How to reduce toxicity

General Discussion
Here's a simple way to make toxicity, one tricks, 6 DPs or 4 mercy mains, stream snipers less common and it's not role queue, better reporting systems or VoD reviews.

I'll try to keep it short and simple so people will actually read it.

Main Topics

• Team Creator
  • Player Flagging
  • Hero Preference
  • Team Creator

So when you press the Competitive Tab. You get two Options: LFT and Create Team

I'll start with Create Team first. Pressing this brings you to a screen showing who is currently on your team as well as three options to make the team Invite Only, Friends Only and Open to LFT players.

Mousing over player portraits shows how much time players have on their top 5 played heroes. Depending on screen real estate, next to the player's name and portrait, up to 5 to 27 hero portraits will be shown which are the heroes the player has indicated they prefer or are proficient with.

Once the team is full and everyone's satisfied with their team members, everyone presses Ready and the team gets thrown into the matchmaker to be matched with another team of 6 with similar SR or MMR or whatever.

If the Team is less than satisfactory, Team members can initiate a simple majority vote to kick anyone they don't like. The Team Creator however has absolute power and can kick anyone without requiring a vote.

Kicked members can not join the Team Creator's team until the team is disbanded and recreated or when a match has been completed.

Those who press LFT will be filled to any open teams with similar SR or matched up with other solo queuers with similar SR into the team menu with one of them being randomly selected as team leader.

To speed up Matchmaking, teams that are open to LFT may be filled into other teams who are open to LFT. So a 4 man open team can be matched with another existing 2 man open team to form a 6 man. Team leadership is randomly assigned by the game in this case.

Implications
    Just this one simple screen and a lot of the complaints in this forum will disappear. No more stream snipers or known trolls can ever be put in your team unless you want it. You will never have a team maining the same heroes unless you want it. One tricks no longer need to handle abuse because they wouldn't be in a team that doesn't want them to begin with or they create their own team of people who are more accepting. No more players of undesirable rank in your team if you don't want them.

With this system, everyone is playing in a six stack. Matchmaking is no longer rolling a 12 twenty sided dice of hoping who gets the troll or afker.

NO ROLE QUEUE so a meta will not be forced. Whether you are fine with a 222, 5 DPs comp, 6 support comp is decided before the match starts and entirely up to you.

Player Flagging

This feature will supplement the Team Creator. Players can be flagged by placing a green or red border or graphic on the player's portrait. You may type a short description to describing why you flagged this player.

The difference between Flagging and Reporting is it does nothing to affect whether the player is matched with you or not nor does it result in any action from Blizzard. It is just a note visible to you only to remind you why you like or hate this player.

Reported someone for being toxic but you forgot his name or he changed his battle tag? Flagging persists forever so that you will never forget who you want or don't want to be matched with.

Along with a Team Creator screen, you will never be trolled by the same account twice.

Hero Preference
    In a new tab of a player's career profile, they can select the heroes they prefer to play and this will be displayed on the team creator screen.

This is mainly for player information for potential strategizing and if someone is dishonest about their ability to play a hero, you can just flag him and move on.

If you've made it to the end, do you think this will work?
    it might be, hero preference should be accounted in matchmaking. hope the devs will look into your ideas.

but, it's not the only source of toxicity.
    Player flagging definitely seems like a step in the right direction.
    That is cool.
    The idea is knowing teammate before starting the match
    or it is likely to have a game browser for comp not just quickplay in form of "SR limitation"
    02/18/2018 04:16 AMPosted by SPACEJACK

but, it's not the only source of toxicity.

True. I'm hoping that with the player flagging system, the players only have to suffer a toxic attack once and have the choice the avoid the situation in future.

Perhaps, with time, a heavily flagged toxic player will find it harder and harder to actually get into or form a team and have no choice but to buy a new account. If he has learnt his lesson, then fine, he gets a fresh start. If not, he'll just be isolated once more and the cycle repeats.
    02/18/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Avensol
    Player flagging definitely seems like a step in the right direction.

When combined with a Team screen, you get to weed out the bad apples known to you before the game starts and save yourself 20 to 30 minutes of grief.

02/18/2018 04:48 AMPosted by Spike
    That is cool.
    The idea is knowing teammate before starting the match
    or it is likely to have a game browser for comp not just quickplay in form of "SR limitation"

Glad you like it.
    Hey, that's not a horrible idea. There's more you can do though...

https://redd.it/7y87hy
    Honestly, this just sound like something that should've been in the game to start with.
    Originally, I recall that comp required a 6-stack only in beta, which is problematic for people who either play at erratic hours (I personally am one of those,) have a different timezone than their battle-tagged friends, or simply are starting new with no friends to speak of.

If they just implement this lobby system, it would solve all of those problems that the original comp system faced, as well as give solo queuers a little bit more control with the whole 'roll the dice' scenario that currently plagues them.
    Not to mention it allows players to essentially take the 'avoid' or 'prefer' options into their own hands.
    Perhaps that guy you hated yesterday was just having a bad day and you give him another chance? Just change the flag.
    Really positive guy that had some stellar callouts? Change the flag.

I 100% support this just because it opens so many doors, none of them bad, and I personally don't see how it could be abused.
    02/18/2018 08:59 PMPosted by OzoneOOO
    Hey, that's not a horrible idea. There's more you can do though...

https://redd.it/7y87hy

Thanks.

I've read through yours and I must admit I did not give as much thought on the subject as you have. I will not pretend to understand all of it but it is impressive nonetheless. My only criticism is that it seems a bit complicated.

My primary goal is to leave everything as simple and as close to the system we have as possible with the exception that a player has slightly more control over who he gets matched up with in order to reduce toxicity and frustration.

So if you are a laid back player who just wants a quick competitive game, it's just a simple click on LFT and wait to press Ready when you have 6 people. No fuss no muss.

If you are more picky with who you are matched with, it's a simple glance to check for any flagged players, the hero pool of the team, hero play times by mousing over portraits and make one of four decisions :Vote to kick, Kick, Click Ready or Leave team.
    I posted a similar idea recently. This idea will also reduce the number of leavers, because if you queue into a team you don't want you can just leave from the lobby without a 50 SR penalty and be replaced before the 6-stack even enters a game.

One downside to this system is it will harshly punish off-meta one-trick players. They will be kicked out of every team and flagged by everyone. Ultimately they will be unable to find teams to join. I personally don't care about OTP's, but they constitute a large portion of the player-base and the devs will never alienate them like this. For example, there used to be an "avoid this player" feature and the devs got rid of it for the same reason, that some players would be avoided so much that they had to wait absurdly long times to find games.

We absolutely cannot keep the current competitive queuing system in which we roll the dice to see if we get a team we can work with. Half of our games are won or lost in the spawn room.
    02/18/2018 10:38 PMPosted by ShellShock

One downside to this system is it will harshly punish off-meta one-trick players. They will be kicked out of every team and flagged by everyone. Ultimately they will be unable to find teams to join. I personally don't care about OTP's, but they constitute a large portion of the player-base and the devs will never alienate them like this.

As there are quite a number of players in this forum that say that they don't mind being matched up with OTPs, it is my hope that they will always find a place even in this system.

Their queue times might be longer but the abuse they will face will also reduce. I'm sure OTPs will prefer waiting longer in order to play with players who want them in their team to matching up randomly with those who don't and ruining the experience for both sides.
    Bump.
    Shameless bump, rather.
    02/19/2018 09:54 AMPosted by RavageDionne
    Bump.
    Shameless bump, rather.

Thanks for the bump.

Probably can't bump anymore in the upcoming forums though.