If you think you don't belong in Bronze or Silver.

Competitive Discussion
Submit a video of your performance in a fairly close match to a Master or Grandmaster player and have them review it.

Most people in these ranks make the excuse that since they have a mic, they often get gold elims and are not Hanzo-meme, they automatically deserve to rank up. I used to have this fallacy as well until I sent a video of my performance and realized just how many mistakes I made, which I overlooked simply because other players were making more blatant errors.

Possibly so, your aim/tracking is off, your engaging in matchups you shouldn't, you're overextending too far, you're firing beyond the falloff range, you're not being watchful of team mates in trouble and saving them from opponents attacks.
I'm not Masters (Diamond rn), but I can help doing reviews, I have experience doing (lots) of self VODs reviews, and reviewing some friends' games. If you really wanna a professional experience, folks like Jayne(who does reviews for subs) and iostux(who is a paid coach) are good options.
02/20/2018 06:30 AMPosted by BernieSander
I used to have this fallacy as well until I sent a video of my performance and realized just how many mistakes I made, which I overlooked simply because other players were making more blatant errors.

Everyone has room to improve. Bronze is the lowest rank, arguably if you see other players making blatant errors which you are not, perhaps you should be in Silver rather than Bronze.

Simply having someone pick apart a video, while helpful, is just going to be one player's opinion of what rank you should be at, and let's face it, the community seems to enjoy telling players they belong at lower ranks rather than higher ones.
02/20/2018 06:49 AMPosted by substatica

Simply having someone pick apart a video, while helpful, is just going to be one player's opinion of what rank you should be at, and let's face it, the community seems to enjoy telling players they belong at lower ranks rather than higher ones.

The point of having a higher rank player pick apart a video is to improve. Of course you want a higher skilled player doing the review; they're the ones who will spot the most mistakes and have the most solutions for the problems they notice.
I've already tested this. My account is gold/silver, yet I have another account that is masters. I perform the same and get about the same results as far as win/loss. The SR ranking system is messed up. Once you're put in a rank it's very difficult to break out of it. I have however many season we are now in plat/gold/silver, so the game thinks that I belong there and there's no way out. My master account is 2 seasons old and it thinks I belong there, so I just hover in that same range all the time. Same performance, different starts. Each season needs to be independent and place you solely based on that season.
02/20/2018 07:36 AMPosted by Arzoo

The point of having a higher rank player pick apart a video is to improve. Of course you want a higher skilled player doing the review; they're the ones who will spot the most mistakes and have the most solutions for the problems they notice.

Certainly. Though that's not the point that the OP seems to be making, rather, as the title suggests, such a critique should be utilized to refute players who believe they are under ranked.
Yes and no.

Yes having a higher level player critic you is better and "could" get your ranking up.

No cause the SR system is not very good...(to be blunt)

This account was create from the day OW opened so it has past history of me being an idiot and learning how to FPS for the first time. It contains my ENTIRE history of mistakes.

Now, I have improved most definitely, and I know i'm no master player hiding in silver. But the only thing that is really annoying is not knowing if what your doing is actually going to improve you score or not. In relation I have noticed a pattern of many one sided losing streak and then many one sided winning streak. *Note I'm not including leaver or trolls!*

Its rare to get that one match where you feel the teams are actually even.

Also i'm not just including my silver statics in this. I have another friend who is diamond and he has the same issue.
Everyone has room to improve. Bronze is the lowest rank, arguably if you see other players making blatant errors which you are not, perhaps you should be in Silver rather than Bronze.

noticing others mistakes doesnt automatically make you qualify for a higher rank.

positioning allows me to see most of my team most of the game. i notice the errors of others as well as my own every single time i play. just noticing the errors in your own gameplay doesnt automatically make you able to make changes. nor does it make you deserve a higher rank.
02/20/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Mizzerella

noticing others mistakes doesnt automatically make you qualify for a higher rank.

positioning allows me to see most of my team most of the game. i notice the errors of others as well as my own every single time i play. just noticing the errors in your own gameplay doesnt automatically make you able to make changes. nor does it make you deserve a higher rank.

Take it easy there professor, I said perhaps. Obviously there's no blanket statement for the situation.
Well, I think even a bronze player could point out the mistakes of a masters player if anyone submitted a video.

There will always be mistakes to point out - and ofcourse it will be highly justified in accordance with the rank in this situation.
02/20/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Zer033
I've already tested this. My account is gold/silver, yet I have another account that is masters. I perform the same and get about the same results as far as win/loss. The SR ranking system is messed up. Once you're put in a rank it's very difficult to break out of it. I have however many season we are now in plat/gold/silver, so the game thinks that I belong there and there's no way out. My master account is 2 seasons old and it thinks I belong there, so I just hover in that same range all the time. Same performance, different starts. Each season needs to be independent and place you solely based on that season.

