Zarya Buff: Shield Regen x2 with Barrier

General Discussion
If there's one problem I have with Zarya, it's a wasted barrier. It takes 10 seconds for her to recharge on herself, 8 seconds for a teammate's barrier. The cool down isn't a problem though, it's fair and keeping her away from being overpowered.

But what if, when Zarya casts up a barrier, it recharges her health barrier twice as fast? The whole "3 seconds of no damage taken before regen begins" would still apply, but it brings back half her health.

The hard stats are; Zarya's shields are 200hp. Shield regen now is 30 shield per second after 3 seconds of no damage taken. Zarya's bubble lasts for 2 seconds. Right now, shields would regen 60 in the amount of time her barrier would be up. If this were implemented, if used right, she would heal 120 shield in those 2 seconds of her barrier being up.

If she were to take damage while the barrier was up and doubling her shield regen, I think it would make sense for her shield regen to default, as if the barrier has to toggle between raising her health or boosting her gun.

I also think it would be neat to have this affect people casted on, so Sym and Zen could quickly regain any lost shields.

Thoughts?
I think zarya needs a buff (zarya main) but not like this, her shields are fine IMO. You gotta time them right though. Also if you have played zarya a lot, you would realize 10 seconds is nothing.
Zarya main here as well. I think she is fine the way she is because if the opposing is dumb enough to charge her past 80% everything just melts from primary fire.

Now one thing I would like fixed is a wasted bubble casted on a D.Va mech when it breaks. What I mean is you can accidentally bubble a D.Va mech when it's in its breaking animation and you get absolutely no charge for it even though the opposing team is shooting at it. I would like them to change it so the bubble either gives you charge or it gets transferred over to baby D.Va.
02/15/2018 09:57 PMPosted by Zmonster

Now one thing I would like fixed is a wasted bubble casted on a D.Va mech when it breaks. What I mean is you can accidentally bubble a D.Va mech when it's in its breaking animation and you get absolutely no charge for it even though the opposing team is shooting at it. I would like them to change it so the bubble either gives you charge or it gets transferred over to baby D.Va.

Its more of a problem with Dva than it is with Zarya. I've had it before where when I run Ana and I accidentally nano a Dva out of mech, then she calls her mech, the Nano disappears and sits with Dva in the pilot seat. She's hard for the Devs to balance because she is two different characters, one in the mech and one out of it.
I think it makes her the tank she needs to be. If her barrier is already at 100% and she needs quick shield recovery to get back on the front lines, but can't step aside for a health pack, it gives her a pocket to rely on.
It would act as a double-edged sword because you could utilize it, and within the 10 seconds of cooldown find yourself in a sticky situation where that barrier would've helped, you become the victim of playing your cards wrong.

When there's no healer around, a Rein can bring his barrier up and try to stall from his health dropping, Dva can use her Ult to get a new mech, Orisa can drop her shield and stall, and Roadhog can... y'know, heal.
Zarya's the only one missing out on a "stall-for-health" mechanic. 2 seconds of protection from 40 damage will not help keep your health bar up much. This would keep her well equipped and make her work well with other shield users.
Zarya used to be a near auto-pick when the meta was largely about poking and picks. When they nerfed Zarya also saw the rise of the dive meta. I don't think zarya with reverted nerf would even be viable vs dive comps. Currently, she feels very underpowered and i find myself having to be more aggressive to try to build charge, which ends with deaths being more common and average charge being lower. Keeping high charge without a junkrat or orisa on the opposing team is really hard.

Zarya used to accumulate 1/4 of the damage dealt to barriers as charge, to a max of 50 per barrier.
Now Zarya accumulates 1/5 of the damage dealt, to a max of 40
02/15/2018 09:57 PMPosted by Zmonster
Zarya main here as well. I think she is fine the way she is because if the opposing is dumb enough to charge her past 80% everything just melts from primary fire.

It use to work right. But now it only works during her going into mech and regular self D. Self D demeching and regular demching cancels it. I also wish I get refunded when Tracer, Sombra, or Moria did their abilities. That's why I want a QOL to her hud. To see mobile heroes abilities cooldowns on DVA DM, Moria, Sombra, Deflecting Genji etc.
Zarya doesnt need a buff, its the "Shield" system that need a buff

Retreating from the fight for 3s to get it recover at 30 per sec rate is too weak, but compare to armor its balanced

Armor: cannot have heal if armor is present (no shield gen), reduce damage taken of each hit by half with the cap of 5 per hit.
Shield: need to take no damage for 3s to regen, can be healed.
Also both extend 75 cap of the health bar, give you a chance to live from being 2 shots from Pharah or the bomb - mine combo from Junkrat.

