Why do PC players

General Discussion
Aiming is easier on PC. Which means avoiding death is much harder.
02/18/2018 09:39 PMPosted by LilD
I'm gonna have to disagree with this, Tracer with max aim assist is brokenly OP. It literally does the aiming for you, I actually use the right stick more when I play Winston. It requires next to no skill to play characters like Tracer on console. Aim assist helps alot.

See. It’s not just me. They even claim to have proof that it’s easier. I’m gonna call your bluff on this one. Mouse and key offers more control. it isn’t enormous, but it is significant. If console players could play PC players cross platform, PC wins hands down.
02/18/2018 09:41 PMPosted by robotwizard

Yeah. Agreed. That isn’t in question from me, that’s for sure.
02/18/2018 09:43 PMPosted by Nethermoosen
02/18/2018 09:41 PMPosted by robotwizard

My question is why make a thread about it.
02/18/2018 09:44 PMPosted by robotwizard
<span class="truncated">...</span>

My question is why make a thread about it.

Because it’s a genuine question to ask the community why this is. Because plenty of people think it’s true. No other way to ask the community at large why this is believed against the significant proof against it.
No body really says that, but sometimes I feel that PC players think they are somewhat superior as you often hear people say 'oh you are master / GM on console, but you will only make plat on PC'. I play on both platform and respect both, but every-time somebody says that I just wanna let them know, that if you put a GM PC player on to console, he would be in plat or below too. Why? because that is not the god damn platform they use to play on.

Everything aside though, it is true that balancing on console is trash, that is why I am spending more time on Titanfall 2 recently.
02/18/2018 09:50 PMPosted by GenjiU!@#$e
No body really says that, but sometimes I feel that PC players think they are somewhat superior as you often hear people say 'oh you are master / GM on console, but you will only make plat on PC'. I play on both platform and respect both, but every-time somebody says that I just wanna let them know, that if you put a GM PC player on to console, he would be in plat or below too. Why? because that is not the god damn platform they use to play on.

Everything aside though, it is true that balancing on console is trash, that is why I am spending more time on Titanfall 2 recently.

Titanfall 2 is amazing. And they do say that. I’m aware more people know that PC is better for aim, but a lot of people argue that console players can’t aim and aim assist does everything for you.

Like literally look at the posts above yours. 3 people who replied to this thread said it already.
Widowmaker is literally unplayable on console
02/18/2018 09:58 PMPosted by Arashi

Well, I don’t know about that. To each their own. But it IS easier on PC to play her.
I think the average person knows its easier to aim on PC.

Aim Assist is necessary due to the lack of precision on a controller, but it doesn't make up for truly being able to do that precision yourself.

Though, it might be a player skill thing. Aim Assist probably allows very bad players to hit things when on PC they might not be able to make up for the loss of aim assist with their own movements.

Tangent: I recently booted up my Xbox and played a bit of Halo 2 Anniversary or whatever it's called. Holy hell is the aim assist in that game hilariously overpowering. I can't hit jack without it, and can't properly aim where I want on the target with it. I was crazy good at the original Halo 2, can't imagine how that felt natural at the time.
02/18/2018 10:03 PMPosted by Vir
I think the average person knows its easier to aim on PC.

Aim Assist is necessary due to the lack of precision on a controller, but it doesn't make up for truly being able to do that precision yourself.

Though, it might be a player skill thing. Aim Assist probably allows very bad players to hit things when on PC they might not be able to make up for the loss of aim assist with their own movements.

Tangent: I recently booted up my Xbox and played a bit of Halo 2 Anniversary or whatever it's called. Holy hell is the aim assist in that game hilariously overpowering. I can't hit jack without it, and can't properly aim where I want on the target with it. I was crazy good at the original Halo 2, can't imagine how that felt natural at the time.

That I can agree on. It was crazy back then.
02/18/2018 10:01 PMPosted by Nethermoosen
02/18/2018 09:58 PMPosted by Arashi

Well, I don’t know about that. To each their own. But it IS easier on PC to play her.
Trying to shoot a Genji Tracer Pharah with her is impossible tbh lol
02/18/2018 10:14 PMPosted by Arashi
02/18/2018 10:01 PMPosted by Nethermoosen

Trying to shoot a Genji Tracer Pharah with her is impossible tbh lol

Aim assist seems like it gives up entirely when they show up. Lol
If I thought it was easier to aim with a controller I'd be using a controller instead of a M&KB on PC.
I wouldn't say that aiming with a controller is harder, I'd say that it's easier to play with a mouse.

02/18/2018 10:49 PMPosted by RichC
If I thought it was easier to aim with a controller I'd be using a controller instead of a M&KB on PC.

Is it THE RichC?
I loathe the statement "controllers are harder".

