Why is smurfing allowed again

General Discussion
We had two smurfs (both self admitted, linked their grand master accounts) in a low diamond match.

Checking their profiles showed both of them in bronze and they extremely quickly worked their way up to diamond with a very small number of games played

Basically, they're throwing their way to bronze by playing horribly and then obliterating their way up to grand master again.

Why is it considered okay?

Why do we have to play with and against people who intentionally play terrible on a new account to be placed low and then steamroll their way back up to high SR and repeat the process especially during free weekends?
It isn't theyre throwing matches.
Free weekend players aren't allowed to participate in Competitive modes.
Smurfing is totally fine but that's SR manipulation, which is bannable.
Can we please, for the love of god, stop conflating smurfing with intentionally deranking/pub-stomping?

There is a difference between someone actually trying on their alt account and someone who intentionally throws games in order to stay in an SR range where they can solo-stomp the enemy team.
Smurf =/= Thrower

A smurf is simply someone who uses an account of a lower rank than his main, but still plays seriously. Reasons often include the fact that their main account is of too high an SR to queue with their friends.

A thrower is someone who intentionally loses the match for whatever reason.
$$$$$$$$$$
02/18/2018 07:55 PMPosted by Metaspy
$$$$$$$$$$

This.

Smurfs get Blizzard money. I doubt they wanna make something about it... Not like they can do anything tho
Let me ask you, why should smurfing be banned? Smurfs that throw should be banned, but not all smurfs.
02/18/2018 08:00 PMPosted by AlternateZ
02/18/2018 07:55 PMPosted by Metaspy
$$$$$$$$$$

This.

Smurfs get Blizzard money.

Not on console they don't.
02/18/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Murderlistic
A smurf is simply someone who uses an account of a lower rank than his main, but still plays seriously. Reasons often include the fact that their main account is of too high an SR to queue with their friends.

Playing in matches on an account with an SR lower than their main affords them an unfair advantage in those lower SR matches.

According to the in-game reporting system, anything that affords an unfair advantage is cheating.
02/18/2018 09:44 PMPosted by Comixfan

Playing in matches on an account with an SR lower than their main affords them an unfair advantage in those lower SR matches.

According to the in-game reporting system, anything that affords an unfair advantage is cheating.

Yeah, I've never understood how smurfing to 'play with lower ranked friends' is ok, you're still gaming the system. If you're diamond or whatever, creating an account to be gold to play with gold friends is very much sr manipulation.
02/18/2018 10:23 PMPosted by Meritone

Yeah, I've never understood how smurfing to 'play with lower ranked friends' is ok, you're still gaming the system. If you're diamond or whatever, creating an account to be gold to play with gold friends is very much sr manipulation.

agreed. that is what the arcade and qp are for.
Having another account and throwing games are different and independent of each other.
02/18/2018 10:23 PMPosted by Meritone
If you're diamond or whatever, creating an account to be gold to play with gold friends is very much sr manipulation.

Disagreed. A solo diamond player is very different then a team stack with a diamond player. Teams with even duo stacks are more organized then that of a solo queue which means that mechanical skill will only get you so far when the enemy team is more organized.

That is the entire reason many people avoid teaming up because it makes the overall game more difficult to carry.

A diamond solo can very well equate to a gold team stack rank.
02/18/2018 07:29 PMPosted by CoGLucifer
Can we please, for the love of god, stop conflating smurfing with intentionally deranking/pub-stomping?

There is a difference between someone actually trying on their alt account and someone who intentionally throws games in order to stay in an SR range where they can solo-stomp the enemy team.
Hi welcome to console where all these apply
02/18/2018 09:44 PMPosted by Comixfan

Being good is an unfair advantage ???

If for example Im a plat level genji ,but a silver level widow maker.

If I'm on my silver widow maker account playing comp ,but I want to play genji to specifically win this match ,I'm suddenly cheating and should be banned ?
02/19/2018 12:12 AMPosted by Alhaitham
Being good is an unfair advantage ???

If for example Im a plat level genji ,but a silver level widow maker.

If I'm on my silver widow maker account playing comp ,but I want to play genji to specifically win this match ,I'm suddenly cheating and should be banned ?
Then maybe you should have been playing on your plat genji account the whole time.
02/18/2018 07:28 PMPosted by Dysvalence
Smurfing is totally fine but that's SR manipulation, which is bannable.

You don't understand what smurfing is. Smurfing is not having more than one account it is using extra accounts/characters to gain an advantage over others in some way in pvp. In this game that is SR and MMR manipulation. All smurfs are throwers in this game; people just use the term incorrectly and attribute it to people who are playing within the rules on their extra accounts.