Role q is the only way to fix this.

Competitive Discussion
02/19/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Kapoof
Role queue would ruin the game. You know this immature player base would throw a fit any time someone switched out of their role.

Also people would just figure out which class has the shortest queue time, and try to take advantage of that.

Also, roles are blurry. D.VA is closer to dps than a tank, and what’s Sym? She one of the two support? Does Blizzard even want to say there HAS to be two support?

But the thing is, D.va DOES function as a tank, creating space by being an unignorable threat. And Sym is a support and people would for the most part pick her only in applicable situations. even a DPS could pick up sym as a damage class for certain comps they wanted to try and run.

And as for abusing queue times by picking healer and playing a DPS hero, of course the report system would have a category for JUST THAT!

trying to discredit the idea by saying THAT WONT WORK. Yeah it wont IF WE ADD ABSOLUTELY 0 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR IT TO FUNCTION.

but if we did which also seems like the only sensible option and trust me the smarties over at blizzard have already thought that over too most likely. Which is why if it did drop into the game there would be functions for it to work in a way that doesnt let people abuse the system to destroy other players games.

Now I know you have read my post. I didnt feel the need to 100% completely flesh it out because i didnt think that the people who read it would be absolutely retarded. But just for you and your concerns here you are! Thetotallyobviousifyouthinkaboutitaccord!
if MMOs can have it, why not FPS?

i mean i prefer a role Q vs the last dps main filling the role of healer because no1 else would do it
Seriously, there are a lot of things that they can try before they force people in to roles.

The fact that people even want a role queue means this game, with 26 diverse heroes, has failed in other ways.

First try making more than half the heroes viable in comp.
02/19/2018 10:37 AMPosted by iMuteChat

i mean i prefer a role Q vs the last dps main filling the role of healer because no1 else would do it

And I’ve sat there for 45 minutes waiting for a tank so I can finish a raid in WoW. The whole time I’m thinking “screw these roles, the heroes should be more diverse. Let a Warlock tank if needed”

And same for OW. You can out dps the dps as DVA. Sym is.... support or defense? Are defense all dps? Or can Mei off tank? Which MAP is it?

I just think role queue is the opposite of what Overwatch is about. I think Jeff and the team take pride in the idea that you can play who you want. That you should be switching to counter, even swapping roles at times.

That’s how it should be, and there are other ways to make the team building experience better. Not forcing people to chose before the match is even found.
Passive is better than active. It allows people to still chose what they want to play: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761916561
All the one tricks are against this lol
one idea that comes to mind is a "ready up" type of feature, where the game starts and players need to click a "ready up" type of button within the first 30 seconds or so or the match gets cancelled and nobody gets penalized.

This would give players enough time to figure out if the team/comp/players will play well or not. Of course this can still mean people will troll by pretending they will play something or the other and then switch but still could help out the issue of being put in a match will all tanks/dps and no healers etc. Just an idea not perfect

another feature is a "Credit feature" I saw on a moba game for mobile phones. It gives you a score and if you keep disconnecting, getting reported etc it lowers your score and after a certain threshold you cant play any comp/ranked games until the score is brought up by playing regular games and not disconnecting.

Bottom line best suggestion (which I personally dont like) is to queue up with a group. This way you can have 1 dedicated healer and 2nd backup healer that can also go sym/dps/tank if needed.
02/17/2018 06:44 PMPosted by BT160720
What's wrong with 2 2 2 I don't understand, it works the best. You get tanks and heals. That's the best way to win and it counters almost anything else, unless there is godly widow or something.

For some maps. Attack on horizon with 4 tanks, Lucio + Moira is crazy good.

Having the flexibility to do so is important.
02/19/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Anamid
02/19/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Kapoof
Role queue would ruin the game. You know this immature player base would throw a fit any time someone switched out of their role.

Also people would just figure out which class has the shortest queue time, and try to take advantage of that.

