Revert Mercy: Part 2.

PTR Feedback
Because the first thread reached its post limit:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20760768124#post-1
I'm making another!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P1Md792fF8
6:39 - 6:43.

"If we tone her down too much, we will bring her back"

You have once again missed the point entirely. This isn't about viability; we want Mercy to be fun to play again, and that cannot happen if you only care about her viability.

You have received plenty of feedback up until this point on how to fix your current mess of a "rework". You have failed, in spite of that feedback, to deliver a satisfactory solution to it over the course of nearly six months. Your newest patch to Mercy beautifully illustrates the lack of competence on your part to resolve this fiasco; players waited two months since the last Mercy patch in hopes that you could deliver, and you reveal that the patch is simply a set of nerfs that could have easily been pushed live a month earlier.

It's time to face the facts.

Since the reveal of the rework, here is the list of nerfs to Mercy:
- Pistol damage increase in Valkyrie removed.
- Pistol fire rate increase in Valkyrie removed.
- Flight speed in Valkyrie decreased from 11 meters/second to 9 meters/second.
- Resurrect's cooldown decrease from Valkyrie removed.
- Guardian Angel's cooldown no longer resets upon using Resurrect.
- Resurrect now has a 1.5 second cast time in which players cannot use abilities or attacks, and their movement speed is reduced to 25% of it's normal speed. Valkyrie removes this penalty.
- Valkyrie no longer removes the above penalty.
- Valkyrie no longer grants an extra charge of Resurrect upon activation.
- Valkyrie's Guardian Angel flight speed bonus reduced by 50%.
- Valkyrie's duration reduced to 15 seconds.

All of these took place over four patches. Through those patches, here are the issues that have been addressed:
- Resurrect is OP.
- Valkyrie is OP.

Here are the issues that have received no acknowledgement whatsoever through the words of developers or their updates, and have been introduced by their subsequent patches:
- The reasons for the rework were inherently flawed and unsupported in the first place.
- Mercy has an E ability that can only be used once every teamfight because of how situational it is and its absurd cooldown.
- Resurrect requires very little thought to utilize effectively.
- Resurrect feels like a chore to use.
- The slowdown from Resurrect goes against Blizzard's stated philosophy that Mercy should be about healing and mobility.
- Resurrect isn't earned.
- Resurrect is annoying to play against.
- Valkyrie is an uninspiring and disgusting conglomerate of existing abilities.
- Valkyrie is boring and unengaging. It's a chore to use.
- Valkyrie requires very little skill or thought to use effectively.
- After learning how to use the very basics of Valkyrie (so in the first 5 seconds of using it for the first time), there is no way to increase one's effectiveness in the fight, no matter how good they might have been with previous iterations of Mercy.
- Valkyrie is annoying to play against.
- Mercy's skill floor and skill ceiling are at the same position.
- The Valkyrie movement nerfs once again go against Blizzard's stated philosophy that Mercy should be about healing and mobility.
- Valkyrie provides literally no reason to stay engaged with its Resurrect bonuses being removed, and feels like even more of a chore to activate.

"We love Mercy too."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlCqJ1tD3M&t=68s
0:31.

Very clearly, you don't. Because if you did, you wouldn't be ignoring the feedback and feelings of those who play/played her, and I would not be copy/pasting my previous "Revert Mercy" thread with some modifications.

Revert Mercy. Realize just how badly you !@#$ed up. Admit a mistake, and fix it.
"It's time you woke up."
- The Queen of Junkertown.
Please stop ignoring all of these threads, acknowledge them. I know you know you made a mistake now do what other developers won't do and own up to the mistake. Take a step back. Revert. Start over again.
Agreed. Revert her. Perhaps give her an E ability that is a scaled back version of Valk. Instead of nerfing her directly, buff Ana, let her biotic grenade splashing corpses prevent rezzing. Consider adding that effect to other heroes existing abilities. Also consider giving other healers the ability to rez because Mercy shouldn't be a "must pick".
#revertMercy
02/14/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Sinzh
buff Ana, let her biotic grenade splashing corpses prevent rezzing

THAT is a pretty neat itdea I have to say! It would automatically make ana to a "mercy counter", but still as a support. It would be a great argument against the "rezz as an ult is still too easy"-faction.

Seriously I like the Idea (of course only in connection with giving her the old 1.0 ult back, of course)

#revertMercy
Titanium, you've been on the forums much longer than me, and I already feel exhausted. Would love to discuss with you where you feel Mercy should be exactly, you're very informed. There are other supports, yes, and Mercy's base kit is still the same enjoyable healer, yes, but the character has been shifted almost entirely thanks to this rework. The magic has been taken away from her, and as someone who spent over 5000 hours playing similar healers in other games, even I find it hard to enjoy Mercy for more than half a match. Blizzard, please reconsider your stance on Valkyrie.
The fact that this many people are distressed should say something to Blizzard. Even if the development team think that the rework was the right thing to do and that she's in a perfect place right now. They still have to take a serious look at her. We're dealing with tens of thousands of unhappy players. That isn't something to just brush off as "Oh it's blind emotion." or "That's nostalgia talking.". Eventually Blizzard (and Jeff included) will need to at least humor the idea that they made a mistake.

Jeff also needs to consider that the feedback on Mercy has been skewed against her. As Jeff himself since the beginning has shed a very negative light on her (the rework video). He acted as the catalyst for a huge bandwagon against Mercy. Certain streamers, pro players and internet personalities have been against her from the start as well.

I have to say, I've played since the open beta and spent the majority of my time watching it when it was in closed beta. Before the rework no one cared about her. She was barely the subject of any conversation. Definitely not as toxic or unpleasant as it has been for the past half year.

