288 Hours on Hanzo - My Opinion About The Changes

General Discussion
02/14/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
02/14/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Equinox
I really like the abilities Jeff mentioned in the recent dev update (30 min ago). One where Hanzo leaps in a direction (hopefully in the air, a backflip, and not just a dash forward like McCree's Roll) and another where he is able to rapidly fire 5 arrows. I feel like it would combo nicely.

The way we have his leap working right now in our internal builds is that its a double-jump, much like his brother, but with a couple key differences. Firstly, it is mostly a horizontal leap (and its pretty fast), unlike Genji's vertical leap. Secondly, it has a small cooldown, which is necessary considering the amount of mobility it gives Hanzo now. Also, to clarify, you will leap towards the direction you are pressing, not the direction you are facing. This is the exact same control scheme we use for Tracer's blinks, so think of it like that.

For his new ability called Volley, we're still iterating on it. For example, we've already changed the numbers of arrows fired from 5 to 6 and lowered the damage per arrow. Currently it lasts up to 6 seconds, and allows you to fire about 3 arrows per second (up to 6 total). Each arrow fires at "full power" but deals only 80 damage (instead of his normal 125). There is no charge time while in this mode, if you hold the button down you will fire the arrows in a full-auto mode.

This has been really fun so far in playtests. He has a lot more options during combat now, and deciding how and when to use your Lunge ability is really interesting. You can use both ability to leap around a corner and fire a bunch of arrows into a key target, but then you're leaving yourself really open to counter attack. You can also save Lunge when you know there is an enemy Winston looking to jump on you to make a quick leap back while firing tons of arrows into him and his barrier.

Giving Hanzo more mobility with the leap ability is a welcome change
and it will help him survive longer.
The volley ability allows Hanzo to to do the same damage as scatter over the course
of 2 seconds, which eliminates the instant kill factor that people complained about.
If may be honest, this is killing me inside.

This new Hanzo is very direct and is very different from the current Hanzo.
Scatter arrow allows Hanzo to turn one of his direct shots into an angled shot
that can kill an enemy in very creative ways.
It is extremely satisfying to imagine some crazy geometry in a split second and
seeing it succeed in killing the enemy.
His slow firing rate means that you must have good aim as well as good positioning
to prevent being killed too quickly.

I love this state of Hanzo.
The difficulty, the complexity, the satisfaction of a game where you perform well.
It feels worth it because it is difficult, and it feels so rewarding to win this way.
I have a long term goal of ranking up with, who i consider to be, the hardest character
in this game, and currently that's Hanzo.

All i wish is that we get to keep scatter arrow in some form.
I think the new movement option will make up for any damage nerf
you give scatter arrow.
That way, i get to keep scatter arrow, Hanzo gets a cool new movement skill and the instant kill potential will be brought under control.

EDIT: I wish that the arrow volley can bounce off surfaces.
i agree with you i dont have many hours docked with hanzo but he is one of my favorite choices in QP and taking away that scatter shot would be heart breaking
I wanted to explain how i felt about the changes.
I was fair and i pointed out the all the benefits, i don't understand the downvotes.
scatter arrow= cheesy ability that is super random and frustrating to play against
In a MOBA like LoL or Dota it can work, but in Overwatch it shouldn't exist.
downvotes just mean people don't agree with what you said. The new volley just looks infinitely cooler than shooting someone's foot
02/15/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Vicmanic
I was fair and i pointed out the all the benefits, i don't understand the downvotes.

Because people hate Hanzo and Scatter. :\

Sorry you guys are about to get the Mercy treatment. Whether or not it makes him viable I don’t know, but getting something taken away and replaced with something “better” doesn’t feel great when you’re so used to the thing that’s being replaced.
What makes me laugh is how a lot of people are happy about it including myself. The thing a lot of tank mains are not aware of is that the new hanzo is going to be far more reliable at melting tanks instead of the scatters. the new arrows can deal up to 480 damage in only 2 seconds! Yes its true that scatters were instant but think about it, any hanzo who missed the shot had to wait 10 seconds to use the scatters again. Now hanzo only has to get in decent range and unleash all 6 arrows without needing to land headshots to melt any tanks with 480hp.

