Role q is the only way to fix this.

Competitive Discussion
02/19/2018 01:55 AMPosted by Vareona
02/19/2018 01:30 AMPosted by KevinAteNine
What if you're antisocial like me and prefer playing alone?
Play Street Fighter or Tekken. You can never talk a word in 24 hours and still beat scrubs all day. Or play 1v1 Arcade/Deathmatch and see how good you truly are 'alone'. You can't do that in standard OW though, it's a team game. Same with team sports, if you can't play as a team you'll lose to opponents who can. You can't do anything alone. Every kill you do has something to do with your teammates. Be it making you space, healing you, or heck just being meat shields to you. If not you'd be winning 1v6s in which case you can do whatever you want since you're god tier.

I don't know. I rarely use my mic and I've been in diamond the last three seasons. Maybe it's easier since I'm on console, but most games I'm the only one without a mic and still do well. Using a mic isn't the end all be all to winning in solo queue.
So because most of you think you should go 2-2-2 we should be forced to use 2-2-2?

I am rather fond of Quad tank. I have seen the best results with 0-4-2 or 3-1-2 or even 3-2-1. Damage-Tank-Healer. I would enjoy the game much less if I could not do this. Because of many reasons.

What happens if a healer accidentally selects damage and gets insta queued? Right he can't swap and some people will be in essence throwing since they can't do their job.

This has 1 more flaw, Symmetra is classes as support where she is not a healer. This will seriously mess things up. (Although I did run a comp with Sym in 2-2-2 that worked perfectly.)
02/17/2018 08:20 PMPosted by Cheesecake
Role queue won't work for Overwatch, as swapping heroes is a key feature and you can't easily define the roles.

The easiest way to solve the problem of imbalanced team compositions is to implement an Looking For Group interface, similar to World of Warcraft.

LFG would make it fast and easy to find a balanced group.

As there are plenty of different characters in each group, tank/heal/support etc , locking you in one group at the start if you choose that method of getting a game , would still give you plenty of options.

Have role select as an additional option not a straight replacement , and see what happens.
you can do role q but it still wont fix anything. 2-2-2 doesn't HAVE to be the standard. Sometimes 3 dps - 2 tank - 1 healer works. 3 or even 4 tanks also works great especially its a 3rd or 4th round with a minute less or a tiebreaker round.

Best thing currently is to split game into solo q only, where everyone is solo q'ing, and another one for groups so whoever is in groups plays only with groups.
Matchmaking is still garbage for obvious reasons and would be down to try anything at this point.
Role queue won't work for Overwatch, as swapping heroes is a key feature and you can't easily define the roles.

The easiest way to solve the problem of imbalanced team compositions is to implement an Looking For Group interface, similar to World of Warcraft.

Not everyone is a fan of socializing especially in a LFG system. Just let me queue for a role select mode. Make it separate if you have to.
02/19/2018 07:20 AMPosted by BouncyKnight
Sometimes 3 dps - 2 tank - 1 healer works. 3 or even 4 tanks also works great especially its a 3rd or 4th round with a minute less or a tiebreaker round.
These combinations never work according to the 2's meta and role queue. They want 2's every game. Only 2's. There's no need for 3 tanks when both teams are the 2's meta.

Such a boring game knowing what's going to be played every game.
02/19/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Deventh
Just let me queue for a role select mode.

what will it fix? You getting the hero of your choice? Or you getting a meta you want?
02/17/2018 06:28 PMPosted by Splenectomy
If queueing as a Tank locks you into only playing tank, then role queue strictly enforces a meta. If it doesn't, DPS players would just queue as Tank/Support and get lower queue times, ignoring the whole system.

but dont worry, well be able to report players for misusing the system.

(and blizzard still wouldn't do a thing about it besides remove the system outright saying it just wasn't working out and didn't have the intended effect of lowering toxicity or improving match quality)
02/19/2018 02:59 AMPosted by darkjacky
So because most of you think you should go 2-2-2 we should be forced to use 2-2-2?

I am rather fond of Quad tank. I have seen the best results with 0-4-2 or 3-1-2 or even 3-2-1. Damage-Tank-Healer. I would enjoy the game much less if I could not do this. Because of many reasons.

What happens if a healer accidentally selects damage and gets insta queued? Right he can't swap and some people will be in essence throwing since they can't do their job.

This has 1 more flaw, Symmetra is classes as support where she is not a healer. This will seriously mess things up. (Although I did run a comp with Sym in 2-2-2 that worked perfectly.)

In 80% of matches people cannot even start the game because no one wants to Tank/Heal or you dont have DPS or you have 5 supports or 5 tanks.

There is 0 balance on placing people
I think we need a way to say HEY I want to play DPS because I know I can preform well on that role but I can also flex if we want to play 4 tank point dive at some point.

That way the team doesn't get stuck with 4 DPS mains.

This also helps with 4/5 stacks and picking up the right person to complete the team.

You can look at my play time and win precents and compare last season to this one.

I dude a ton of solo Q but mostly duo with healer main ( a very good one) and that let me play a lot more flexable and climb.

I was sitting at a 60+ win rate with a ton of hours.

This season I decided to solo Q a lot of it and it just never works out you can see my hours on things and I spend half if not more than half of my time on other heros.
A role queue that would allow swapping within roles would be absolutely fine.

