My thoughts on ranked(rant incoming)

Competitive Discussion
Until recently, I always thought I belonged at my sr. I thought that I was a mediocre player, who belonged in gold max. This was back in season 6. Since then I have played 40-50 more hours of overwatch(and counting), and now I consider myself pretty decent, My stats are better, my teamwork is better, and in general I am just a better player. So why have I not ranked up? Why have I stayed forever stuck in gold no matter how much better I get? I hate to say this, but my teams. When someone rages over mic, or leaves the game, or locks sym on attack(and throws themselves off a cliff), I can't help but feel like that isn't my fault. These kinds of games happen way too often too. Back when I sucked, It used to be that I got one of these matches 1 out of 8 times. Now, It feels more like 4 out of 8. Here is how my matches have went lately. Win 1 or two with non toxic teams(and have fun), loose two with toxic teams. The result is always me gaining 0 sr, and just feeling like i waste my time. Unlike others, when the whole team is trying I don't blame others for the loss. I do however blame them when someone is being toxic, trolling or leaves. I can't say this enough I've been kept at my rank by toxic teams, not bad teams
Just because you think you're better, doesn't make you better. You'd rank up if you were better.
Learn more heroes.
You are not ranking up because you have not improved yourself beyond the gold threshold. Cry less and improve more. You will rank up.
Because, in aggregate, we're all getting better and the ranking system is intentionally designed to be zero-sum. Hundreds of thousands of people are all learning and practicing the game.

Are you sure you are improving beyond the rate that the average player is improving in aggregate?
02/20/2018 06:30 AMPosted by NotSure
I've been kept at my rank by toxic teams, not bad teams
If people get toxic, just try to calm them down. I find it helps a lot.

If one player is calling another out, say something like, "nah man, it's not his fault. He's doing alright. If anything, I'm doing bad. I'll try to switch it up if it still isn't working out." (it doesn't have to be true)

Or things like that. Try to keep the toxicity down. It won't work every time, but I often find I can shut "toxic players" up just by saying a few words.
There might be a bit of truth in what you are saying. It is possible that when you perform well and your mmr is higher than your sr the match maker will put people in your team that have mmr lower than their sr to create a 50-50 win probability. Who has mmr lower than sr? Throwers, leaver and other downtrending people.

If you just grind enough you will eventually climb but it’s slow as a frozen snail because you have to spend hours ”countering” the unwinnable games you’ve had. I lost 4 games yesterday where nothing I could do would have changed the outcome and today I won 4 in a row when I had decent teams. Two days of gaming and +-0 SR. Guess what will happen next? Losses.
02/20/2018 06:39 AMPosted by DaddySenpai
Learn more heroes.

I play Moira because she is usually the best choice(as people don't usually like playing healer). I can also play D.V.A, Sombra,Roadhog, Orisa,Doomfist, and Pharah fairly decently. I know plenty of characters.
02/20/2018 07:54 AMPosted by NotSure
02/20/2018 06:39 AMPosted by DaddySenpai
Learn more heroes.

I play Moira because she is usually the best choice(as people don't usually like playing healer). I can also play D.V.A, Sombra,Roadhog, Orisa,Doomfist, and Pharah fairly decently. I know plenty of characters.
Just only heal on moria dont use purple orbs and you will rank ez. I have an old that was in gold to mess around on. I have 75% win rate on moria and I only heal. I use damage orbs 1 once per game at most.
As somebody who went from bronze to diamond I find this somewhat hard to believe, (really I started at gold, sank to bronze and climbed back to diamond but it’s a long story.) Though this could be a difference in the seasons, I originally climbed back to high plat in season 6, and competitive as a whole was far better than compared to now imo. Plus all the changes made to comp haven’t really made any affect on the quality of games, and I do argee that the quality of games has gone down as a whole, I just don’t think it’s safe to say it’s 100% the reason you can’t climb.

All that being said we need a role selection or guild system, or some sort of Karma system in which we can promote and demote players depending on their behavoir, but to do so you’d have to sacrifice something like comp points. (Without some sort of sacrifice it would be easily abused.)
Anyone have that Seagull clip where he says that if you are actually good at the game and just unlucky you will rank up? That would be nice here.
Hey man, i just looked at your stats on overbuff,
first off, you should try and compare yourself to high level moira players if she is your main, compare yourself and try to improve your gameplay
looks like you are doing way more damage then you do heal, as a support you should first and foremost heal your team, as moira you can pump a ton of healing on grouped up teammates, try and get your team to play accordingly
remember that you might get gold elims, but only because other ppl kill targets you "tickled" with your orbs or damage beam, you are NOT a DPS, dont try to play as one
second, you should play more games, and try and improve your win/lose rate
this season i got from low gold to plat and fell back to mid gold, i have a good win/lose rate so the more games i play i know i'll climb

watch more vods of your main's gameplay from high tier players, learn what they do,
record and watch your own vods and see crucial mistakes you made in each game and try fixing those small issues one by one keeping them in mind for future games

also keep in mind that everyone in your rank can get the same amount as leavers/toxic players/trolls sometimes they are on your team, sometimes on the enemy.. not all the games are bad
improve you gamesense and gameplay and you will climb (slowly maybe, but still climb)

and lastly due to PBSR in our rank you can get more SR for a good game you won, and lose less SR for a good game you lost, so you keep the SR gains positive even with a 50% win rate