Why do you think Overwatch gets such a bad rep?

General Discussion
Note: this thread is not to hate on Overwatch, but why we the average players see it in a bad light.

IMO? Toxicity, mainly due to the introduction of throwers, afkers and more. That and from what I've heard, toxicity has been slowing this game down a lot for awhile now.

Source: https://kotaku.com/blizzard-says-fighting-bad-behavior-is-slowing-down-ove-1809062317
bump
lack of empathy, but that's just people.
just start from yourself.
OW gets a bad rep from multiple things including toxicity, very slow and bad balancing since launch, lack of content, very limited player choice in what they can do (Choosing maps in qp, or gamemodes etc), a mediocre banning system that is completely automated with no human checking for false positives resulting in innocent off-meta players being banned.

Plenty of reasons this game has a bad rep.
I highly doubt the fight on toxicity actually slows down game development. That's just something he said to incentivize us to be less toxic.

Are the voice actors fighting toxicity?

Are the 3d animators fighting toxicity? No.

Are they working on hero 27? Yes.
Overwatch has a bad rep? where? Most conversations i see about the game are positive, most people like the game, the OWL is doing pretty good, etc. I think most of the hate is in here, the forums, it's always been that way.
Considering it is one of the most popular games on the planet.
It really doesn't get as much bad rep as some very vocal people want you to believe.

As for toxicity - it has dropped pretty heavily.
Probably in my last 30 games, only 2 had toxic people.

This is a massive drop from 6 months ago where 90% of my matches had toxic people.
Mercy mains
The forums in their current state feels more like a complaint department than a message board. The new changes coming on the 20th should fix that. On Reddit, players share fan content and their really cool highlights so its a lot more positive. Features coming will encourage that here as well.
I mean when you look at it Blizzard doesn't need to really fix their game as long as it generates revenue for them.

Blizzard games pretty much can sell themselves which is why their pretty boxes come with a shiny Blizzard tag.

Just be aware we who critisize do love these games and wish for them to improve. Yet a lot of people seem to wanna defend Blizzard as a patron saint of video games. Sometimes to the extremes which is also why Blzzard games get bad rep as well not just Overwatch.

So overall they do not work like other companies because they don't have to. Their games recieve huge hype for just showcasing the Blizzard logo on the box. Blizzard is also infamous is keeping their games just alive and kicking without much improvement.

Their motto of allowing everyone to play can greatly hinder a community as their reporting system will take literaly 1000s of reports to punish someone and the regulations on player behavior is never really taken into account. Its a business strategy that maximizes profit over quality gaming experience. For as long as a player gets invested playing the game they will have the potential of gaining more money just by keeping as many customers happy as possible with secluding any one such group but instead inviting everyone to play and partake regardless of morals or integrity.

Afterall they're a business at the end of the day and they have the goal to make money for their company by hooking players into their grasps. So who can blame em?

We can try to but down to its core Blizzard is successful for a reason and to this fact we cannot deny they make one hell of a game but they do not take good care of it afterwards. Because they never really need to do so.
Lets not forget the Blizz fanboys and girls who pretty much cover up the public relations department on defending their label.

They never need to cover up for mistakes because the fans do it for them. Honestly we are harsh because we have reasons to be upset. The misunderstanding that a vocal group is just being "silly" is well silly in itself.

As humans we think and reason. So there must be reasons why we are angry rather than just blindly hating on an experience we paid for.
Why does it take so long for balance changes in general, especially if those changes contain a sledgehammer approach to buffs/nerfs.

While we're on the topic of things taking a while there's also the lack of content this game receives, like before the blizzard world patch it's always having to get new stuff through the events because it's always "buy now while supplies last!".

Don't even get me started on the lack of things like animated shorts or comics.
Why do you think Kotaku gets a bad reputation?
Sym and Torb already got a tons of buff but they still don't work so I guess Blizz need to change a lot of thing kinda like making a new character.

No content ? I played a lot of fps and moba, I'm also a huge fan of WOW. I can promise you that overwatch gets a lot of update, I paid only 40 € and I still get new content while on game I have paid 60€ I only have DLC as new content. I promise you overwatch has a lot of content and even if this forum complain eveytime reality is really different and the game has a good reputation. Look at reddit or other fan forum they all really like the game. This forum isn't the real community it's just people complaining. I just saw a post of a guy who said he had uninstall overwatch since 3 month but yet he is still very active one the forum I don't get that logic.
In general the game is highly unbalanced and full of bugs, hitboxes etc etc etc.
02/16/2018 06:54 PMPosted by Naquille
OW gets a bad rep from multiple things including toxicity, very slow and bad balancing since launch, lack of content, very limited player choice in what they can do (Choosing maps in qp, or gamemodes etc), a mediocre banning system that is completely automated with no human checking for false positives resulting in innocent off-meta players being banned.

Plenty of reasons this game has a bad rep.
And yet we still play it and buy loot boxes. :D
The game is honestly quite bad in its current state.

Roadhog was nerfed because people who didnt counter properly whined about him and used every argument under the sun

when said arguments are used on any other character it becomes ignored and downvoted.

Pharah remains uncontested if the player playing pharah is gud, along with a pocket mercy.
inb4 "go mccree", fall off damage buddy.

but thats not even the core problem. the core problem of the game is that there are no hard counters. Even then, when a hard counter is present, ever team will run with it due to the fact that best counter to certain characters is the same character, an argument used against roadhog but still remains true against every other character.
Puts you at a 1:1 with any advantage, and beyond that its just reliant on your skill and positioning.

However again, this will ultimately create 1 to 1 identical teams/near identical teams fighting each other.

there are only a few ways to counter this !@#$ and thats to make a %^-* ton of heroes and rework them later in the game's life like league,
rework the core concept of the game and rework the most of the characters in general to make them more specialized instead of generalized.
Hanzo is a great example of generalized, he excels in all ranges, if ur gud with him.
From short, medium, and long ranges he excels due to his bow having high DPS, decent firing speed, and decent mobility.

he's not specified to be sniper like. He can do whatever he wants.
Widow too, kinda. she's more specialized due to her having to scope in to fire sniper rounds which limits her movements extremely. She is a good example of specialized.