I call garbage on this. Perhaps you overperformed on one account, and you have grown worse, but the discrepancy between Silver and Masters is unreal. If you're stuck in Silver, there's no way you can maintain an account in anything above Gold.
I have 2 accounts. This one is a day one account. It is gold. Started plat in season 1 and 2. My other account is 2 or 3 seasons old. It is gm and masters.

For someone that has played in both, I can tell you the experience isn't as different as you might think.

There are just as many blow out games. Difference is, in masters it just happens sometimes or someone is throwing to derank. In gold it usually happens because of skill gap difference from a technical standpoint. One dps is basically carrying. That doesn't usually happen in masters.

Team communication is actually more present in lower games. Most masters assume everyone is just on same page and mics are normally silent.

Except when... losing

There is still comp complaining and blaming.

So. What I'm saying is you're really not missing anything by being in lower ranks. All the same blowouts happen. All the same complaining. All the same trolling. It's the same game.
02/20/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Spilo
02/20/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Zer033

I call garbage on this. Perhaps you overperformed on one account, and you have grown worse, but the discrepancy between Silver and Masters is unreal. If you're stuck in Silver, there's no way you can maintain an account in anything above Gold.

Well in my defense the gold account is like 95 percent hanzo while on the gm masters I use mcree and widow primarily.

It's another one of my gripes about the game. I consider hanzo my best, yet he's gold. There's a massive imbalance in characters. Master healer and tanks for instance, I have absolutely no respect for. No skill players with a free pass to higher ranks.

My other theory is that people tilt when they see a hanzo pick. Also since this account is stuck gold, ine primary difference in gold vs masters is taking advantage of opportunities. In gold I will often get 2 or 3 kills in a team and my team won't rush, so it ends up being just 2 or 3 kills, no effect on game.
@zer033, LMFAO. There is no way as a GM dps main you would ever get stuck at 1900 SR or have that trash accuracy to crit ratio in sub gold games. Please link that bought account that was GM.

What a good troll though, next.
02/20/2018 08:34 AMPosted by Zer033
02/20/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Spilo

Well in my defense the gold account is like 95 percent hanzo while on the gm masters I use mcree and widow primarily.

It's another one of my gripes about the game. I consider hanzo my best, yet he's gold. There's a massive imbalance in characters. Master healer and tanks for instance, I have absolutely no respect for. No skill players with a free pass to higher ranks.

My other theory is that people tilt when they see a hanzo pick. Also since this account is stuck gold, ine primary difference in gold vs masters is taking advantage of opportunities. In gold I will often get 2 or 3 kills in a team and my team won't rush, so it ends up being just 2 or 3 kills, no effect on game.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah, you sure are GM in one account and Gold in another.
Just look up the IDDQD video of him going bronze to diamond in one day, even with heroes he rarely plays, using random handicaps, and you'll see how laughable this bull!@#$ you're saying is.
02/20/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Djinn

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Just look up the IDDQD video of him going bronze to diamond in one day, even with heroes he rarely plays, using random handicaps, and you'll see how laughable this bull!@#$ you're saying is.

Youre missing the point. This account is since the game came out. My other is 2 seasons. If I started another I probably could get there with hanzo, but since each season doesnt reset mmr or stats it is too difficult because sr is based mostly on win loss.
02/20/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Djinn

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Checked that guys videos. He deranked from gm to 600 sr then went back up. The system already has him at high mmr so its easier to rank. I'd like to see a 6 season bronze account with horrible play history be ranked to gm. Same character too. And not one of the characters that can abuse noobs like pharah or tracer or mcree or soldier or widow. Obviously those characters can make low ranks feel helpless if theyre in the right hands. Even hanzo can to an extent, but a much lower one bevause they can counter you easier.
i think i belong in gold. im fine with that. and i hover 2100 - 2300 the past 200 games
02/20/2018 09:26 AMPosted by Zer033
Youre missing the point. This account is since the game came out. My other is 2 seasons. If I started another I probably could get there with hanzo, but since each season doesnt reset mmr or stats it is too difficult because sr is based mostly on win loss.

You're delusional. If you are actually able to hold in masters, you should win 90%+ of games in silver. Nothing would hold you down in that rank, it wouldn't matter what your old ranks were. Either your Hanzo is some how orders of magnitude worse than your play on hitscan heroes, or you are lying. (I know which one I'd bet on).

BernieSander, you're unlikely to get much response. These people are generally just coping with something they don't like: the fact that they aren't good at the game they play. It's an emotional defense mechanism, not a rational evaluation or desire to improve.

That said, if you seriously think you don't belong, I can help review some videos too.
Oh, absolutely!

Any low ELO people who think they are being held back by their teammates and they absolutely deserve a higher rank, post a video here. I’d love to critique.