New Builder Ability: Bouncepad

General Discussion
There has been some talk about potential changes to builders at the moment and it occurred to me that a buildable bouncepad has some interesting applications.

At the moment Mei is the only one that can get other hero's to higher areas and takes a little co-operation to use. A bouncepad is a little more straight forward. It is useful for both defenders and attackers. Mei is already used to put defenders in better positions and attackers can use it to take side routes and get past chokes.

It makes most sense for Symmetra as she is a little more welcome on attack than Torbjorn. Probably is best to give it limited uses so it wont be used for evasion as much.
I really like this idea, but worry it might negatively affect Mei.
I know what you mean Osprey but sometimes Mei is used for that ability and then immediately switched to another hero before the match starts so I think she needs some big changes anyway.
I really like the idea, but this ability could easily become a must-have on nearly all maps. I played a game that had deployable jumppads, and there were two characters that had it - the variety was welcome because it was indeed meta-defining. I still hope Blizzard has it on their radar and figures it out.
I don't think I know that game. Which game is it?
NO.
Sorry I missed your thread Vacunation. The option to make an accelerator pad instead would be a good way to make the ability not useless on certain maps. Kind of like a mini teleporter in the sense that it speeds up your spawn-to-objective travel time.
Having a bounce pad for symmetra doesn't fit her as a character (unless blizzard confirmed that shes able create one), BUT I still prefer her to build hardlight photon bridges for her team since it appeared in the better world' comic. Give torb a jump pad, he might need it since hes short to reach high ground, have him build 2 maybe.
One of the reason dive heroes are so powerful is because map design made a lot places so hard/long to reach for anyone without wall climbing or jumps. Jump pads would help balance out this power disparity. Like numbani defenders high ground can’t be reached by mccree without a full flank.
Counterpoint: A bounce pad would be very easy to grief with, in a game where the heroes with team mobility utility are already used to grief.
02/14/2018 06:50 AMPosted by SafetyCube

Gigantic. It's gonna close its servers in July :|
I'm not sure how you would use it to grief. It's not like a teleporter where you don't know where it leads.
02/14/2018 06:39 AMPosted by Feculator
I really like the idea, but this ability could easily become a must-have on nearly all maps. I played a game that had deployable jumppads, and there were two characters that had it - the variety was welcome because it was indeed meta-defining. I still hope Blizzard has it on their radar and figures it out.

Maybe if it was an ult? Functioning like Symm's ults-- static until destroyed. That would make it where it couldn't be spammed for positioning (and wouldn't take away Mei's consistency with walls) The problem would just be nailing down the rest of the kit so that it could be a gamechanger but not niche!
Yeah I thought about it being an ult but it just doesn't seem good enough for that.

Sorry to hear about Gigantic. I'm surprised I never heard about it. Looks good.
02/14/2018 06:25 AMPosted by SafetyCube
There has been some talk about potential changes to builders at the moment and it occurred to me that a buildable bouncepad has some interesting applications.

At the moment Mei is the only one that can get other hero's to higher areas and takes a little co-operation to use. A bouncepad is a little more straight forward. It is useful for both defenders and attackers. Mei is already used to put defenders in better positions and attackers can use it to take side routes and get past chokes.

It makes most sense for Symmetra as she is a little more welcome on attack than Torbjorn. Probably is best to give it limited uses so it wont be used for evasion as much.
Torb > sym on attack why? 150 damage shotgun no fall off 70 primary fire
Why do you want to implement the meme pad from fortnite?
Perhaps this is the best way to discourage its use for evasion ie jumping up and down on it to make you hard to hit.

Make it so it doesn't work like the other bounce pads in Overwatch. When you step on it you travel in a preset path that is the same every time. Perhaps you even travel at a relatively slower speed than other jump pads. The travel path can be visible when you build it for ease of use.
02/14/2018 07:42 AMPosted by Feculator
02/14/2018 06:50 AMPosted by SafetyCube

Gigantic. It's gonna close its servers in July :|
I'm going to miss that game, I did played it but not as often. They did release some awesome characters in that game.
As a sym player, not exactly a fan, feels like it synergizes much better with torbjorns kit. Outside of her ultimate, highground doesnt give her an advantage due to being a melee range hero. But yeah, it would be a welcome addition to builders.