Also, roles are blurry. D.VA is closer to dps than a tank, and what’s Sym? She one of the two support? Does Blizzard even want to say there HAS to be two support?

But the thing is, D.va DOES function as a tank, creating space by being an unignorable threat. And Sym is a support and people would for the most part pick her only in applicable situations. even a DPS could pick up sym as a damage class for certain comps they wanted to try and run.

And as for abusing queue times by picking healer and playing a DPS hero, of course the report system would have a category for JUST THAT!

trying to discredit the idea by saying THAT WONT WORK. Yeah it wont IF WE ADD ABSOLUTELY 0 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR IT TO FUNCTION.

but if we did which also seems like the only sensible option and trust me the smarties over at blizzard have already thought that over too most likely. Which is why if it did drop into the game there would be functions for it to work in a way that doesnt let people abuse the system to destroy other players games.

Now I know you have read my post. I didnt feel the need to 100% completely flesh it out because i didnt think that the people who read it would be absolutely retarded. But just for you and your concerns here you are! Thetotallyobviousifyouthinkaboutitaccord!

thanks for the hijack and arguing this properly! You rock my dude.

No one is asking for thing to be locked down just that we can intelligently pick.
02/19/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Kapoof
Seriously, there are a lot of things that they can try before they force people in to roles.

The fact that people even want a role queue means this game, with 26 diverse heroes, has failed in other ways.

First try making more than half the heroes viable in comp.

How does that fix the quality of the games?
Will it stop people getting match with 5 support mains or 5 tanks mains or 3 of the same one trick or people that have to get slotted into jobs oddly in a role they CANNOT PLAY at the level they are in?

02/19/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Kapoof
02/19/2018 10:37 AMPosted by iMuteChat

And I’ve sat there for 45 minutes waiting for a tank so I can finish a raid in WoW. The whole time I’m thinking “screw these roles, the heroes should be more diverse. Let a Warlock tank if needed”

And same for OW. You can out dps the dps as DVA. Sym is.... support or defense? Are defense all dps? Or can Mei off tank? Which MAP is it?

I just think role queue is the opposite of what Overwatch is about. I think Jeff and the team take pride in the idea that you can play who you want. That you should be switching to counter, even swapping roles at times.

That’s how it should be, and there are other ways to make the team building experience better. Not forcing people to chose before the match is even found.

So you replied to my comment, about having an intended role displayed, but not limited to that role to react in any way the game needs, and if people don't want to do that in say a solo Q matchmade game you still have a basic team comp to work with. and this line in particular is interesting.
"I think Jeff and the team take pride in the idea that you can play who you want."
But right now, you cant. Most of the time you get forced off your role to play what the team needs and you DO NOT GET TO PLAY WHO YOU WANT. Or in many cases even the role you want. And as a community there is no way WE can fix that because its a fact that people are just going to play what they want to play, and the most stubborn player wins while the other suffers and the quality of the game overall suffers because the game is already tense and abit more toxic than if everyone fit in nicely to a game.

And when you say "You can out dps the dps as DVA". No. Shes a DPS in the same way that Moira is a DPS. They can FORCE the damage out, but lets visualise it as a tap, yknow, the ones you generally find on a sink. D.va and Moira are a dripping tap, it gets there just because of their playstyle and the fact that they can force a bit of damage out. Where as an ACTUAL dps, the tap gets turned on, and it TORRENTS out damage. That's what an actual dps does. they do A LOT more damage when used effectively than a D.va can output.
What you are saying a Dva can our dps the dps is just 100% Untrue especially when you factor in the fact that Dva has to sacrifice positioning that an ACTUAL dps wouldn't have to in order to pump out that damage.

And if you don't like queue times, you could try playing tanks instead because there's no way in hell that a MOBAFPS is going to have a DPS class diversified to fill the role of a tank, that's just nuts.

Basically stating the intent to play a certain role and not being stuck to it means you can use that system to accomodate to ANY team compositions your team is willing to run, if not the game still has a good chance of working out, and you can also use metastrats for each different map. Its non restrictive.

