Why Do Most Torb Players Not Know How to Play Him

General Discussion
Diamond torb here

Whether we win or lose is out of our hands. We Torb mains know every round is already pre-determined by the Beard God. It is up to his glorius beard-eyness whether or not win or go to Beard Valhalla

Sometimes sacraficing beard care products can tip the round in our favor, though.
02/17/2018 11:41 PMPosted by TLiciousX
02/17/2018 10:27 PMPosted by Brand
Probably because his kit not only encourages bad behavior, it also rewards it. Sure, you'll be better at Torb by doing the things you do, but those players find out they are doing well enough just babysitting the turret and letting the AI do the work.

Wow. You really have not played Torb.

That's... not really a retort to anything I said. Anyone can see that players just hammering on the turret and letting it do the work works "well enough" for the majority of the playerbase who pick Torb now and then. If you have something to say contrary to that, say it. Don't make vague & unhelpful comments like the one you made above.
02/17/2018 08:10 PMPosted by Róma
For about 5% of them would even try to hammer their enemies who are diving them;

71% winrate torb here never hammer enemies just try to alt fire them. hammer is just too inconsistent.
I started playing him again in CTF and got my share of trash-talk. People forget he has one of the best guns in the game. Sure it's harder to fight with no mobility and a fat hitbox but that's what armor is for. He actually can have better sustain than Doomfist.
OW community is an unwelcoming environment to learn torb in his current state and there's a lot to learn about him as your post shows.
I am guilty of never stopping to hammer my turret because I feel like it instantly dies if I am not doing it and if my turret isn't out, I feel like I am missing the lion's share of my character's worth. And once it's down, I can likely never get it back up again. The only time I can savely leave my turret is when I have ult to instantly repair it and give it a boost

Ultimately, spamming a choke with my M1 doesn't feel as rewarding to me.

I will shotgun close targets, but I feel like when my turret is down and I get focused, I just die too fast.

I use my armor packs to create stashes near my team but I don't feel like my team is utilizing it much. Many tend to take some by accident once their original pack got scratched just slightly. However, if you create them out of the way from everyone, no one will ever go "out of the way" to get them, either. It generally feels like you are burning through armor way faster than you can keep it coming, making maintaining armor levels feel like a battle against windmills. You would also be suicidal to go and "collect" armor outside your teams controlled territory (where the enemy tends to die), so even though you see all that shiny scrap lying around, it will eventually go to waste since you won't be able to collect it anyway.

So, yeah...I may not be a good Torb player, but that may be because it feels like I am playing a character that's hopeless to play to begin with.
02/18/2018 01:32 AMPosted by Brand
02/17/2018 11:41 PMPosted by TLiciousX

Wow. You really have not played Torb.

That's... not really a retort to anything I said. Anyone can see that players just hammering on the turret and letting it do the work works "well enough" for the majority of the playerbase who pick Torb now and then. If you have something to say contrary to that, say it. Don't make vague & unhelpful comments like the one you made above.

Yup you have no idea how to play him. Skill rating for you decent. Try breaking out if that shell and discover what he can do with his gun for once.
02/18/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Remedyheart
Yup you have no idea how to play him. Skill rating for you decent. Try breaking out if that shell and discover what he can do with his gun for once.

Are you paying attention? Do you have a severe reading comprehension issue? This isn't about me. I'm taking about how general players play Torb and never get better because simply hammering on the turret while it does the work is good enough for them.

Do you have evidence which counters this? Then bring it up. Do you see average players who choose Torb doing more than just babysitting the turret? Then bring that evidence. Because otherwise you're just making nonsense comments that have nothing to do with the conversation.