Roll Que

General Discussion
Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkTCQETamOM

Would a que system that let you select Tank, DPS, Heal, or Flex as your preferred roll work?

Would a 2/2/2 be the standard?

If so, would doing 1 Tank, 1 DPS, 1 Healer and then 3 Flex not work and give teams flexibility?

They said this was a widly popular topic but yet I almost never hear thoughts about it on the forums/reddit. Only on the popular YouTube channels

Thoughts?
role*
queue*
I would prefer an in-game guild or clan system, then nothing is forced and its easy to find like minded players.
i mean a working one would be nice but a regular role queue would never work.
if your team needs to switch and do something like quad tank, it would just never work. people need to switch and thats that
02/17/2018 04:12 PMPosted by YoyoCaleb
Having a role select would force a meta.
"Wildly popular" is an overstatement. A good chunk of people want it, some even think the game can't survive without it. At least as many people can tell you all the things wrong with it.

Most people still want to switch heroes in game and I can near-guarantee you Blizzard will never restrict hero choice and certainly won't enforce a meta. So you're left with people being able to say they will do one thing but free to do another. Because queue times would be shorter for tanks and supports, everyone has an incentive to say that they're going to play a tank or support regardless of their actual intention.

Let's say that all you're asking for is a single guaranteed tank and a single guaranteed support. That might be nice, but in the end that's a pretty small payoff for a large amount of work on Blizzard's part, and people would still be disappointed in it... possibly even more disappointed since they went through extra hoops to try to get a better team composition.
2-2-2 would work well as a base to collect players together (not an absolute).
Example:
Steve and Jane queued as a healer, Tyler and Josh queued as a tank, Mary and Calvin queued as offense/defense.

That is how it would organize the team

Role Queue would work well as an idea of what your team is indicating they are there to play for your team as a pre-building phase.

Example of how it should be able to play out:
Steve locked Moira, and Jane picked Lucio as a result. Mary suggested, "Hey guys, let's run quad tank for this match," and everyone agreed. So Mary, Calvin, Tyler, and Josh all picked tanks.

How it shouldn't work:
Steve indicated he would be a healer for a shorter queue time and instalocked Hanzo and refused to swap off Hanzo. Jane, Mary, Calvin, Tyler, and Josh are frustrated by this non-negotiable behavior and all report Steve for queueing as a healer and having zero intention of being a healer because it represents extremely poor teamwork.

If Steve does this frequently, Steve can't be too surprised if he gets banned for constant reports of poor teamwork abusing something like this.

To avoid the tin-foil hat paranoia:
Steve, Jane, Mary, Calvin, Tyler, and Josh all agree to run quad tanks. Mary does poorly, and her team is petty enough to agree, "Report Mary for playing a tank when she queued as a DPS"

Steve, Jane, Calvin, Tyler, and Josh are all a-holes if this is their mentality, but still probably aren't enough to actually get Mary banned unless Mary does something just so profound that this happens across multiple games she plays.
At least as many people can tell you all the things wrong with it.

Most of those people have no clue what they are talking about because they don't actually understand how a role system would work. They perceive problems that actually do not and would not exist, and the ones that do, those already exist in the game anyway and have nothing to do with role que.

Most people still want to switch heroes in game

This is so false it almost hurts my brain. It's the complete opposite, most people main at least one or two heroes tops usually the same role and... that's it really, and also, most people will not only not swap heros but even less swap roles, i honest to god cannot remember the last time someone actually swapped their role midmatch, im not saying it doesn't happen, im saying it almost never happens, and saying that "people want to flex" is just a huge lie, when the truth is, people want to play what they want to play, period.
02/18/2018 04:00 PMPosted by Vendamar
"people want to flex" is just a huge lie, when the truth is, people want to play what they want to play, period.

A player who is a Flex Player honestly means a player who is going to either end up playing a Main healer or Main tank 80% of the time when selecting a characters.

Even when they actually swap to a different character in mid-game, it's only within their selected role (Genji-> McCree, Mercy-> Moira). It's rarely to never anything profound.

I think tons of people associate a Flex pick to counter as the same thing as a Flex pick to a role in the group that is needed (like when you have 4 DPS).
A player who is a Flex Player honestly means a player who is going to either end up playing a Main healer or Main tank 80% of the time when selecting a characters.

So true, whenever i decide to fill, i already know that that means i will play either support or tank. And if i happen to want to pick a DPS because i truly think we need something in particular i get flamed as !@#$, usually by the DPS players ironically enough.
02/18/2018 03:10 PMPosted by Hayete
Would a que system that let you select Tank, DPS, Heal, or Flex as your preferred roll work?
No. It will only cause problems. If you're not allowed to switch between roles then counterpicking can become impossible.

02/18/2018 03:10 PMPosted by Hayete
Would a 2/2/2 be the standard?
It kind of already is but the devs have stated they would like to see other comps as well.
02/18/2018 03:16 PMPosted by Skaine
I would prefer an in-game guild or clan system, then nothing is forced and its easy to find like minded players.

The clan/guild system is what I want honestly.

There’s a lot of ways could work.