A smart hanzo will only wait for zaryas bubble to go down and then that zarya is going to melt. Same for orisa, wait for her to place her shield, flank from behind and melt her in 2 seconds. Sure the counterplay is there where you have time to react but I already see a lot of people crying about hanzo needing a nerf after he goes live. I main hanzo with over 400 hours on console, I wont miss scatters and I welcome the new change.
t is extremely satisfying to imagine some crazy geometry in a split second and seeing it succeed in killing the enemy.

Yeah, right.

I think you meant, "shoot at the floor".
I just hope this reworked Hanzo doesn't become a big balancing issue like Mercy's rework. I would probably give up on Overwatch if it did. Because if it happens to more than one hero, it can happen to all the heroes.

FOOL! YOU DARE POST ANYTHING ON THESE FORUMS OTHER THAN A NERF GENJI OR TRACER THREAD THEN PREPARE TO HAVE DOWNVOTES.

unlike most forums, people here just use downvotes as a disagree button even if your post is logical and well-worded. downvotes don't mean much.

Scatter is the most frustrating ability in the game. It is indefensible. You are getting downvotes because keeping scatter is a non starter.
They could change the color of the sky in BlizWorld two points and there would be complaint threads. Nerdrage is a nearly unlimited power source if only we could learn to harness it.
02/15/2018 12:25 PMPosted by Pachanga
t is extremely satisfying to imagine some crazy geometry in a split second and seeing it succeed in killing the enemy.

Yeah, right.

I think you meant, "shoot at the floor".

You know a good Honzo can kill you with a wall scatter too right?
02/15/2018 12:23 PMPosted by infamous067
What makes me laugh is how a lot of people are happy about it including myself. The thing a lot of tank mains are not aware of is that the new hanzo is going to be far more reliable at melting tanks instead of the scatters. the new arrows can deal up to 480 damage in only 2 seconds! Yes its true that scatters were instant but think about it, any hanzo who missed the shot had to wait 10 seconds to use the scatters again. Now hanzo only has to get in decent range and unleash all 6 arrows without needing to land headshots to melt any tanks with 480hp.

A smart hanzo will only wait for zaryas bubble to go down and then that zarya is going to melt. Same for orisa, wait for her to place her shield, flank from behind and melt her in 2 seconds. Sure the counterplay is there where you have time to react but I already see a lot of people crying about hanzo needing a nerf after he goes live. I main hanzo with over 400 hours on console, I wont miss scatters and I welcome the new change.

Orisa will survive volley though.

Hit fortify. Problem solved.

Thats the thing. Tanks being able to react allows them to negate the damage output of volley

Reinhardt: Shield
Winston: Shield and GTFO button
Zarya: Shield
Orisa: Fortify, Shield
Roadhog: Take a breather (reduces volley damage by 20%)
D'va: Matrix, GTFO button
02/15/2018 12:50 PMPosted by go123452
02/15/2018 12:23 PMPosted by infamous067

Orisa will survive volley though.

Hit fortify. Problem solved.

Thats the thing. Tanks being able to react allows them to negate the damage output of volley

Reinhardt: Shield
Winston: Shield and GTFO button
Zarya: Shield
Orisa: Fortify, Shield
Roadhog: Take a breather (reduces volley damage by 20%)
D'va: Matrix, GTFO button
You are right in all fronts.
My suggestion was to either keep a nerfed scatter arrow or perhaps make the
arrow volley bounce off surfaces as well.
I'll miss the "simple geometry" remarks and how cool the ability looked. But it was BS and I've played Hanzo for a good amount of hours. The less RNG is involved in this game, the better, in my opinion.
02/15/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Vicmanic
His slow firing rate means that you must have good aim as well as good positioning
That is barely affected by these changes, though.
02/15/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Kouri
I'll miss the "simple geometry" remarks and how cool the ability looked. But it was BS and I've played Hanzo for a good amount of hours. The less RNG is involved in this game, the better, in my opinion.
omg i didn't even think about the voice line. *dead*
02/15/2018 01:05 PMPosted by ĔǾŊ
02/15/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Vicmanic
That is barely affected by these changes, though.
The new movement skill will decrease the positioning skill barrier by a lot.
As Hanzo works now, if a Winston or D.Va jump on you, you either kill them or you die.
If the skill is added, Hanzo will have an escape mechanism and a chance to disengage.