Your gold medals don't mean anything

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Medals are not an accurate display of contribution. Heroes like D.Va/Moira often end up with gold elims through chip damage. Hell, it's common for Moira to have 3 golds without even trying that hard. People need to stop referring to medals when flaming teammates or making excuses for not switching.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm not saying the medal system as a whole is inaccurate. It can definitely provide some vague insight. Obviously you want gold healing playing a healer and gold damage as offense. But saying things like "I have x gold medals but we're still losing so I can't carry this team" or "I have x gold elims as (non-offense role) offense you suck" is both a humble brag and blame deflection all rolled into one pointless complaint and it's all too common.
They are not accurate but can be an indicator on what's up. They mean something.
You can see if you should switch things up or not.
02/14/2018 08:08 AMPosted by Reiizm
Medals are not an accurate display of contribution. Heroes like D.Va/Moira often end up with gold elims through chip damage. Hell, it's common for Moira to have 3 golds without even trying that hard. People need to stop referring to medals when flaming teammates or making excuses for not switching.

How about some support for a classic (for OW modified) scoreboard, like in every other shooter that was ever made?

So we can see some more useful stuff than just teammates ultimates when pressing TAB
Thank you. It needs to be known that medals are vague private scoring system that fails to compare player performance because it fails to showcase other players performance in comparison to their own. Meaning we never see the gaps we never see our faults and players will continue blindly thinkn. That nothing is wrong with their gameplay. Which in truth only hinders their improvement as a asic scoring system is a tool used for measuring player performances and encourages improvement ingame.

Hell I can outright lie and claim I have gold everything as I one trick just to "justify" a selfish pick. When in reality its just an excuse since I don't know how anyone scored compared to my own scores which leave me guessing blindly.
02/14/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Cloud
They are not accurate but can be an indicator on what's up. They mean something.

They really can't, the only thing they indicate is if someone is stupid enough to bring them up.

Nahh dude, often means nothing. Just had a game where I went 16-3, gold elims and dmg but still lost 0-3 on CTF. We lost coz I was hanzo and was just killing people. Rather than grouping up and do something useful
If you have 4 golds but your team is still losing then your hero pick might not be the right one despite doing well. The problem isn't always you but it's still very likely to be you.
02/14/2018 08:13 AMPosted by Kry

They really can't, the only thing they indicate is if someone is stupid enough to bring them up.

Let's say we're 5 minutes into the game and I have gold dmg as Widow while we have a Soldier/Genji/Junkrat in our team. What does that say?
It means the Genji is not performing well and he should maybe switch to something else where he has more time to do dmg. There are many other examples but I think you get my point.
They absolutely mean something. If I am Sombra and I have gold elims, gold objective elims, and possibly gold objective time dont you DARE have the audacity to say I am not doing my job or I need to switch.
Sorry but if I'm playing moira and I have 5 gold medals? Which is all of them by the way, that means my DPS is not doing enough damage if they are being out DPS'd by moira. If I'm also working with a second healer as well and still pushing gold healing on top of that and objective time and kills? Obviously I'm spending more time where I need to be as well. My team needs to step up and get something done at that point. I can't do it all for them.
If dva and moira have golds.. Then dps of that team is bad.. Gold kills obviously indicate that the player is doing the most in that team than others
02/14/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Avian
If you have 4 golds but your team is still losing then your hero pick might not be the right one despite doing well. The problem isn't always you but it's still very likely to be you.

That makes zero sense. If I have 4 golds but my team is still losing what makes you think the person with 4 golds is the weak link? What about the other dps who cant maintain golds? Or the healers who arent performing well enough so we keep dying, or the tanks who arent tanking enough?

What about the 5 other picks who DONT have golds....where do they factor in?

Not really. If you have, say, a Winston, Dva, and Moira on your team, first off that's a horrible tank/heal duo, but second you can't tell them that, because they're gonna have all the medals because they chip damage everyone.
if I have gold damage as lucio after the 1st round then the dps aren't doing their jobs

if I have gold healing as soldier after the 1st round the healers aren't doing their jobs

but if I have gold damage as mccree after the first round, that doesn't mean that I'm not the problem. I could be only targeting tanks and failing to secure kills, and nobody is beating me in damage because nobody should be dealing as much damage.
02/14/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Cloud
02/14/2018 08:13 AMPosted by Kry

Let's say we're 5 minutes into the game and I have gold dmg as Widow while we have a Soldier/Genji/Junkrat in our team. What does that say?
It means the Genji is not performing well and he should maybe switch to something else where he has more time to do dmg. There are many other examples but I think you get my point.

If you can't tell that Genji isn't a good pick with 4 other dps without looking at medals first, that kind of proves my point. What do you expect Genji to do without any tanks creating any space.
They can show what's lacking though if you have gold damage on Rein for example you are either playing him very very wrong or your dps are not doing their job, if you have gold objective time and kills on Tracer there is something wrong with the tanks and/or frontline dps, if you have hold healing on S76 there is something wrong with your supports.

It's not always about the player being bad or good though that's the thing people miss, it could be the supports are constantly battling a Genji or tanks a Reaper or your dps spend the entire match battling a Pharah Mercy combo.
Eh...I agree to an extent.

Some characters have difficulty getting Gold Elims. I main Doomfist and it's NOT often that I will get such stats. Neither does ChipSa...It's just how the character works. You don't have any abilities to spam or even a primary fire that you can shoot in a direction.

Any DPS without an offensive ultimate or a good one is another good example. I find that Whenever I play Genji, even though I suck with Genji I can EASILY get Gold elims after a Dragonblade. Or as Soldier I can get em with Tact Visor.
02/14/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Kry
02/14/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Cloud

If you can't tell that Genji isn't a good pick with 4 other dps without looking at medals first, that kind of proves my point. What do you expect Genji to do without any tanks creating any space.

I meant either of those DPS as example, not all of them together in one team.
They're all heroes that have a potentional to deal a lot of dmg.
If Roadhog has gold healing, something's wrong.
Well, if I'm a McCree or a Soldier or [insert DPS here] and I'm below everyone else on damage (no bronze/silver/gold in tab menu), it's an indicator that you most likely sould be doing more DPS. You should be at least on par with other damage dealers. If nobody has DPS medals, the team definitely needs more damage output.

Many reasons can lead to this:
1- Maybe you are dying too often -> is your positionning good? Is your healer aware of what's going on? Are you recklessly rushing into the other team?
2- Maybe your aim is off -> get better aim
3- There's a Pharah out there and no counter that annihilates your team -> need a counter to avoid annihilation
4- Struggling to hold an objective -> see #1, #2 and #3

So yeah a medal by itself is not enough to appreciate one's true performance but it's a pretty damn good indicator to know if you're doing it good or wrong.

A couple days ago, I got a gold healing done medal as soldier because our healer was pretty much clueless so I had to run to my team and drop the aid station whenever I could. While I'm doing this I'm not fully DPSing so the other team has less pressure which gives them more options. It's a chain reaction...