If You Want To Try A New Character...

Competitive Discussion
02/16/2018 08:01 AMPosted by pr0l1fic
02/16/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Eupathia
Practicing outside of competitive is more than likely going to be a poor experience. So it is unwise to oversight that you are locking players out of a better way to learn a hero.

Whole-heartedly disagree.

Competitive is just that, Competitive. I wouldn't put my sister in a medal soccer league because she doesn't know how to play soccer. She may know the fundamentals of the sport, but she can't fill the role. Therefore, she stays off the team until she has some practice.

The idea that practicing a character outside of comp isn't the "same thing" is ridiculous. If you're still learning the spells and abilities, then you have no place dragging the experience of 11 other players because YOU want to try something new on a whim. It's incredibly selfish.

Then your sister just doesn't play competitive soccer. Kicking a ball against a wall or back and forth with her you isn't "good" practice. Neither is researching the sport going to make her competent enough to play. Incorporating those two ways will likely just leave her over thinking her movements while unable to make an impact. And of course, she wouldn't have unlimited opportunities to get it right (human nature, limited patience, other ppl to consider etc.). Fortunately for many, Overwatch lets you join "the team" even if your experience is lacking.

Unlike school soccer, Overwatch doesn't guide you on how to play the game properly outside of the tutorial. You are more than likely going to learn bad habits and gather bad information in Quickplay and Arcade then in competitive. Note: Its worse for arcade and quickplay since the normal reason to play those modes is to only have fun. Not to strive to play optimally and enjoyment.

Ever heard of heuristics? Well the best way to have this help you is to plunge in head first and see where it takes you. The heuristics of Quickplay and Competitive are at least different enough to be notable. Regardless, it looks like some of your comps will be without a Healer, Tank or DPS. After all, "no one should play hero they do not know". Right?

Overwatch needs to make a mode that players take seriously that is not in a competitive environment. A mode where you earn rewards for improving your abilities as a player and a team player.
02/15/2018 02:43 PMPosted by siennarena

You can't report someone for picking a character you don't like unless they purposely use that character to thwart the team. I know it sucks, we have had all those "I want to practice" people on our comp teams that make you wanna pull your hair out--if they are playing the game we can't door anything about it. Don't know if it falls under poor teamwork though.

You can.

It's a little flimsy on the context of them having only 8m of playtime under the character, but you absolutely can with that context and the fact they refused to cooperate with the team, that is throwing.
02/17/2018 11:07 AMPosted by KulstorEbrou
02/15/2018 02:43 PMPosted by siennarena

You can't report someone for picking a character you don't like unless they purposely use that character to thwart the team. I know it sucks, we have had all those "I want to practice" people on our comp teams that make you wanna pull your hair out--if they are playing the game we can't door anything about it. Don't know if it falls under poor teamwork though.

You can.

It's a little flimsy on the context of them having only 8m of playtime under the character, but you absolutely can with that context and the fact they refused to cooperate with the team, that is throwing.

Not cooperating with the team entails actively doing things that hurt your team. When in the report menu itself it says you cannot report someone for which hero they pick. That means YOU CANNOT REPORT SOMEONE FOR WHICH HERO THEY PICK. Stop calling being unskilled throwing. It's not. If you are reporting these people when they are trying their best, just on a hero you don't like or think they can't play is a false report and you should be the one in trouble for harassing these innocent people with your false reports.

You are the one throwing if instead of playing the game you see a guys comp stats and see he's not playing a character he usually plays, so you spend the entire game analyzing them rather then playing.

Be honest with me, since you want people to play quickplay first. How many of you ACTUALLY look at people's quickplay time before you start flaming or analyzing these people? If they are bad they will fall out of your rank until they learn the character so stop crying and play.
02/17/2018 11:07 AMPosted by KulstorEbrou

You can.

I don't see "refusing to do what your team says" under any report categories.

