Team chat auto join!

General Discussion
Love how they're looking into nerf's and buffs for characters but can't assign auto join for team chat in competitive play. Tired of two stacks and five stacks that don't join because they don't feel like it.
It’s not that they can’t. It’s that they won’t. There is no need to.
While I think it's silly to actively avoid the quickest form of communication in a competitive game playing for rank, in the end this is still a game people play for fun. Forcing people to talk to strangers should never be a part of it.
Unless you're gonna hack their computers and make them join voice chat, people have a right to not talk in voice.
02/17/2018 12:55 AMPosted by Vir
While I think it's silly to actively avoid the quickest form of communication in a competitive game playing for rank, in the end this is still a game people play for fun. Forcing people to talk to strangers should never be a part of it.
While it is a game, and games are meant for fun, we're also talking about a competitive environment. People are generally trying to win, and refusing to communicate with your team makes that a lot harder. It's not really fair on the other players. And besides, just because they're put into team chat by default wouldn't mean they can't just go back to group chat, no one would be "forced to talk to strangers". This would just encourage people to stay in team chat, more often than not people simply just forget to switch.

Oh man, look at all those downvotes. The hivemind is here.
when i am playing overwatch i am more often than not in a chat with friend in discord. i dont want to drop having fun talking to friends to listen to people rage.

if its that big of a deal you always have the option of making a 6man premade group to dictate your preferences to.
Isn't it in the options to auto-join? :o
02/17/2018 12:35 AMPosted by Se7enTease
Love how they're looking into nerf's and buffs for characters but can't assign auto join for team chat in competitive play. Tired of two stacks and five stacks that don't join because they don't feel like it.

I'm also tired of people yelling at me and telling me to kill myself over the fact that I play heroes that I find enjoyable (and play better) then what they tell me to play.

But hey, we each have our own opinions right?
Idk why there's so much negative statements and downvotes. It's not like I said quick play. I said comp, and I'm pretty sure the best way to win COMPETITIVE matches is to stay positive and communicate with your teammates. I've had my fair share of toxic people that complain and have nothing positive to contribute to the team but you know what I do? I mute them. I'm mostly in four and five stacks with my friends and we always, I mean ALWAYS join team chat to communicate with solo queues or smaller parties and you know what happens? We win. I'm only asking that when I solo queue or if I'm in a smaller party the other parties would join. If you wanna have fun and hear people complain less then play arcade or QP. Comp is literally for more serious players. So that's why it should be the only game mode that forces joined chat. If you don't wanna talk, mute yourself, make a discord, or make a party for console players. It's that simple. Tired of trying to play serious and that one 5-stack isn't working together with me and then messaging me to say I'm bad.
So the honest answer?

There's a fair chance that at least one reason they're grouping up is specifically to avoid team chat and all the related toxicity that comes with it...

So shuttling them back into something they've already gone out of their way to avoid isn't a great experience. And for those that this reason doesn't apply to, there's a "join team chat" button on the character select screen.
It should be comp only. I don't care if people dont talk. I just want them to be able to hear callouts, any strategies we plan on doing, ult combos, etc.

If you want to just talk to your friends then thats fine just don't play comp.
There's a choice to join when the game starts up. And it's not fair to those that try to stay positive and play solo or play in groups that join the chat to try and win. Toxic players are easy to avoid when you're in a group because of the seperate chats however, that's no excuse to not join chat and ruin the game for others who sit through the toxicity. There's a simple solution to toxic players: just mute them. I would be more upset if I'm trying to work together to combo with my Zarya and she throws the ult randomly because she can't hear me since she's in chat.
02/17/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Kilo
It should be comp only. I don't care if people dont talk. I just want them to be able to hear callouts, any strategies we plan on doing, ult combos, etc.

If you want to just talk to your friends then thats fine just don't play comp.

That's what I mean by it. Even to hear callouts or say you need help. Like that's all I'm asking for. It's not like I'm asking for Papa Jeff to visit me at home and tell me all of the new heroes.
sometimes I wanna play a match, even in comp, without jags like you screeching in my ear over whatever goon killed you or whichever tank or healer you want to blame for your own poor performance.
communication is overrated
Hmm can't imagine why people wouldn't want to join Team Chat when half the time it's just people !@#$%ing that the team is so bad and blaming everyone else instead of actually staying positive and trying to work together to win.

It's distracting. Some people know they will play better without having to hear this !@#$ every game.
02/17/2018 02:55 PMPosted by Roadhog
sometimes I wanna play a match, even in comp, without jags like you screeching in my ear over whatever goon killed you or whichever tank or healer you want to blame for your own poor performance.

So then you mute me if I'm being too loud but I'm not someone who yells on mic because something isn't working. I recommend switching up composition so that we have better chances of winning which is the point of comp, and I don't blame others for my poor performance. I actually take responsibility for not being at 100% which is rare for any player in any game. So if I'm doing good I want it to be that we're all doing good since it's a team built game, not campaign mode on CoD.
02/17/2018 02:56 PMPosted by Witch
Hmm can't imagine why people wouldn't want to join Team Chat when half the time it's just people !@#$%ing that the team is so bad and blaming everyone else instead of actually staying positive and trying to work together to win.

It's distracting. Some people know they will play better without having to hear this !@#$ every game.

I understand that the community is very toxic but for players like me that actually try to win by working together and in a positive way it's not fair that there isn't communication besides the constant spam of thanks and that one person that joins chat to complain AFTER the game is done. You know what I mean?
isn't there a setting already that does it? because i'm pretty sure there was once
And even if they auto-joined the voice chat what would keep them from remaining silent? Hell, not everybody even speak the same language as you.