Role q is the only way to fix this.

Competitive Discussion
I can’t stand the idea of role que and forced meta but at this point there is zero reason to play comp. the chance of getting a decent game is so small it’s not even funny.
It helped Lols toxicity problem and it would solve it. I don't think they will do it until we have 30 heros
If queueing as a Tank locks you into only playing tank, then role queue strictly enforces a meta. If it doesn't, DPS players would just queue as Tank/Support and get lower queue times, ignoring the whole system.
What's wrong with 2 2 2 I don't understand, it works the best. You get tanks and heals. That's the best way to win and it counters almost anything else, unless there is godly widow or something.
Role queue won't work for Overwatch, as swapping heroes is a key feature and you can't easily define the roles.

The easiest way to solve the problem of imbalanced team compositions is to implement an Looking For Group interface, similar to World of Warcraft.

LFG would make it fast and easy to find a balanced group.
Competitive ladder solo queue is garbage right now, but this isn't the way to fix it.
The problem is not the roles that people play, it's the people you're placed with. The MM was wrong since the beginning. It created a broken ladder and role select won't erase the wrongs.
02/17/2018 06:28 PMPosted by Splenectomy
If queueing as a Tank locks you into only playing tank, then role queue strictly enforces a meta. If it doesn't, DPS players would just queue as Tank/Support and get lower queue times, ignoring the whole system.
Track what people queue for and what they play or some way to see what they play it isn't hard to see when someone isn't playing the role they queued for. There has always been a 2,2,2 meta. From the beginning of Overwatch. Besides blips when certain heroes are OP. Dive is 2,2,2 Orisa hog spam is 2,2,2 Rein zarya is 2,2,2.
Yes, the problem with a strict Role Queue is that it enforces a meta, and dictates it. So your team will always queue as 2-2-2, making it impossible to go quad tank or something else.

Two possibilities i can think of are these, eventho i havent though enough about them to say that they would definately be a good solution:

1. Flex Role
Besides Tank, Dps and Healer role, there is a Flex role, which is a wildcard and the player queuing as Flex will have access to all roles. The matchmaker could match 1 Tank, 1 Dps and 1 Healer together and 3 Flex players.

This would allow (almost) any kind of meta, because (almost) every comp needs one from each role. And it would ensure that every team has at least one player queuing up for a specific role in particular, i.e. the role that that player wants to play (maybe not specifically the hero he wants tho, so needs enough flexibility on the players side).

The problem would be, that the system would need a whole lot of Flex players queuing up. These would, of course, benefit form shorter queue times. But if there are not enough of them (50:50 ratio), queue times would increase by alot.

2. Choose Role + Team Composition
A player first chooses the Role he wants to play and second the Team Composition, i.e. the "meta". The system offers a couple of possible comps, such as 2-2-2, 4-1-1, etc. which the player queuing up can select and he will be matched together with other players who have chosen the same composition.

There is no Flex Role here. Every player chooses a specific role.

The benefit is obviously that every player gets what he wants. And there is no restriction to a forced meta. Of course, some compositions will be less popular and less players will queue up for them. There will probably be only maybe 2 comps popular enough with reasonable queue times. But thats okay, because as the "meta" changes, popularity for a specific comp will shift and the most popular comps will always get good queue times. Who wants to queue for 1-1-4 anyway?
My suggestion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761966120#post-1

To avoid a meta with a role queue, you need both a team comp chooser and a role.
A problem I see with role queue is in the lower tier (bronze-silver), everyone wants to play DPS. So if there was a forced 2-2-2 for team comp, games at lower ranks would struggle to fill teams with healers.
I created an alt account to improve my DPS (I suck at dps and hover around silver-gold), the issue I have on this account is even after locking soldier/mccree/tracer my team will get another 3-4 who lock in DPS as well. I generally will swap to off tank or heals as I still like to win, but that is the issue that lower tiers have. People do not want to heal.
Oh good, I really want Blizzard to force me into a meta.
02/17/2018 06:44 PMPosted by BT160720
What's wrong with 2 2 2 I don't understand, it works the best. You get tanks and heals. That's the best way to win and it counters almost anything else, unless there is godly widow or something.

Why doesn't blizzard just pick the characters for us? Why don't they just play for us also? I can just come back and open the loot boxes.
we need a group finder, not a role queue.
What u also need is if ur in groups of 3 or a full team then there should be no Role Queue also that means no 4 or 5 man party's. This would also encourage people to play group queue if they want to have whatever meta they want. Otherwise 2,2,2 will be the best way to play the role queue with random uncoordinated teams.

Also Symmetra is not a Support unless they make her heal, otherwise she is really a Defensive hero that was put in support only to give the illusion that overwatch had enough support heroes at launch.
02/17/2018 08:20 PMPosted by Cheesecake
Role queue won't work for Overwatch, as swapping heroes is a key feature and you can't easily define the roles.

The easiest way to solve the problem of imbalanced team compositions is to implement an Looking For Group interface, similar to World of Warcraft.

I honestly would take anything at this point. Role Q, Hard Q, Soft Q, LFG, you name it. Just freaking do something, put it on the PTR and see how it fares. Leaving things as it is and keeping silent just makes people who care frustated and people who don't oblivious and continue with their insta lock roles. All fine and dandy, until people who are forced to solo healing/tanking can't take it anymore and stop playing at all.
02/17/2018 08:20 PMPosted by Cheesecake

What if you're antisocial like me and prefer playing alone?
02/19/2018 01:30 AMPosted by KevinAteNine
Play Street Fighter or Tekken. You can never talk a word in 24 hours and still beat scrubs all day. Or play 1v1 Arcade/Deathmatch and see how good you truly are 'alone'. You can't do that in standard OW though, it's a team game. Same with team sports, if you can't play as a team you'll lose to opponents who can. You can't do anything alone. Every kill you do has something to do with your teammates. Be it making you space, healing you, or heck just being meat shields to you. If not you'd be winning 1v6s in which case you can do whatever you want since you're god tier.
02/19/2018 01:30 AMPosted by KevinAteNine

Antisocial and team competitive game are not compatible.

Deathmatch or QM are for them.
It won't work
I can choose support and pick symmetra
Why? Because she's a support hero and you can't argue nor report because I choose one from the support section

No one can tell that person to switch.