Why Do Most Torb Players Not Know How to Play Him

General Discussion
02/17/2018 08:55 PMPosted by Matthew
I watched a torb video once and just put my turrets in not stupid spots. I'm not trying to be good, I'm trying to not be bad

Yeah. Honestly looking up any guide Torb and Sym have the largest guides due to the complexity of their building potential.

Key locations, angles of fire, building maintenance, area awareness, time management, and much more play a role in using their abilities to max potential.

Turents and sentries only half the heros power but have so much potentialad possibilities that guides feature a second chapter based on these abilities alone.

I come from a military background so angles of fire and cover for my turrent is just second nature to me but half the time when watching an ally Torb I have to liteally speak up and say "Your turrent's blindsided man." Or "Yo my brother! Thats a bad spot for your turrent."
02/17/2018 08:59 PMPosted by Arcadius
02/17/2018 08:32 PMPosted by Remedyheart

Look at this predictable piece of slag! Look buddy any real Torb main would wipe the floor clean with you. They would outsnipe your widow punish your lucio for running in the middle of a fight and nullify half your Mccree's shots because armor packs.

Quit making it easier for us and try something that isn't a shooter for once in your Overwatch lifetime man.

You might find the urge for some hardwork and find it even more fun that just using nothing hitscan power creeping heros that everyone else already plays. Some of which can outplay you easily as much as you think you outplay Torb mains.

You're very full of yourself, and I like it.

Well if it didn't work out for me maining Torb I'd be upset wouldn't I? We're proud because the hero works well. He is only niche because players prefer not to play or get to know him. Which then leads to most of our unsavory conditions.

Hoopefully you pick him up or give a guide or a video a shot. He has a low skill to being decently effective but has a high skill ceiling for mastery.
02/17/2018 08:23 PMPosted by Remedyheart
Forgot to mention that a thoery to Torb's dominance ingame as the defense king may be partially due to the fact that most players do not understand as much as they believe they do.

Edit:

GATHER THE CHURCH MY DEAR BROTHERS!!!! LE US SHOW THEM THE WAY OF TORBJORN!!!! Lord and savior of games, the unspoken carry, and the mightiest of hammer wieldiers! Let us take a moment and rejoice in silence to our turrents.

(Background turrent firing noises.)

Blessed be our packs and may it protect you and your team well! May scrap find it way to you my brothers.

I love how Torb is running around in his own litttle world collecting treasures that others can't see. :)

That and head shotting Widowmakers with his left click. That is very satisfying.
02/17/2018 09:07 PMPosted by SleepyBear
Forgot to mention that a thoery to Torb's dominance ingame as the defense king may be partially due to the fact that most players do not understand as much as they believe they do.

Edit:

GATHER THE CHURCH MY DEAR BROTHERS!!!! LE US SHOW THEM THE WAY OF TORBJORN!!!! Lord and savior of games, the unspoken carry, and the mightiest of hammer wieldiers! Let us take a moment and rejoice in silence to our turrents.

Blessed be our packs and may it protect you and your team well! May scrap find it way to you my brothers.

I love how Torb is running around in his own litttle world collecting treasures that others can't see. :)

That and head shotting Widowmakers with his left click. That is very satisfying.

Please tell me you agree that it was a missed oppoturnity for Torb's pirate skins to not get a gold or jewel visual for their dropped scrap?

Edit:

Don't forget one-shotting Tracers with secondary!
02/17/2018 09:51 PMPosted by TLiciousX

Ohhhh! Bro! For me its that sweet right click when a Tank is trying to down your baby. Its like "Hey buddy! Ignore me more please!"
Probably because his kit not only encourages bad behavior, it also rewards it. Sure, you'll be better at Torb by doing the things you do, but those players find out they are doing well enough just babysitting the turret and letting the AI do the work.
Primary fire is actually the better option even at close range most of the time. His reload time is too long, and Shotgun uses too much ammo.
Torbjorn is actually a really strong DPS hero and his gun is absolutely insane at shredding tanks in half

And its also the most fun there is to be had on him. Running through a crowd of people mowing them down with m2s and dropping armor everywhere.

