I am getting sick of racist people in chat.

General Discussion
Hello, fellow Overwatch players. I'm not 100% sure if this is the place to talk about this, but I need to get it out.

I'm Latino (yes, this is important) and Overwatch literally takes most of the time while gaming. I'm very aware of the amount of toxic players out there, and I have found myself acting in a bad mood, because of lack of communication but I'm mostly a nice person. In my entire time I have started a conversation in chat most of the other players reply and many just call my accent interesting.

Up to this week, however, I have found that at least 3 out of 7 matches, there is always an a**hole which for some reason demands me to speak proper English, and to return to my country and start harassing me every time I talk. I have been called Indian, Chinese, Filipino, and almost every other ethnicity from the East because of my accent, and I'm very VERY tired of that.

Seriously, why there are people out there who are so illiterate and can't accept that there are more of us in the entire world who can speak the way they want? Or have you ever seen a guy from the US North demanding another from the South to speak proper English?

I know that because of certain people with power the US has been a lot more dangerous for outsiders, and also those who already live in the US.

I would like to know if any of you has experience any way of racism or harassment in voice chat whether is on PC or console, and how you have dealt with it.
report / block / mute
After a couple days you log in and see notification blizzard sends and says they have banned someone because of your reports.
My GF got by a premade told she's getting raped and killed by them because she asked for heals. She's not using voice chat anymore.
Anonymity just brings out the worst out of people.
However, you can't do much against it except waiting for Blizzard to enforce hard punishment for !@#$ like this.
It's a fight you can't win.
There's a mute button. Fixed it for you.
I'm white with a basically default American accent, so I never get targeted by it, but I always, always report racial slurs. I will shrug off generic rudeness or run-of-the-mill casual sexism if it's targeted at me, and report it at the end of the match if it was bad enough, but if anyone starts pulling out obvious racist garbage I will 100% stop mid game to report and block them (along with any other virulently hateful or violent comms/chat).

I'm sorry you have to deal with that stuff. It's not okay.
don't worry, those retards are set to be in gold rank forever anyways
02/17/2018 02:51 AMPosted by StonedSmurf
don't worry, those retards are set to be in gold rank forever anyways
gold? it's too good for them
Must be an NA thing, in EU we get all kinds of nationality's on the mic and no deal is ever made of it unless their English is unbearably terrible.
02/17/2018 03:06 AMPosted by EvilYoshi
Must be an NA thing, in EU we get all kinds of nationality's on the mic and no deal is ever made of it unless their English is unbearably terrible.

I have only ever heard someones English being that bad once before and he was a fellow brit haha

Did seem like he was quite proficiently wasted though ahah
People use it to shock you. Just ignore them (or better yet mute them), and your day will be fine.
02/17/2018 02:34 AMPosted by NightRaven
I'm Latino (yes, this is important)

No, it is not important. You want equal protections as everybody else - you have it.

Mute, block, report and move on. Just like everybody else.

Personally, I don't care what language you speak. You can be a mute for all I care. Just play the best you can. Regardless if they are demanding english only, or being sexist, racist, overtly obscene, etc - it is all toxic behavior. Toxic behavior should be met with the same response - dont engage or argue with them - just mute, block, report and move on.
02/17/2018 02:34 AMPosted by NightRaven
Hello, fellow Overwatch players. I'm not 100% sure if this is the place to talk about this, but I need to get it out.

I'm Latino (yes, this is important) and Overwatch literally takes most of the time while gaming. I'm very aware of the amount of toxic players out there, and I have found myself acting in a bad mood, because of lack of communication but I'm mostly a nice person. In my entire time I have started a conversation in chat most of the other players reply and many just call my accent interesting.

Up to this week, however, I have found that at least 3 out of 7 matches, there is always an a**hole which for some reason demands me to speak proper English, and to return to my country and start harassing me every time I talk. I have been called Indian, Chinese, Filipino, and almost every other ethnicity from the East because of my accent, and I'm very VERY tired of that.

Seriously, why there are people out there who are so illiterate and can't accept that there are more of us in the entire world who can speak the way they want? Or have you ever seen a guy from the US North demanding another from the South to speak proper English?

I know that because of certain people with power the US has been a lot more dangerous for outsiders, and also those who already live in the US.

I would like to know if any of you has experience any way of racism or harassment in voice chat whether is on PC or console, and how you have dealt with it.
so there's this new thing called a mute button try it
02/17/2018 03:14 AMPosted by BillNye
People use it to shock you. Just ignore them (or better yet mute them), and your day will be fine.
Ah yes, because I can think of all of the tactical advantages to shocking my own teammates to the point where they can't function optimally on the team anymore
First off, ignore them. Though, I also like to ask them why they're still racist in 2018. Try doing that in ANY job site or place of work and enjoy being fired on the spot.

Secondly, I hope everyone here who's mentioned what to do ALSO stands up for people. Overwatch is gaining a lot of attention in this regard, a toxic community vs not just racial slurs but sexual ones too.

The only way to improve it is to show jerks who think it's okay to be anonymous !@#$%^-s that they just aren't funny. Unless you wanna play in an all *!@#$%^, sausagefest.