If You Want To Try A New Character...

Competitive Discussion
Do it outside of comp. To join a game with 11 other players to "see if Genji is a good fit" is asinine. To throw a game and then repeatedly say crap like "Idc" and "You guys need to chill, this is a game." when you've played Genji for 8 minutes your entire competitive career and can't live for 30 seconds or even understand the basics of a team composition.

It's extra worse if you duo with someone else who can't play their role either.

I just got out of a game with a Genji / Widow duo who absolutely refused to play with their team. He died 4 times in 2 minutes, then started with the "Idc, this is a game. Get over it. I'm not switching." I am honestly at a loss for words at the state of this community at the moment.
I report them :/
Except outside of competitive, people don't try to make good comps which makes it hard for people to practice other heroes unless they play in a 3-stack or more. Although I agree it's annoying when that happens, the "it's quick play" mentality contributes to this.
While that last paragraph is tragic when it happens, any practice that happens outside of comp isnt gonna be great practice. You can't compare playing against randos in quickplay to playing against people actively trying to win and who are at or around the same skill level as you. The only good practice you would be able to get outside of comp would be in a custom game with several players of similar skill level.
You can always check if they've played them on QP, anyway...

02/15/2018 01:47 PMPosted by CreamGod
I report them :/

You can't report someone for picking a character you don't like unless they purposely use that character to thwart the team. I know it sucks, we have had all those "I want to practice" people on our comp teams that make you wanna pull your hair out--if they are playing the game we can't door anything about it. Don't know if it falls under poor teamwork though.
Had that the other day with a Doomfist player. Just died over and over again.

Like I get that comp is a lot different to QP, and that you play certain characters differently in the competitive scene. But if you decide to try something new, pls swap if it isn't working out.
Competitive isn't the arena to 'try characters out'.

We have: Training, Arcade, Quickplay and unlimited Custom modes for that.

How could you expect to leverage the value of a character you've never/barely ever played in a competitive setting when it's likely you barely know the mechanics or flow of said character? And why do you think it's ok to learn (ruining the experience of 11 and) holding the advancement of 5 other players hostage?

Also, how is it fine to defend people actively throwing your comp games by not doing their due dilligence to contribute to the team? It's one thing if you play a character a lot and you're terrible, it's something completely else to not play them, be terrible, and then refuse to adjust.
the fact that this isnt a reportable offense is outragous. it makes me so mad that purpously underperforming and not trying doesnt count as throwing. ive lost 150 sr the last 3 days and many of the games i was forced to heal or tank away from my mains. even though im not comfertable on heals and tank tried my hardest and then got ridiculed for "trying" and "doing callouts".
ive never seen a dps main purposly try a different class but ive seen many play the harder ones(doomfist widow)
ive seen many support and tank mains play some heavy aim requiring hero because they are "tired of bad dps".
theres nothing to fix the issue of trying new characters except making reports or maybe a team vote feature
Nearly 200 hours of QP Pharah here, but still struggling in low silver.

QP isn't much practice...
02/15/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Topher
the fact that this isnt a reportable offense is outragous. it makes me so mad that purpously underperforming and not trying doesnt count as throwing. ive lost 150 sr the last 3 days and many of the games i was forced to heal or tank away from my mains. even though im not comfertable on heals and tank tried my hardest and then got ridiculed for "trying" and "doing callouts".
ive never seen a dps main purposly try a different class but ive seen many play the harder ones(doomfist widow)
ive seen many support and tank mains play some heavy aim requiring hero because they are "tired of bad dps".
theres nothing to fix the issue of trying new characters except making reports or maybe a team vote feature

100% In agreement.
The best way do practice new characters is to go in FFA deathmatch, get the mechanics of the character locked down first.
Also in FFA when you start being able to 2vs1 or even 3vs1 people on a consistent basis, that's when you're ready to roll out in comp.
If you want players to not choose heroes they have little to know experience with, than accept not having all the roles you want when you want them.

In other words: If no one can play one of the heroes/role you "need" you would have to deal with that. After all, you don't want them playing a hero they don't know. Practicing outside of competitive is more than likely going to be a poor experience. So it is unwise to oversight that you are locking players out of a better way to learn a hero.
02/16/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Eupathia
Practicing outside of competitive is more than likely going to be a poor experience. So it is unwise to oversight that you are locking players out of a better way to learn a hero.

Whole-heartedly disagree.

Competitive is just that, Competitive. I wouldn't put my sister in a medal soccer league because she doesn't know how to play soccer. She may know the fundamentals of the sport, but she can't fill the role. Therefore, she stays off the team until she has some practice.

The idea that practicing a character outside of comp isn't the "same thing" is ridiculous. If you're still learning the spells and abilities, then you have no place dragging the experience of 11 other players because YOU want to try something new on a whim. It's incredibly selfish.
Wait a minute.

It's half-term this week.

See what I did there?
Now we know the real reason why "smurfs ruin competitive"

It's because they have no time on any hero...
The OP hates this.
02/16/2018 08:29 AMPosted by Audaylon

The OP hates this.

Huh? Are smurfs "trying a new character and die 4 times in 2 minutes"? If they are, then they're terrible smurfs.
02/16/2018 09:21 AMPosted by pr0l1fic
02/16/2018 08:29 AMPosted by Audaylon

The OP hates this.

Huh? Are smurfs "trying a new character and die 4 times in 2 minutes"? If they are, then they're terrible smurfs.

In order to maintain a Smurf account you have to throw games otherwise you will rise to your true rank and if they do rise they are no longer smurfing.
Same could be said for those who cry and !@#$% about people not playing the character they demand. "We need a Mercy, shes no skill" Uh she does require some skill buddy but if you want a ^-*! mercy. Sure. Someone will deliver you idiot child.
02/16/2018 08:01 AMPosted by pr0l1fic

The idea that practicing a character outside of comp isn't the "same thing" is ridiculous. If you're still learning the spells and abilities, then you have no place dragging the experience of 11 other players because YOU want to try something new on a whim. It's incredibly selfish.

You learn better through failure sometimes more than you do with winning. QP is a place to practice certain mechanics of the character but to truly understand the character and its flaws in certain comps, the counters etc, you need an environment that punishes you for those mistakes. You will find that in comp more than in QP. Thats how you get better sometimes it frustrates people on the same team. It will. I guarantee you though when you play with them again in the future after they have been practicing on that/those heroes or see them in the higher ranks, you are going to be happy they are on your team and not the enemies.