Why cant heros have 4 abilities and an ult.

General Discussion
Was just wondering why 3 abilities(4 if you count the ult) is the max blizzard decided to use for heros

Why not let heros have another ability.
I'm kinda interested in them making a hero that doesn't have an ult in exchange for another ability.
some heroes have just 2 and ult
Or even better, one character's ult grants completely new abilities for 8 seconds.
I guess the closest is genji. Hes the Kirby of Overwatch after all. can deflect abilities and they become his
02/20/2018 01:18 AMPosted by Chumlee
Was just wondering why 3 abilities(4 if you count the ult) is the max blizzard decided to use for heros

Why not let heros have another ability.

Well the more complicated a kit gets the harder it is to balance, and to keep track of. I think there might be some comic value in a character that uses every key on your KB other than wasd and space however, but that's just me.
if you think about it a little. you do have more then 4 skills with most heros. you have your LM, RM, E, and melee as well as Q for pc gamers

and sometimes even if thy dont have a RM skill it still sometimes does something.

so in reality you do have 4 skills but back on point of topic yea it would be nice to have 4 real skills.
Simplicity. Overwatch is an appealing game because you're not overwhelmed with too many mechanics and abilities. Every hero feels fairly consistent among each other, so it's easy to pick up other heroes when needed. If your team needs a D.va but you've only ever played Soldier 76, you can easily jump into her kit without feeling like it's a totally different game.
Because unneeded complexity is something you want to avoid in game design.

More abilities - More information the player is burdened with.
More abilities - The harder heroes are to balance.
More abilities - More likely individual abilities become weaker and less strategically significant. Which is why some heroes only have two instead of three, since their two abilities are already very powerful as is.
and you would bind this fourth ability to... what key?
While you are at that, also try thinking why humans don't have 6 fingers
Maybe because of console Players?