Why will you not switch?

Competitive Discussion
So tired of this "play what ever you want" in comp.

People flaming and crying almost every game blaming others, when they cant flex and only know how to play at best 1 or 2 hero's at their rank. People need to start and realize that one tricking is bad. People need to realize that playing a hero that's being countered is bad.

The pharah that doesn't swap vs a soldier mcree ana

The bastion playing with no shields

The moira not healing

The winston not diving widow/genji

The list go's on and on. There's only so much a flex player can do and to keep it real its not fair. I know blizzard can't fix this, but you can.

I used to be a one trick soldier most of my games where frustrating cause i could only work in some situations. So at one time i decided to learn more hero's and now i can play 2 healers and 3 tanks. What i can't do is heal for you, tank for you and dps at the same time.

So please next time when you are looking for that "how to rank up quickly" video, think about what I've just said.
People need to realize that being a jack of all trades, master of none is harmful to your team.

People need to realize that spending all match worrying about other people switching doesn't help. Especially when you give up or decide to be toxic about it.

Also, LOL about Pharah needing to switch off vs McCree, Soldier, Ana. A good Pharah does fine against hitscans unless they are godly.

Also, Moria not healing isn't a hero choice issue; it's a hero ability one.
Why do you want people to play heroes that they are not good at?

What are you hoping to accomplish there?

Stronger failure?
I know the only times I don't switch are when the person is asking me to play something I'm terrible at. I'll be playing Junkrat and they'll declare that they need a McCree or a Widow, and that I should swap. Like what? What makes you think those skills are transferable? I can't play either of those. That's a horrible idea. Just horrible. No.
02/19/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Harmless
People need to realize that being a jack of all trades, master of none is harmful to your team.

Do you mean "jack of some trades, master of none?" or "Jack of some trades, master of fewer"? Oh wait I haven't heard either before.

There is nothing wrong with having a hero pool in fact more often than not it will work to your advantage. 2 of each role is awesome but even 1 of each is an advantage. It doesn't mean you are a Jack of all, master of none. I'd see myself as master of 4 trades, jack of 9, average or terrible at the remaining 13.
02/19/2018 07:13 PMPosted by predat0r

Do you mean "jack of some trades, master of none?" or "Jack of some trades, master of fewer"? Oh wait I haven't heard either before.

There is nothing wrong with having a hero pool in fact more often than not it will work to your advantage. 2 of each role is awesome but even 1 of each is an advantage. It doesn't mean you are a Jack of all, master of none. I'd see myself as master of 4 trades, jack of 9, average or terrible at the remaining 13.

1 tricks just don't get it. well said though
Go play with 5 friends then.
I agree that one tricking is bad but being a flex player and stretching your time, skill, and practice over multiple heroes is even worse I argue.

At least the one trick knows his hero inside out on every map with every team comp?

You should know how to play 3 heroes at the very most, so you can use them at a very high level that's more likely to be a significant asset to the team.

When someone claims that they can play whatever the team needs, that really sets me off more than, say someone who instalocks Roadhog, because it tells me they truly don't know how to play any hero or they just literally mean that they can play any hero as in move them around with the w,a,s,d keys.

I know that's an exaggeration, but I think you know what I'm getting at. I've solo one tricked mercy from 670 to 2200s and the thing I learned is that patience with even just one hero can make you an invaluable player to the team by knowing that hero well in every sense.
I don't know what to tell you but I only play Tanks cause this community needs more of us. This community has a crap load of DPS mains and healer mains as it is. Made it my goal to fill that void.
02/19/2018 07:13 PMPosted by predat0r

The full quote is: "Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one."

I didn't advocate for one-tricking. I believe in a small hero pool. Like 2 or 3. 2 of each role requires way more time than most people have, unless you are gonna be a pro, and then that's a different story.

But "flex" players tend to know way too many heroes and not be good at any of them.

I've been trying to focus on Zen, Orisa, and Pharah. Sadly, my Pharah skills have atrophied due to non use. It turns out most groups can use a Zen, so I rarely have to switch off him (and it's rarely beneficial for me to do so). I'm trying to pick up Mercy so I have a primary healer in my pool (Moira would be better, but she's so popular it's hard to get time on her).
If you look through all the salt involved with this topic from people who think someone "ruined" their last game there is a really interesting discussion here. Why do one tricks exist. Why in a game that is focused on switching do people ignore that. I don't have a big hero pool it's mostly healers. I can play a serviceable Winston at my rank I think. But I'm not sure about any of my dps heroes. Aside from just being able to aim with like soldier. So I can't see the logic behind it.
<Removed by forum moderator for toxicity>
Same
I killed this Rein as Moira about 30x in one comp game
Like, are you a masochist ?
Learned my lesson the hard way. I give flexing a chance, but when the DPS wasnt doing their job, I have to step it up. Dont get me wrong, Im not a killer machine, but Im not a stupid who cant aim up to kill a pharah.

And thats the problem in lower ranks, people are already bad players with the heroes they instalock, so when you force them to change to some hero they are worst, you cant spect to come something good out of it.
02/19/2018 07:04 PMPosted by SleepyBear
Why do you want people to play heroes that they are not good at?

What are you hoping to accomplish there?

Stronger failure?

Proper team comp >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your selfess one trick pony.

Doesn';t matter if you are god genji without a team you are nothing.
That why you learn more. qp, arcade, custom are great places to learn more new heroes.

No, they aren't. You learn very little from these beyond basics. These will never get you ready for comp.

Obviously you do want to spend some time learning the basics in these modes, but don't expect them to bring you up to level with a hero you have a lot of comp time with.

Forum Moderator Note: References to toxic content removed.
<Moderated post removed>

Who said anything about a 1 trick. You can suggest possible solutions like "Hey, can anyone play a Hitscan to counter the Pharah?" And if all you get is silence.....LET IT GO.

But many "flex" (i.e. FAIL) players just keep harping on hero switching the whole game like some magical team comp will transform your team into the WINNING team over the LOSING team.

Sometimes....the other team is actually just better.

That doesn't mean people should one trick. But asking a Junkrat main to switch to S76 to deal with the Pharah.....that is just stupid. And I have seen that suggestion so many times in comp it is just silly. (Unless they also play hitscan).

Same thing with asking for some specific shield tank that you prefer......well if nobody on your team is good at it.....how well do you think that will go?
<Moderated post removed>

Who said anything about a 1 trick. You can suggest possible solutions like "Hey, can anyone play a Hitscan to counter the Pharah?" And if all you get is silence.....LET IT GO.

But many "flex" (i.e. FAIL) players just keep harping on hero switching the whole game like some magical team comp will transform your team into the WINNING team over the LOSING team.

Sometimes....the other team is actually just better.

That doesn't mean people should one trick. But asking a Junkrat main to switch to S76 to deal with the Pharah.....that is just stupid. And I have seen that suggestion so many times in comp it is just silly. (Unless they also play hitscan).

Same thing with asking for some specific shield tank that you prefer......well if nobody on your team is good at it.....how well do you think that will go?

Exactly.

I wish people would let it go. Instead, they seem to feel entitled to be toxic (like the above poster asking if someone was retarded).