lol I went 8-2 in my CTF placements and my SR was 3 away from my competitive SR. both in diamond, this raises suspicions of the removal of mmr from that level of play.
02/16/2018 09:42 AMPosted by BouncyKnight
So i just wanted to share my experience the last week or so and get some feedback.

Was ranked 2100 and placed 2800 in ctf

(Playing only dva, as I do in comp. Side topic but point is im not playing different heroes in ctf)

Matches were much better. My teamates AND opponents were much better and led to much more fun games. So started playing only ctf and pushed to diamond

(Everyone in my games had a normal comp sr of plat - master)

(I noticed in gold I would remember an oppenent for being bad, to pick on them next round. While in diamond it would be they're pretty good watch out for them next round)

After getting diamond, I went back to normal comp gained like 400 sr very easily and made plat

Do you think CTF boosted my MMR?

What is your CTF vs comp rating?

Should I continue playing CTF untill next season placment to keep mmr high?

How on earth could you believe anything that you have said in this post. It is astonishing. I wouldn't even know where to begin in explaining how absurd this idea is
02/16/2018 10:09 AMPosted by kidsmitty
lol I went 8-2 in my CTF placements and my SR was 3 away from my competitive SR. both in diamond, this raises suspicions of the removal of mmr from that level of play.

From my placement matches I could tell is was a seperate mmr. I started facing golds and silvers (comp sr), and kept going up, while comp placements even when I go 8-2 with great stats my oppenents will have same sr throughout.

02/16/2018 10:08 AMPosted by Dashy
I think CTF comp just doesn't take much skill tbh and basically the best one tricks will climb, there are no counter picks which really takes away the point of comp.

I feel like comp gametypes require resets and grouping back up for another push, which is difficult in solo queue when majority doesnt have mics. So its been a fun competitive alternative for solo queue for me.
02/16/2018 10:31 AMPosted by aflyguy

How on earth could you believe anything that you have said in this post. It is astonishing. I wouldn't even know where to begin in explaining how absurd this idea is
Well try to explain because that wasn't too productive lol.

First of all im just speculating, but we know having a higher mmr will make sr climb easier right?

So if I go from winning against gold and silvers to winning against diamonds (normal comp sr) is it so unfathomable to think that might have raised my mmr ?

And following I had an easy climb, supporting the idea, so help me out with the absurdities?
02/16/2018 10:50 AMPosted by BouncyKnight
So if I go from winning against gold and silvers to winning against diamonds (normal comp sr) is it so unfathomable to think that might have raised my mmr ?
Two wins after my buddies placements got him 100+ SR that put him into diamond (CTF SR). I'm still gold..(CTF SR)
We did all his placements together and the 2 games after. And when I got near plat, we lost.
All information that we have is that MMR from the various modes are separate. I don't have an exact quote on competitive CTF vs normal competitive, but I would be shocked if the MMRs are mixed because that would be a horrible design.

I suspect you have just either gotten better as a player or played enough games in the various modes that you have been able to climb closer to your true rank.

Here is a sort of off topic quote if you are interested (competitive CTF did not exist when Jeff said this):

01/04/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
01/04/2018 02:31 PMPosted by steelman
I'm a player who has only played less than 10 games in Diamond in all seasons. Whenever I play 4v4 Deathmatch, the enemy team always has Grand Masters. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

We're looking into cases like this. We had a similar discussion about this yesterday as it can sometimes occur in Quick Play as well.

Long story short, you have a separate matchmaking rating for Competitive Play than you do for other modes so sometimes players playing more or less of those modes can cause occurrences like this. We have some solutions in mind.
Went 6-4 and placed almost Master.
Been 3.1-3.2 for the past month in real comp.