I've noticed something odd with Season 8.

Competitive Discussion
And that observation is that a lot of "traditional" Top 500 players have dropped. Now, I just want to clarify, I barely watch Overwatch streams, but I tune into streams sometimes. The few players I've noticed that have dropped to low gm are players like Kephrii, Galeadelade, and probably many others. I've also noticed, people that were lower previous seasons have jumped higher this season. Does this have something to do performance based sr going away?

What do you guys think? Any better (speculated) or reasonable explanations?
Thats definately true, saw 1-9 score, 1kd hog main 3400 carrer high getting +400 SR and top 500 7-3 score guy losing 400 SR in my friend list.

Both dont understand it from any point. And the first guy already lost about the same as the second one gained since placements, it was obvious only from numbers and history that it will happen, so placement system is really failing hard this season.

I dont know what is the reason, placements were definately the most random and worst ones in term of accurate placing. I hope they will fix it for S9, because its demotivational and also it mess up games, when these guys will quickly climb lower or higher they were before. Doesnt make any sense.
Thats definately true, saw 1-9 score, 1kd hot main 3400 carrer high getting +400 SR and top 500 7-3 score guy losing 400 SR in my friend list.

Both dont understand it from any point.

I dont know what is the reason, placements were definately the most random and worst ones in term of accurate placing. I hope they will fix it for S9.
I've just noticed matchmaking has been terrible this season. Getting 3600-3800s in my games when I'm 4k. There is a difference and it kinda bothers me. I just want better MM.
I imagine so.

Without performance based SR. Off meta heroes and teamwork reliant heroes are gonna drop.

Widow is one such hero.
Thats definately true, saw 1-9 score, 1kd hog main 3400 carrer high getting +400 SR and top 500 7-3 score guy losing 400 SR in my friend list.

Both dont understand it from any point. And the first guy already lost about the same as the second one ended, it was obvious only from numbers and history that it will happen, so placement system is really failing hard this season.

I dont know what is the reason, placements were definately the most random and worst ones in term of accurate placing. I hope they will fix it for S9.

It's been failing hard since Season 3. S3 warranted a hard reset when they altered support SR gains/loss.

Yet here we are 5 seasons later.
02/15/2018 12:52 PMPosted by go123452
I imagine so.

Without performance based SR. Off meta heroes and teamwork reliant heroes are gonna drop.

Widow is one such hero.

Thats not reason this time, i was examinaning that a LOT because i was first time since S1 placed Diamond with 5kd and 6-4 score which literally shocked me, luckily i climbed back very easily to masters in 2 hours but there was no reason to place me there in the first place, when you cant see lower rank then master in any of my comp seasons.

I think i found a problem, after removing personal perfomance from games after placements above Diamond, personal performance stayed in placements but started to behave totally differently, like it was bugged. Maybe look into that.
My second and last option which i looked into that QP affects it now, before it was just about last comp rating and your performance in placements.

Now it looks like it depends on QP mmr even if you played seasons before, for example imagine if you were 3500 last season and now you “tryharded” QP and tried your best only with your main and then played comp, it would throw you in games slightly above your rank. But if you were just messing around and trying new heores in QP it would throw you in games under your SR and that affected your result.

In both cases its broken and really needs to be looked at.

Any other idea?
02/15/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Ares
My second and last option which i looked into that QP affects it now, before it was just about last comp rating and your performance in placements.

Now it looks like it depends on QP mmr even if you played seasons before, for example imagine if you were 3500 last season and now you “tryharded” QP and tried your best only with your main and then played comp, it would throw you in games slightly above your rank. But if you were just messing around and trying new heores in QP it would throw you in games under your SR and that affected your result.

Any other idea?
That's very odd if true. I hope it's not the case lol.
02/15/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Joe
02/15/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Ares

Any other idea?
That's very odd if true. I hope it's not the case lol.

Iam very curious guy, maybe too much and i looked into a lot of numbers and history of many different players and sadly it is either this or personal performance is just a bit bugged due to removing it elsewhere.