Revert Mercy.
#RevertMercy!
She is incredibly boring to play as, her flames rate is the lowest in the game, she actually takes almost no skill (her basics yes, thanks god), she can't do anything remotely interesting or heroic, just hold M1, she must hide all the time for everything, she can't be balanced without being extremely unfun, she is bullied all the time...

We never wanted your rework, we never needed it. We didn't like your op moth and we don't like it yet. We want Mercy, the real hero, the hero who could be played engaging, back. Revert her or at very least bring back her old ultimate. Tweak what you consider necessary, but this design is garbage and must go.
Revert Mercy,Make Mercy Great Again
Glad you're still doing this Titanium. I hope everyone can respect the effort that you put in, and I really hope the devs notice. If any single person deserves a direct response blue post on these forums, it's you.
#RevertMercy - Developers must realise they made a mistake but don't want to own up to that. I don't care who's to blame as long as something is done to fix it rather than abandon it for 6 months to a year, or even longer.

EDIT: Not sure what fool downvoted this post, but at least have the decency to reply and state why you disagree instead of hiding.
It's good to see you're still up to defend Mercy's place and identity in the game. Myself, I've said as much as I could, both on what could be done about Valkyrie if it's here to stay, or on why this rework is getting nowhere and ruined any good intention we might suppose it had. But there's so much feedback, and so little official response (apart from one "we don't intend to revert her, we think she's fine"), I don't think I have anything substantial left to add. When there's so little dialogue on a subject that sparks so many reactions, at some point, even said reactions start to die down.

So, I guess, thanks for the apathy, Blizz.
02/15/2018 02:02 AMPosted by BubbleWrap
Titanium, you've been on the forums much longer than me, and I already feel exhausted. Would love to discuss with you where you feel Mercy should be exactly, you're very informed. There are other supports, yes, and Mercy's base kit is still the same enjoyable healer, yes, but the character has been shifted almost entirely thanks to this rework. The magic has been taken away from her, and as someone who spent over 5000 hours playing similar healers in other games, even I find it hard to enjoy Mercy for more than half a match. Blizzard, please reconsider your stance on Valkyrie.
I made a thread about exactly why I don't like Mercy right now and what I think she should look like. Here's a quote from it to answer your question:
Despite all of the things I despise about the rework, there is one good thing that came from it; Mercy’s Guardian Angel changes. Now That I’m done explaining why I hate this current version of Mercy, I’ll go ahead and provide an outline of what I think Mercy was/should be, IE: what I want another reworked/heavily changed Mercy to satisfy:
- Mercy remains as the game’s most dedicated healer, rewarding healing/amplifying damage over drawing her pistol unless directly attacked or in other specific circumstances.
- Mercy maintains high team-dependant mobility, with a little room for variation/independent mobility.
- Resurrect is a part of her kit, has practical use rather than just looking cool, is rewarded to the player based upon their performance, and incentivizes taking risks.
- Mercy’s skill is derived from the player’s ability to quickly recognize and analyze the situation, and beyond that their ability to quickly make decisions that make a clear difference in the fight; rewarding good decisions and punishing bad ones.
- Mercy remains as a low skill-floor hero (easy to pick up for new players) but has a clear path to becoming better with the hero and has very high potential for improvement.
- Mercy gets time as “the hero” that most other heroes get, even if it’s just for a moment.
- If Mercy is given a basic E ability (which I am indifferent to, so long as the other parts are satisfied), it can be used more often than once every teamfight, and is flexible as to how or when it is used.
- “Heroes never die!”, the real one, not the “meh” one, remains as her signature voice line.
- Her ultimate must feel like a privilege to use, not a chore.
You can find the thread here:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20760797128#post-1
Definitely time for a revert. Let's hope Blizzard sees it!

#RevertMercy!
Sadly I believe strongly that Blizzard has a few select people they listen to, "Beta Testers" or whatever you wish to call them. Sometimes these people's opinion are spot on with the community as a whole. However since it is a limited crowd there will be bias to heroes.
It makes sense since Blizzard can not listen to a community as a whole without a way of the community voting on issues. Also I believe that Blizzard forms are a way of hushing the crowd, giving people a place to rant to silent ears.
If you wish to down vote this post, I completely understand. The thought of your opinion being useless. That there is only a select few who truly decide where the game goes. But I implore you to question why the last thread on this topic, with so many votes and posts fell into silence from the devs.
#RevertMercy

It's the only way to actually give people who enjoyed playing that character any fun back!
Yes to all.
02/15/2018 05:05 AMPosted by RiotLion
Sadly I believe strongly that Blizzard has a few select people they listen to, "Beta Testers" or whatever you wish to call them. Sometimes these people's opinion are spot on with the community as a whole. However since it is a limited crowd there will be bias to heroes.
It makes sense since Blizzard can not listen to a community as a whole without a way of the community voting on issues. Also I believe that Blizzard forms are a way of hushing the crowd, giving people a place to rant to silent ears.
If you wish to down vote this post, I completely understand. The thought of your opinion being useless. That there is only a select few who truly decide where the game goes. But I implore you to question why the last thread on this topic, with so many votes and posts fell into silence from the devs.
Oh, I know they didn't read/don't care about it. But now I implore you to question as to why you think that's a reason to stop?

I'm not one for giving up, even if the tides aren't in our favor.
[/quote]Oh, I know they didn't read/don't care about it. But now I implore you to question as to why you think that's a reason to stop?[/quote]
I agree to not stop, that post was not to say stop in any means. However, to speculate on why the community as a whole has problems that Blizzard over looks. Which I believe they try to listen by having a small select crowd. With being small it will have biases but be slightly similar to how the community feels. Maybe some listen to the forms and their opinions do change.

A system I would like to see in the game is a version of a poll feature where the community truly decides the direction of the game and the devs job is to ask the questions and do what the community wants.