I get that Blizzard doesn't want to "enforce a meta" (or whatever platitude it is they're trying to feed us), but they have to make a choice:

Do we want more toxicity, or do we want to enforce a meta.

Having a role queue would mitigate A LOT of toxicity (obviously toxicity will always exist).

Blizzard just needs to be honest with themselves and decide whether an enforced meta or having the game be more toxic is better in the long run.
I think a role queue with the ability to pick heros outside of the role to run whatever comps you would like would be my first best idea.

The second is running a role queue with 2 healer slots one dedicated tank slot, one dedicated DPS slot, and 2 flex slots. But that would be a restrictive meta unlike the first idea i suggested, would allow for triple tank or triple DPS but you cant hit that quad tank mark, which to be honest isnt actually all that bad because quad tank actually being the meta is just kinda a showcase that the balance isnt properly done right now, and having someone HAVE to be a dps isnt that bad. (at least in my eyes, its my opinion and it might be different from yours)
02/19/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Anamid
I think a role queue with the ability to pick heros outside of the role to run whatever comps you would like would be my first best idea.

The second is running a role queue with 2 healer slots one dedicated tank slot, one dedicated DPS slot, and 2 flex slots. But that would be a restrictive meta unlike the first idea i suggested, would allow for triple tank or triple DPS but you cant hit that quad tank mark, which to be honest isnt actually all that bad because quad tank actually being the meta is just kinda a showcase that the balance isnt properly done right now, and having someone HAVE to be a dps isnt that bad. (at least in my eyes, its my opinion and it might be different from yours)

I think you can have the same hero selection we have ingame already it just allows people to decide ahead of time what they are going to play so the match is balanced. Sure wait times will be way longer but it sure as hell beats wasting two games.

A role lock out would be very bad.
02/17/2018 08:27 PMPosted by JTMoney
Competitive ladder solo queue is garbage right now, but this isn't the way to fix it.

Exactly, people need to group up or suffer the consequences.

Agreed,

02/17/2018 06:28 PMPosted by Splenectomy
If queueing as a Tank locks you into only playing tank, then role queue strictly enforces a meta. If it doesn't, DPS players would just queue as Tank/Support and get lower queue times, ignoring the whole system.
This is my idea of why it’s a problem. What if a group could make three tank idea work out but couldn’t because of forced role

If they ruin the game with role queue, I’m definitely out.

There are other ways. Like maybe having players unlock heroes for ranked. Or creating a team builder in-game.
02/19/2018 09:49 AMPosted by AtlasTelamon
02/19/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Anamid

I think you can have the same hero selection we have ingame already it just allows people to decide ahead of time what they are going to play so the match is balanced. Sure wait times will be way longer but it sure as hell beats wasting two games.

Yeah i think it would be bad too, i dont want to see the strategies of non 2/2/2 comps go away, which is why my first idea is to queue as 2 tank 2 dps and 2 healer, and when in game you can switch freely, as the intent to play your role is stated but you can switch if necessary or you wanted to run a certain strategy, or a tank want to contest the final moments as a tracer if they wanted to keep OT going you could do all that. Having a BASIC formation for the game on entry would serve us greatly improved quality, without the forced restriction nature.
02/19/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Kapoof
If they ruin the game with role queue, I’m definitely out.

There are other ways. Like maybe having players unlock heroes for ranked. Or creating a team builder in-game.

Team builder wont work due to the games need to swap heros to meet the needs of the team and countering or swapping off a countered hero.
If you LOCKED heros in ranked behind any sort of wall, be it timewalled paywalled or any other kind of wall, thats MUCH more restrictive than the idea of a soft role queue.

Im sorry but that is actually a TERRIBLE idea.
02/19/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Anamid
02/19/2018 09:49 AMPosted by AtlasTelamon

Yeah i think it would be bad too, i dont want to see the strategies of non 2/2/2 comps go away, which is why my first idea is to queue as 2 tank 2 dps and 2 healer, and when in game you can switch freely, as the intent to play your role is stated but you can switch if necessary or you wanted to run a certain strategy, or a tank want to contest the final moments as a tracer if they wanted to keep OT going you could do all that. Having a BASIC formation for the game on entry would serve us greatly improved quality, without the forced restriction nature.

Truth.

This is what needs to happen.
Role queue would ruin the game. You know this immature player base would throw a fit any time someone switched out of their role.

Also people would just figure out which class has the shortest queue time, and try to take advantage of that.

Also, roles are blurry. D.VA is closer to dps than a tank, and what’s Sym? She one of the two support? Does Blizzard even want to say there HAS to be two support?
Instead of an active role-select, do a passive one that is run by an algorithm. Let's say you main supports, the system will then match you as if you selected support as a role. The system could match based on a 2-2-2 meta, but it shouldn't actually force the meta. However, you would see more 2-2-2 because you will probably be more likely to pick a support in this scenario.

For those who want to change their role preference, they could also have the ability to reset the preference, in which the system forgets who they normally select and allows the player to enter into a new role.

That way, people can't game the system (if they attempt to "main" a role for shorter queue times just so they can play a different role, they would eventually be seen as a main for the role they actually play).