Make Lucio's ult less unreliable?

General Discussion
NOTE: At least read last paragraph if youre feeling lazy before commenting, even though I really encourage you to read the whole thing.

It's just too inconsistant in my opinion. Lucio's ult is designed in a way which makes it way less rewarding if you use it right before the team fight and by the time bullets start hitting things a big amount of the shields is already gone which means he gains less value out of it than he needs to get.

However, once the fight begins you either get lucky enough to survive through the animation or die because of random spam that sometimes wasn't even meant to hit you (not specifically talking about rat here, it happens with other heroes too).

So, why not make it so he doesnt instantly lose all of the ult, or speed up the animation or possibly allow him to beat drop in a wall (during wallride him slaming his gun onto the wall instead of the ground).
You actually walk away with effectively more health if you sound barrier after taking some damage...it allows for healing beneath the shield health.

Lucio has a lot of strength in his speed, but knowing when to crossfade and playing with your other healer are huge aspects of using his ult correctly.
heroes protected from ult loss is a small club and only genji is allowed to enter this year. next year...maybe
It needs to go off a bit faster.

The game in general was designed slower...thats why it takes 5 hits to build Torb's turret, thats why Sym's original turrets had a huge cool-down, the game was EXPECTED to be played at a certain speed and over time, that speed gets faster and faster.

Lucio's ult still has that "slow gameplay" design in how it works, so speeding up the animation would do wonders.
They just need to remove his little jump before he drops the beat. A Soldier: 76 can kill him with Tac Visor before he lands if he tries to reactively ult.

Maybe make him fall faster if he uses it when wall riding, so there's less chance of being shot out of the sky.
What could be more reliable then 20k instashields at a moment's notice? You just need to time it better.
02/16/2018 11:57 AMPosted by Bridge4
What could be more reliable then 20k instashields at a moment's notice? You just need to time it better.

Because it isn't at a moment's notice, and it's only 500 shields which decay instantly.
For having an extremely high ult charge at 2625 it is strangely not that good. Too much of a windup and decays way too fast. Zenyatta's ult charges with 2075 points and is instant while having a consistent effect with one being able to see its area of effect. Sure while transcendence doesn't protect against things like riptire, deadeye, or widow headshots, it has the benefit of not decaying at 80 hp per second.
02/16/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Feenecks
For having an extremely high ult charge at 2625 it is strangely not that good. Too much of a windup and decays way too fast. Zenyatta's ult charges with 2075 points and is instant while having a consistent effect with one being able to see its area of effect. Sure while transcendence doesn't protect against things like riptire, deadeye, or widow headshots, it has the benefit of not decaying at 80 hp per second.

I know right? A small improvement is needed to make it more reliable in my opinion. Its not so much the shields that bother me.
02/16/2018 11:47 AMPosted by Thanatos
They just need to remove his little jump before he drops the beat. A Soldier: 76 can kill him with Tac Visor before he lands if he tries to reactively ult.

Maybe make him fall faster if he uses it when wall riding, so there's less chance of being shot out of the sky.

Yeah I mean, its not fun taking so long to charge it and then you lose it because you tried using it the way it was supposed to be used. Sometimes it feels like youre being punished way too much for trying to do your job and protect your team.
02/16/2018 11:57 AMPosted by Bridge4

It's obvious that you didnt read the post. Otherwise you wouldnt be using the "ult better" argument. Oh wait nevermind you would still use it because as a dps main you probably hate supports "ruining your kills"
Coming from someone who was the former #1 Lucio on PC and hit top500 this season, his ult feels pretty bad. From the amount of time it actually takes to generate it (one of the longest in the entire game) and the fact that it seems like it's wasted way more than other heroes ults. The thing that really bugs me is that if I use my ult to counter a blade or a visor from the enemy team, the next time they will have their ult again, I will only be at 50 or lower.
Compare barrier to trans and you can see how barrier is lacking.

Trans is good at countering damage over time ults like blade and visor. Yet it can be cast instantly despite the ample warning of both of those ults. Barrier by design is meant to counter the large burst damage ults, those which usually apply damage near-instantly. And yet it has such a long wind up. Try timing your barrier in time to stop a squishy from dying to a riptire, it ain't easy or reliable at all. Against a grav, teams will opt for a trans over a barrier because of how much easier it is to die casting barrier in that situation. Not to mention barrier takes an eternity to build up, it needs some love.
Here's a wild idea:

Sound Barrier shields only start decaying when the target receives damage, otherwise they keep the full 500 shields for the full 5 seconds or so (however long it takes for them to decay to 0) and then vanish.

That way you can more reliably add shields to targets in danger of a RIP Tire or haven't quite gotten out of range of Self Destruct, without the shield decay punishing you for trying to help the team.

If used in a teamfight, the chip damage everyone takes will cause it to behave as is on live, but outside of that, it can more reliably counter burst damage ults like RIP Tire and Meteor Strike.
Even if I manage to get my ult off when there's a tire incoming, the tire has a timer of 10 seconds and can just wait out my ult. This is stupid. In order for lucio's ult to be a proper counter to burst damage, it should be much more instant in its casting... I don't think lucio should have better ult charge because then he'd be able to counter an incredible amount of attack ults per game, but to just make it POSSIBLE to counter attack ults would be lovely.
Lucio needs a buff in his boop. Sometimes I push the opponent, and he moves away minimal distance from me. I know there are several factors like if it's coming my way and all, but I still believe it needs a buff in that boop, to push it further.
NOTE: At least read last paragraph if you're feeling lazy before commenting, even though I really encourage you to read the whole thing.

It's just too inconsistant in my opinion. Lucio's ult is designed in a way which makes it way less rewarding if you use it right before the team fight and by the time bullets start hitting things a big amount of the shields is already gone which means he gains less value out of it than he needs to get.

However, once the fight begins you either get lucky enough to survive through the animation or die because of random spam that sometimes wasn't even meant to hit you (not specifically talking about rat here, it happens with other heroes too).

So, why not make it so he doesnt instantly lose all of the ult, or speed up the animation or possibly allow him to beat drop in a wall (during wallride him slaming his gun onto the wall instead of the ground).

Thank you for making a thread about this, and I hope Jeff notices.

It would be great if the sound barrier would either give you more shields or decay slower.
Sadly Lucios future looks pretty grim right now. Jeff has just currently stated that they don't intend to buff his ult. In a great and insightful thread like this one.

While Lucio is not in the worst position yet (Mercy and Ana have lower winrates) Sombra will become a hard counter to Lucio. Hanzo will become better at finishing him off (Scatter doesn't scare me when I never touch the ground). There will be more Meis which I like but makes it harder to play him. So the only thing except an unexpected buff might be the new hero. But as ow has evolved he is probably mobile on his own and will not need a lucio either.
Agreed, he's starting to suffer from a bit of power creep (same as rein) needs just a little something to make him more consistent in the game as it stands now.
If a Genji swift strikes another Genji that is swift striking or deflecting, they both get stunned.