And it's not a "little" flimy; it is straight up a false report. Blizzard has clearly, repeatedly, and unconditionally stated you cannot report for hero choice alone, period.

Quote an official post or rule that says otherwise, because right now you are literally promoting griefing, which is reportable.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20760716149#post-10

Players who inaccurately submit player reports in an attempt to punish someone’s hero choice are considered to be harassing or griefing their fellow player
I don't buy this argument that QP isn't good enough to practice a new hero.

Sure, the comps aren't perfect, and it's not the real ranked experience, but you can put 5-6 hours in and get a better feel for the nuances of a new hero. I actually think you might need closer to 10 hours.

Then bring it to ranked.

People ask for Role Queue. I'm against that.

I'm totally for unlocking heroes for Comp by putting in a certain amount of time. And you can't come to comp until you have three heroes unlocked. Matchmaking might even be able to take that in to account somehow.
You are not going to control someone else...

They are not throwing, they are just playing bad. If they don't get off a hero when you say swap- THEY DO NOT HAVE TO. You are not their boss or Blizzard. Blizzard already spoke on this.

Its not up to you when they play comp or who... you need to finally understand and comprehend that.

It is also not reportable - and if you do- it is YOU in the wrong.
02/15/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Austin
Except outside of competitive, people don't try to make good comps which makes it hard for people to practice other heroes unless they play in a 3-stack or more. Although I agree it's annoying when that happens, the "it's quick play" mentality contributes to this.
True, but you can at least learn the character in qp or various arcade modes well enough before taking to comp.
02/18/2018 12:01 AMPosted by MisAdventure
You are not going to control someone else...

They are not throwing, they are just playing bad. If they don't get off a hero when you say swap- THEY DO NOT HAVE TO. You are not their boss or Blizzard. Blizzard already spoke on this.

Its not up to you when they play comp or who... you need to finally understand and comprehend that.

It is also not reportable - and if you do- it is YOU in the wrong.

Then Blizzard needs to make it harder to enter comp. Players that are prepared for a faster pace experience with new twists being developed in matches are being "locked" out of that experience.

No matter the rationalization, having players that do not understand the hero well enough for the rank their in, skews the results of the ranking system. It's a team game, so the premise is that everyone has the knowledge and mechanical skill to perform well on a similar level as everyone else on the team.

When you have Rein's rushing into a mob of opponents, being saved (or not) but still continue to fight the horde despite it, this is can show the player'a lack of knowledge to play Reinhardt (all it can take is a loss Rein to lose a point or lose a game). On the flip side, when you have a Widowmaker sniping players effortlessly, this shows the player is to good for the rank that they are in.

Yes, their are other elements that decide whether a fight will be won or loss. However, these players that show high and low skill showmanship can make and break games that should not be apart of the ranking experience. Problems that should not need to be overcome that prevent a player from getting to a "better" rank where they can eventually learn to deal with those problems. Having a great Widowmaker on your team (or DPS in general) that is just as good as the others would make a world of difference.

Let's face it, players are not going to get quicker unless their opponents enforce a need for it. They are not going to keep their skill level level sharp if they are not being challenged and are losing due to events largely out of their "control". To me, players are missing out on the complete package if they are not being exposed to higher ranks. Ranks that hold players that do more than just have the ability to aim well. Behavior you never had to deal with before at lower ranks. They are the "best" places to get more exposed to what makes Overwatch great.

So enough with the rationalizations, the matchmaking systems needs to prevent under-performing or over-performing players from joining matches in their rank. At the very least it should occur for the experience in a season. Furthermore, perhaps there should only be a difference of 499 SR points between Bronze and Silver. What this means is you can actually rank out of the ranking system. You have to make up the loss SR points in Quickplay.

So yes, I do agree players should not "practice" in Competitive mode but if and only if the standards of Bronze and Quickplay are "raised". Arcade would take Quickplays current purpose. And frankly, having both Arcade and Quickplay in their current form, is "a bit" redundant.