You are going to need a better argument, and onward to stop discrediting the answers to all of your issues you have already been given and continue crying about them like they never existed, especially when it was on a post that you replied to. You saw it you know it and you know the answer fixed your concern so shut up about it already. Unless you have further different concerns then you are pretty much done posting here. But don't re-hash the old stuff you already went over like no one gave you a solid foolproof answer to them that's basically just saying "SCREW LOGIC AND SCREW ROLE QUEUE WAHH".
02/19/2018 12:02 PMPosted by AtlasTelamon
[quote="207602483247"]

thanks for the hijack and arguing this properly! You rock my dude.

No one is asking for thing to be locked down just that we can intelligently pick.

Thanks man you too, intelligent brainstorming is what the forums "should" be for :D

But even then, Im not exactly very nice and I can be kind of an "Expletive" and take things much too far, probably like I am doing with this Kapoof dude, i guess I'm alittle mad that we have a guy in here protesting it with no real argument other than "I DONT LIKE IT CHANGE SCARES ME". But im doing my best to give it a proper argument without being too much of an "Expletive" >.<
02/19/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Anamid
Most of the time you get forced off your role to play what the team needs and you DO NOT GET TO PLAY WHO YOU WANT. Or in many cases even the role you want. And as a community there is no way WE can fix that because its a fact that people are just going to play what they want to play, and the most stubborn player wins

Someone thinks that their hero choice is good for the team.
Another guy thinks that Someone is an idiot for picking that hero.

If both what they believe were true, it isn't being stubborn.
02/19/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Audaylon
02/19/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Anamid
Most of the time you get forced off your role to play what the team needs and you DO NOT GET TO PLAY WHO YOU WANT. Or in many cases even the role you want. And as a community there is no way WE can fix that because its a fact that people are just going to play what they want to play, and the most stubborn player wins

Thats out of context. What i'm saying is that 4 people want to play DPS. But some people get forced onto another role they are uncomfortable with at that rank, and it wasn't what they WANTED to play themselves. But all 4 of those people are right. Just the matchmaker forces them to do something they don't want to or in some cases are incapable of doing properly. And simply saying "Learn more heroes!" Isn't going to work here because as stated, people will play what they want to play regardless of circumstance because that's what they got on to do.

Thats an irrefutable fact of overwatch and the matchmaker isn't accommodating for it in its current state and that causes many games to be lost before they begin.

the stubbornness is about the other player wanting the role more than the other guy wants to win, while the stubborn player cares less about winning than the other guy who caved to swap to another role. I hope you understand what I meant now, don't think i can explain it any better than that.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Thats out of context. What i'm saying is that 4 people want to play DPS. But some people get forced onto another role they are uncomfortable with at that rank, and it wasn't what they WANTED to play themselves. But all 4 of those people are right. Just the matchmaker forces them to do something they don't want to or in some cases are incapable of doing properly. And simply saying "Learn more heroes!" Isn't going to work here because as stated, people will play what they want to play regardless of circumstance because that's what they got on to do.

Thats an irrefutable fact of overwatch and the matchmaker isn't accommodating for it in its current state and that causes many games to be lost before they begin.

the stubbornness is about the other player wanting the role more than the other guy wants to win, while the stubborn player cares less about winning than the other guy who caved to swap to another role. I hope you understand what I meant now, don't think i can explain it any better than that.

The important thing about all of this is that most of us who want this kind of system want it because we see no other way to make the situation better. Honestly if there was a better option or leaving it be was an option we would be all over it.

PBSR was so nice because I could out preform those who were not doing the job and still do pretty well. Without it building a team comp is the main objective that forces me to play heros that I can't contribute as much with.

My DPS play is insane, my tank play is avarage.
02/19/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Anamid
02/19/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Audaylon

side note Anamid you should add me on PC, I am starting to play there more and would love to play with you. you seem to have a very level view of the game.