Why are people so selfish on a team based game ?

General Discussion
?
Cause they haven't figured out it's a team based game yet.
"Overwatch is a selfless game played by selfish people."

It's almost poetic.
If you are so worried about the selfish people in a game, good luck when you go outside.
Performance based SR, it doesn't encourage teamwork.
You can only trust yourself best indeed, but that shouldn’t mean you wouldn’t trust others at all.

More people believe in their teammates, more chill they become I think, instead walling themselves in a ‘I solo carry or we doomed’ attitude.

It is kinda difficult to do that with one time only randoms though.
02/19/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Hauven
02/19/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Hauven

And SR is based on time spent on fire in the match, and I think supports and tanks that play only defensively naturally spend less time on fire than the damage dealers*

*I may be wrong, I haven't checked this in a while, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Because the majority of the people who play it wont accept their own mistakes and rather blame their teammates. They all do the same so the "Team" becomes a group of people throwing !@#$ to each other instead of cooperating and trying to achieve something. Everyone believes they dont make mistakes so when someone makes one he or she receives a never ending flow of hate
Because it's not like a real team game with set roles that you adhere to. It'd be like watching baseball and all the guys in the outfield say "nope, I'm gonna be pitcher" and the guys on the bases drop their gloves and pick up bats. We have 5 squishy dps heroes on defense, so it's the 6th person's job to try and salvage the sloppy chud bucket of a team?
Because there is only one game mode: versus. You're throwing people into one game type with a few, slight variants and that is it. This game is overrated trash and the reason it has such a toxic community is because most of the people who play it are garbage. !@#$ this game.
02/19/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Slippy
Because it's not like a real team game with set roles that you adhere to. It'd be like watching baseball and all the guys in the outfield say "nope, I'm gonna be pitcher" and the guys on the bases drop their gloves and pick up bats. We have 5 squishy dps heroes on defense, so it's the 6th person's job to try and salvage the sloppy chud bucket of a team?

Exactly.

It’s like a quarter back on a football team changing into a receiver, and the receiver just ups and leaves, and the defensive tackle becomes quarter back and we lose miserably.
Here's just one idea...

FPS exploded in popularity (at least on consoles) after games like Goldeneye/Perfect dark... which were then followed by the huge hits like Halo1, Halo2, and then of course Halo3, which is about the time the Call of Duty games showed up and started eating halo's market share.

Since then, FPS games (again, at least as far as consoles are concerned) kinda peaked... and haven't much evolved. We've all heard of the CoD/halo clones and how generic they are.

In all of those^ games, it was all about GLORY. How many kills can you secure? I still remember when Halo2 dropped and it was the first time I'd heard of a "K/D" spread... after that... it's like all my friends and I cared about were how many kills we got. And even then, those kills didn't matter if we were dying a lot.

So anyway, shooters peaked, and companies are looking for ways to switch up the formula. One of those ways is to introduce game play that forces cooperation and focus on objectives, rather that just going and out securing kills each. and. every. game. like the last 50 FPS titles we've played over the earlier years.

I know I mentioned consoles even though OW is a PC game... but my point is... I wouldnt have touched OW if I hadn't first played those other FPS's on consoles. Those earlier games gave me the confidence to just try in the first place, because I knew aiming with a mouse/keyboard would take some getting used to.

At any rate... gamers need to adapt to OW, and those that refuse, well... they're gonna have a bad a time.