I really hope for improvement :).
02/15/2018 01:11 PMPosted by Ares
<span class="truncated">...</span>That's very odd if true. I hope it's not the case lol.

Iam very curious guy, maybe too much and i looked into a lot of numbers and history of many different players and sadly it is either this or personal performance is just a bit bugged due to removing it elsewhere.

I really hope for improvement :).
Good observation regardless! :-)
02/15/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Joe
And that observation is that a lot of "traditional" Top 500 players have dropped. Now, I just want to clarify, I barely watch Overwatch streams, but I tune into streams sometimes. The few players I've noticed that have dropped to low gm are players like Kephrii, Galeadelade, and probably many others. I've also noticed, people that were lower previous seasons have jumped higher this season. Does this have something to do performance based sr going away?

Many Onetricks dropped due to the new system, wins matter not being good at one nieche or non meta hero.
Problem with that is, that those master gm players that have a 30 winrate make the games for many others in diamond really hard. Some of them are so frustrated that they just throw outright.
I'm not surprised Kephrii dropped out of t500 playing Widow this season, when so many easy mode heroes are meta currently.
Are you still getting surprised by oddities in OW? Guys get used to it, oddities are not going away anytime soon, lol..

One could write a book about oddities and you pretend to be surprised? Nothing can surprise me in OW anymore, NOTHING ;)
Placements were terrible this season.

Last season I was Masters, decayed to 3350, and got placed in Plat after going 6-4 even though I was averaging 25-30 elims per 10 mins. It left me bewildered.

Ive been talking about this forever but i always get downvoted. I have 2 accounts. One is at 3600 SR level and my second one is almost hitting silver. Im a DPS main getting 30-50 elims every game and still losing. Placements and overall rank filter was not good this season. at alllllll
02/15/2018 01:57 PMPosted by Chr5

Ive been talking about this forever but i always get downvoted. I have 2 accounts. One is at 3600 SR level and my second one is almost hitting silver. Im a DPS main getting 30-50 elims every game and still losing. Placements and overall rank filter was not good this season. at alllllll

you are the reason why my games have been at a lot of times, one sided because a gold player who can't get out and only way is to get a new account and gets such a high rank is not deserving of that rank. I don't care if you are hardstuck, there is a HUGE skill difference between gold and masters, a master player can get out of gold EASILY and should be able to reach diamond in one day. There are huge skill differences between master ranked players that its not even funny.
[quote="207602978748"]Thats definately true, saw 1-9 score, 1kd hog main 3400 carrer high getting +400 SR and top 500 7-3 score guy losing 400 SR in my friend list.

Exaggerate more please, like wtf? 1.0 k/d hog main 3400. Blow more smoke out your #$% please.
02/15/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Kryogenek
[quote="207602978748"]Thats definately true, saw 1-9 score, 1kd hog main 3400 carrer high getting +400 SR and top 500 7-3 score guy losing 400 SR in my friend list.

Exaggerate more please, like wtf? 1.0 k/d hog main 3400. Blow more smoke out your #$% please.

Didnt exaggerate anything? Player who played placements with Hog and ended 1-9 with 1kd, so doing terrible got 3800 despite his career high being 3300.

Want also chinese version ?
Seen it’s suggested QP helps form your MMR that equally affects competitive MMR and thus SR. Suddenly “It’s just QP” doesn’t sound so fun anymore, knowing you’re causing yourself to be kept with lower tier teammates and never climb, or you’re subjected to everyone else treating it lightly also affecting your chances at winning and in turn, your MMR, especially if filling roles, playing heroes you don’t want to or worse, not allowing the room to play your respective heroes in optimal conditions. Sounds like a damn good time.
Yea ive been noticing that diamonds in multiple seasons are now 3800s these last couple seasons and high gm top 500 players multiple seasons are also around 3800s. Something is definitely up. The earlier seasons top 500s were good to the point where you had to designate someone to counter them or its gg, now i see a lot of top 500s underperforming vs players in masters area.