If shield need a buff or change, i prefer remove the 3s take no damage thing but give it regen at 10 per sec, cannot be interrupted. Only regen the shield part
Maybe what they could do is: As a risk/reward system. If her bubble is destroyed, like from multiple targets, Bastion, Reaper, Sombra EMP etc. Her shields gets recharged to full on break, one time. After that, it goes back to the normal recharge rate. Or maybe if you're already topped a 100%. The extra energy is used to recharge her shields. It always felt like a waste where I got into a perfect grove. Holding 100%, and hearing the bubbles take damage. Never being used for something.
02/16/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Hulkie
Maybe what they could do is: As a risk/reward system. If her bubble is destroyed, like from multiple targets, Bastion, Reaper, Sombra EMP etc. Her shields gets recharged to full on break, one time. After that, it goes back to the normal recharge rate.

Maybe when her shield bursts from taking too much damage, I'd like to see her have an explosive range similar to Junkrat's mine as an "overload". There is so much potential behind her barrier that they can tweak
02/16/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Kyarameru
Zarya doesnt need a buff, its the "Shield" system that need a buff

I think it's a system with errors. Like, I think any type of poison should bypass armor and shields, but that's a little irrelevant to my initial post.
02/16/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Sebastian007
02/16/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Hulkie
Maybe what they could do is: As a risk/reward system. If her bubble is destroyed, like from multiple targets, Bastion, Reaper, Sombra EMP etc. Her shields gets recharged to full on break, one time. After that, it goes back to the normal recharge rate.

Maybe when her shield bursts from taking too much damage, I'd like to see her have an explosive range similar to Junkrat's mine as an "overload". There is so much potential behind her barrier that they can tweak

Yeah. There should be some sort of basic benefit from these things. Obviously I don't want anything OP. Like for example. When Zarya is nano boosted. Her projectile get fired faster. So they have a much shallow arc. If the shield breaks. It could allow one projectile to be fired directly straight. A one chance sniper like bomb. It be a good way to finish off one target as you're probably about to get killed.
Just give Zarya 50% per bubble.

It takes 48% for Zarya to down a Dva in one clip, and Dva is way more deadly against Zarya than the used to be.
I'd like to see Zarya's extra charge give her shields. It would increase her sustainability in fights and make her more of a tank than a high-health DPS.

I know I'm only Bronze, but I play Zarya a lot. Competative scenario: Due to teammates that...well, usually don't know how things work, I end up as the frontline tank. (Yes I should just swap off but hear me out!) Charging into the enemy point with 100% charge does give me some power frenzy but I always have to back off before I can get a tick because when my 2s is up, there isn't much to keep me in the fight (Have you seen bronze healers?). To take the point I literally have to kill everything important, then hope the others gain enough confidence to rush in after you...

Naturally you pros will have different ideas, but let me know what you think. Is the idea for extra charge to regenerate some shields a viable change you'd like, or is it OP already?
02/16/2018 10:38 AMPosted by GreyFalcon
Just give Zarya 50% per bubble.

It takes 48% for Zarya to down a Dva in one clip, and Dva is way more deadly against Zarya than the used to be.

If you're good with Zarya, you can down Dva even on low charge. I never really fear DVA. Because of her slower movements when firing. You can hop dodge a lot of the pellets and charge off key moments, like her rockets and booster.
I agree Zarya is in a good spot. The thing is Zarya gets better when you use her right. So if she is too buffed before she gets charge then she will be insane when she gets to even 40 charge.
If anything I feel the only reasonable thing that could be nice is if an enemy pops your shield like a dva bomb or junk combo when your shield pops you have a little explosion off your shield kind of like a knock back. Because she has no mobility she can get jumped easily. This would be a nice little adjustment but other than that she is good I don’t want to see her ever get to an op stage.
02/16/2018 10:56 AMPosted by damnitbinks
I agree Zarya is in a good spot. The thing is Zarya gets better when you use her right. So if she is too buffed before she gets charge then she will be insane when she gets to even 40 charge.

Yeah. Especially if you have really good healer(s). I was able to hold point A Hanamura like this. Because the Mercy on my team knew how to heal, res key people, and work with my bubbles on saves. https://imgur.com/a/1UsZr I got 4 ults off in that game, and beat out a quad Reaper and triple Junkrat ult, for POTG. This is what it takes to beat out those ults. Which is super annoying.
My dream buff to ZARYA IS: Personal barrier cooldown reduced 10 seconds to 8 seconds. This alone will make a good difference and is a small change