No, they're just worse. Like it's "hard" to survive in a mortar testing zone, but it's not challenging because there's nothing you can do about it. At best controllers are both simultaneously easier and harder because they're just an awkward mess of a device.

Controllers almost literally can't be used to snap to targets with any kind of precision, so they're "harder" in that sense. Yet the rest of the time you're just moving your crosshair over enemies and having aim assist do most of the work for you, which is much less challenging. With mouse the only thing determining whether you hit or not is you yourself. Not the limitations of the device, and not free aid from the computer either.

Also the problem with the vast majority of console shooters is they crank up the aim assist to levels way beyond what is necessary, killing any skillgap that could've otherwise existed. Just compare Halo 3 to Halo 4, it's a night and day difference. It's basically impossible to miss enemies in Halo 4 unless you're actively trying to.

02/18/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Profane
It definitely makes aiming easier, but it can become an issue at times too. For example, if you're trying to aim at a certain character and another enemy walks in front of them the aim assist can trigger and try to follow that character which can mess you up.

The very few times that actually happens don't make up for all rest of the time it aids you in combat, and the solution is as simple as dragging away from the other enemy anyways.
02/18/2018 11:20 PMPosted by Supernerd
I wouldn't say that aiming with a controller is harder, I'd say that it's easier to play with a mouse.

You’re right. I really should have stayed it that way. I lack a discipline.
02/18/2018 11:26 PMPosted by datpotatoe
I loathe the statement "controllers are harder".

No, they're just worse. Like it's "hard" to survive in a mortar testing zone, but it's not challenging because there's nothing you can do about it. At best controllers are both simultaneously easier and harder because they're just an awkward mess of a device.

Controllers almost literally can't be used to snap to targets with any kind of precision, so they're "harder" in that sense. Yet the rest of the time you're just moving your crosshair over enemies and having aim assist do most of the work for you, which is much less challenging. With mouse the only thing determining whether you hit or not is you yourself. Not the limitations of the device, and not free aid from the computer either.

Also the problem with the vast majority of console shooters is they crank up the aim assist to levels way beyond what is necessary, killing any skillgap that could've otherwise existed. Just compare Halo 3 to Halo 4, it's a night and day difference. It's basically impossible to miss enemies in Halo 4 unless you're actively trying to.

02/18/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Profane
It definitely makes aiming easier, but it can become an issue at times too. For example, if you're trying to aim at a certain character and another enemy walks in front of them the aim assist can trigger and try to follow that character which can mess you up.

The very few times that actually happens don't make up for all rest of the time it aids you in combat, and the solution is as simple as dragging away from the other enemy anyways.

But you do realize it would be very difficult and a complete wreck if there was no aim assist, correct? That’s all I’m saying. I’m not claiming that console players have it bad, I’m just saying it’s more difficult by a small margin.
02/18/2018 09:24 PMPosted by JimmyCarter
When did anyone who plays PC actually say that??

Look two posts below you. Someone proving my comment true entirely.
02/18/2018 09:25 PMPosted by SorinNoctis
02/18/2018 09:24 PMPosted by JimmyCarter
When did anyone who plays PC actually say that??

this... i think everyone who plays any fps on pc knows that pc is just sstraight up better lol.

This guy:
02/18/2018 09:24 PMPosted by MarioDragon
Console has aim assist...
Kinda can't deny it's easier when you get
Aim
Assist

LOL

On topic...aiming on console is not easier. On the other hand a mouse is just a much better tool when it comes to pointing and clicking with precision and quickness. it is much harder/slower/cumbersome to aim using a controller, so the aim assist is implemented for consoles to make it a more fluid task.

However, i have heard from many good console players that the aim assist actually messes up your shots in many scenarios making them sometimes inconsistent and unreliable and i have watched a video from a PS4 Widowmaker player who turns off their aim assist and honestly that player gives many PC players a run for their money using a controller.

A mouse is just the optimal tool for this kind of performance, the aim assist was implemented for the sole reason a controller is objectively inferior as an aiming device.

A few things to point out as differences:
-The Mouse can use low sensitivity for high precision and still allow snappy fast turn commands, and has in built DPI command modifier which allows to change the moving speed at any point.
-The controller has a 'dead' point in the center of its directional stick, which makes changing from left to righ and up to down have a slight delay, the turning sensitivity for speed cannot be altered in the fly. The controller also has much less keys then a keyboard, which limits key binding options.

Honestly the only trait that can be considered supperior in a controller is the fact you can make turning smooth and precise in a spinning motion by just holding a direction. While a mouse would not be able to do so(spinning in circles in the same direction at constant speed indefinitly).

TL;DR is...
No...aiming with a mouse is much easier, it is just the better tool for the job, THIS is why console gets in-built aim assist, it is an attempt of leveling the playfield a little.