Is Genji Easy?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
02/16/2018 05:33 PMPosted by M3T4
02/16/2018 05:28 PMPosted by pkersinc

Mcree says hi.

McCree the hardest hero? He's not even the hardest hitscan hero....

How so? He has the least mobility. If you miss shots you literally die, u can't double jump wall climb to safety or press "e" for instant god mode. Mcree is all or nothing. Don't even try to put Mcree and Genji on the same level, the comparisons alone are asinine.
You all say dash is an op ability or get out of jail free card bro have you ever played genji? his hitbox stretches to 10 meters when he dashes just play the hero before you talk
02/16/2018 05:45 PMPosted by pkersinc
How so? He has the least mobility. If you miss shots you literally die, u can't double jump wall climb to safety or press "e" for instant god mode. Mcree is all or nothing. Don't even try to put Mcree and Genji on the same level, the comparisons alone are asinine.

Ana. Much harder than McCree, objectively.
02/16/2018 05:44 PMPosted by pooch
02/16/2018 05:26 PMPosted by AzshFayd
High skill ceiling with a low skill floor.

Difficult to master, but you can just pick him up and still get moderate value out of him.

Yet, many people with low play time on him are still just horrible.

Not killing anything with the no fall off infinite range m1 and squishy one-shotting very spammable "shotgun" m2, but also dying a lot despite having 27 get out of jail free cards.

If you cannot get kills playing Genji you are most likely bad at every other hero. He is the MOST EASIEST flanker to play.

Mobility owns everything in Overwatch and Genji is the epitome of mobility and avoidance.
02/16/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Nimmzwei
If you cannot get kills playing Genji you are most likely bad at every other hero. He is the MOST EASIEST flanker to play.

Keep telling yourself he's easy, atleast it'll make you feel better when you get outskilled and die to one.
I don't think hes the hardest hero to do well with, simply because hes given so many abilities that help him survive. On the mechanical skill department he doesn't really need as many skills as say someone like Widowmaker or tracer does.
In terms of mechanically difficult to just pick up and play my list goes like this:

1. Widowmaker
2. Ana
3. Zarya
4. Zenyatta
5. McCree
6. Hanzo
7. Genji
8. Tracer
9. Sombra
10. Orisa

Honorable Mention: Soldier:76. He is pretty easy to pick and and play, but if you have incredible aim then you can bring him up to the next level

So I would put Genji up there, as I had to spend about 30 hours on him before I even picked him in competitive, but I think there are harder characters. He is definitely not easy though.
He isnt exactly hard, but he isnt easy either.

He is easier than expected to pick up I would say.

I would put him around the same difficulty as Mccree. Mccree is easier to aim with, Genji has more GTFO cards.
Genji's number of things he can do make him both easy and hard. Spamming all your buttons and having no idea what you're doing will do decent, giving a low skill floor. But a great Genji that knows exactly how to position with all his jumps / wall climbs / dashes, and effectively pick off people is terrifying. Having so many options raises his skill ceiling.
02/16/2018 05:39 PMPosted by Bansheebot
Genji is the Safety-Net Hero.

No other hero has quite so many ways to go unpunished for misplay.

this, he is still very high skill ceiling but you can get away with so much with genji that no other character(even tanks) couldnt get away with
02/16/2018 06:07 PMPosted by GoatyMcGoat
02/16/2018 05:39 PMPosted by Bansheebot
Genji is the Safety-Net Hero.

No other hero has quite so many ways to go unpunished for misplay.

this, he is still very high skill ceiling but you can get away with so much with genji that no other character(even tanks) couldnt get away with

He can't though.

Everything except Dash just delays his death, dash only gets him out if his team is nearby, which happens with EVERY hero, if they use abilities right with their team around they live.
He is one of the most forgiving heroes in the game (although his current nemesis Moira certainly holds that crown atm). Hero difficulty is a much more complex subject than just asking whose easy/hard to play.

He's among the most difficult to learn and among the most difficult to master. But neither of these means he's difficult to get value out of for, like, 90% of players.

The list of heroes that get less value from the same amount of effort and skill investment than Genji is a long one: Ana, Bastion, Doomfist, McCree, Mei, Reaper, Reinhardt, Sombra, Symmetra, Torbjorn, Widowmaker. To me this means that all of them are harder to play than Genji.
He's not that easy nor very hard, he's in the middle. It's true genji has good escape options such as dash, wallclimb and deflect, but many decent players these days can shut genji down even when he's wallclimbing or double jumping. The hard part would be to use his abilities at the right time and requires some quick reflexes. Other than that, not much to genji really.
His base kit is easy to learn, similar to mercy, which is why he pulls a lot of hate.

His more advanced manuevers, such as dodging fire from 6 enemies, without utilizing deflect or dash is where his difficulty comes from and is often ignored but is usually the difference between the "bad" and "good" genji players.

He is and always has been countered by teamwork however the community on a whole has issues with teamwork, which usually results in genji hate or nerf threads as people are trying to nerf a player who has learned to dodge projectiles effectively.

- cheers
02/16/2018 04:48 PMPosted by GoatyMcGoat
he has a tonne of get out of jail free cards tbh

maybe against terrible players. But fight against decent ones, and a single mistake will cost you your life.

As for him being difficult or easy, Most of the people who post here about how easy he is don't even have more than an hour or two on him in total. So the credibility of their opinion is basically zero.

But i wouldn't call genji the hardest hero in this game. He's definitely up there, but in the end, it's all about the individual player.

Take professionals for example. Shadowburn is an amazing genji. He's not that good with hitscans. IDDQD on the other hand, is good with tracking and hitscans but sucks as a genji.

For some people, he feels easy to get used to. For some, he's the hardest hero in the game.

For me, he's one of the top 5 hardest heroes. But i consider doomfist a lot more difficult.
02/16/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Luci
02/16/2018 05:03 PMPosted by SlyOblivion
...Doesn't that apply to anything in any game?

No, because I have a handle on Doomfist but he's still incredibly hard to play. Dark Souls is hard even after you get the hang of it and its quirks. Genji isn't like Doomfist in that once you learn him he's effortless.
That's fair.
02/16/2018 04:47 PMPosted by NightKnight
Hes the hardest hero in the game

Doomfist is actually the hardest hero that you can play for now.
Genjis “escape cards” only work when he isn’t in the open. Think about it. What good is wall climb and SS if he has no cover or place to go?
I've played him for some hours and I pretty much get how to play him but using it in a match is extremely difficult

I feel more comfortable playing widowmaker than Genji in a match simply because I do not know what to do
He is not easy, but he is not the hardest character either. I guess he looks easy because It feels like he has a ton of "get out of jail cards" in his mechanical arm.