And yet people dont
02/17/2018 10:34 PMPosted by RogueRogue
Primary fire is actually the better option even at close range most of the time. His reload time is too long, and Shotgun uses too much ammo.

Teue but that falls under resource management and situational awareness. Can I afford to use this much for instant dps? Or do I save up ammo to defend myself or my turrent? Its knowing when and whee your two firing modes work and when you have a good moment to reload.
02/17/2018 10:36 PMPosted by Oizen
Torbjorn is actually a really strong DPS hero and his gun is absolutely insane at shredding tanks in half

And its also the most fun there is to be had on him. Running through a crowd of people mowing them down with m2s and dropping armor everywhere.

And yet people dont

Exactly. But instead of his gun it would be his hammer for me. I have wittled tanks down with a good hammer barrage and the unsuspecting healer who stood by thinking it wouldn't work.

Then the chat would pop up saying "Hammer op!"
Whenever I used to play Torb, I would get into this mind set that the turret was more important than my life. I don't think I would do this now, but I don't actually know how to play him correctly (aside from turret positioning).
02/17/2018 08:10 PMPosted by Róma
for about 60% of Torb players I see would still just hammer their turrets until either their turrets or themselves die no matter the situation;

Well... I mean.... I play Torb when I am drunk because I need the turret to aim for me. I can't let it die.
Why Do You Capitalize Everyone Word In A Sentence
Man, I can't wait until Torb gets his well earned crit box reduction, the community will not be ready for the proactive Torbs
02/17/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Bendubz11
Man, I can't wait until Torb gets his well earned crit box reduction, the community will not be ready for the proactive Torbs

Its strange we torb players are like a hidden cult. We're known and yet rarely seen. Its difficult to see supporters who main him apart from newbies who think its easy being a dwarf.

Though when our time to shine comes, we will voice out and flood this game like a plague.
02/17/2018 08:10 PMPosted by Róma
Diamond level competitive, for about 60% of Torb players I see would still just hammer their turrets until either their turrets or themselves die no matter the situation;

For about 30% of them would use their gun, but primary fire spam only, no matter how close the enemies get;

For about 5% of them would even try to hammer their enemies who are diving them;

And only the rest of that 5% left would use his secondary fire (shotgun) against Winston/D.Va in their face.

=====================================================================

On top of that, at least 50% of them would die to chip damage with 120+ scraps in hands;

30% of them use the next armor pack as soon as their armor takes a tiny amount of damage;

10% of them make full use of their armor packs but only on themselves;

And another 10% would share their armor with key targets in their team.

=====================================================================

I mean seriously, he has such an adaptive kit.

Overall underpowered? Sure he is, but there's also a huge chunk of player base don't have a slightest clue of how to use him efficiently, that's a common thing even for those who main, or even one-trick on him.

I feel so bad for his voice cast and character designers. He's probably the most commonly misused hero, as well as being reckoned a throw pick to piss off their teammates, and not being respected as he deserves when actually played smart and skillfully.

OMG I ran into so many of those turret-bangers that you are describing in Uprising. They seem to think they were godly at Torb and I was like ... um no? Then they'd go on to say how great they are at comp and I was like ... at being carried?
02/17/2018 10:27 PMPosted by Brand
Probably because his kit not only encourages bad behavior, it also rewards it. Sure, you'll be better at Torb by doing the things you do, but those players find out they are doing well enough just babysitting the turret and letting the AI do the work.

Wow. You really have not played Torb.
The number of trash tier torbs at a particular elo is probably proportional to the number of people who mindlessly feed the turret.
02/17/2018 09:51 PMPosted by TLiciousX

So much more satisfying with the primary fire! I love them dinks.