Am I CPU bottlenecked, or something else?

General Discussion
So I'm saving up money to upgrade my computer a bit, and got a question..

I got an Intel i5-7600k 3.8 ghz quad core processor (Kaby Lake, LGA 1151) and a GeForce GTX 1070 running a dual monitor, in my computer. First, I know that playing AND streaming is going to slow down any computer, so for even though I do that, I want to know for playing without streaming/recording..

So after the Blizzard World map got released, I found my computer struggling, majroly, to play it and one or two other maps..that I forget which ones they are. They'd run around 20 FPS, 30 if nothing's going on, on Lowest settings, everything turned down or off, 1920x1080, 16:9..borderless window. So after trying some overclocking to 4.4 ghz, I got it run very smoothly, perfectly near 60fps with some to spare..but..

would upgrading my CPU near to a flat 4.4 ghz processor, solve this issue? long term OC is not a solution: I can't do everything I normally do without the computer crashing. Some things just don't like it. So..upgrade the CPU? Or is the GPU in need of an upgrade before? Yes I know of GPU prices and the like, but still asking.

I got a couple weeks before I got enough to seriously upgrade. I'd rather not replace the motherboard, just did that six months ago anyways, and my memory is some 2133 mhz 16 gigabyte single stick. Don't think that's the issue.

also, not an "issue" so not posted in the technical forum. that's all.
Open task manager with control shift escape and check in the performance tab
That was reading a maxed out core in both instances. 25% cpu usage overall. I should say, at least one core was maxed, partial usage of a second. It's like that for almost all games.
If you haven't already, I suggest downloading MSI Afterburner to output your CPU/GPU/RAM/Fan numbers and note what it is the bottleneck from there.
02/15/2018 12:27 PMPosted by PaganNova
So I'm saving up money to upgrade my computer a bit, and got a question..

I got an Intel i5-7600k 3.8 ghz quad core processor (Kaby Lake, LGA 1151) and a GeForce GTX 1070 running a dual monitor, in my computer. First, I know that playing AND streaming is going to slow down any computer, so for even though I do that, I want to know for playing without streaming/recording..

So after the Blizzard World map got released, I found my computer struggling, majroly, to play it and one or two other maps..that I forget which ones they are. They'd run around 20 FPS, 30 if nothing's going on, on Lowest settings, everything turned down or off, 1920x1080, 16:9..borderless window. So after trying some overclocking to 4.4 ghz, I got it run very smoothly, perfectly near 60fps with some to spare..but..

would upgrading my CPU near to a flat 4.4 ghz processor, solve this issue? long term OC is not a solution: I can't do everything I normally do without the computer crashing. Some things just don't like it. So..upgrade the CPU? Or is the GPU in need of an upgrade before? Yes I know of GPU prices and the like, but still asking.

I got a couple weeks before I got enough to seriously upgrade. I'd rather not replace the motherboard, just did that six months ago anyways, and my memory is some 2133 mhz 16 gigabyte single stick. Don't think that's the issue.

also, not an "issue" so not posted in the technical forum. that's all.

Just for a reference I am running an i5 2500k at 3.3Ghz a GTX 1070 everything on ultra at 4k (3,840x2,160) on my TV at 60hz with 32gb ram and I get a solid 60FPS.
I am running the game and windows on an SSD I get about 25-35% CPU usage.

If overclocking the CPU helped then yes your CPU might be slowing you down some.
Not sure what else I did different, but yeah. Even maxxed out FoV now, I can run 100+ FPS on Ultra..ok that's weird. Really weird, but..alright, thanks.

I'm gonna go be dumbfounded in QP now

edit: I do have MSI Afterburner. Never used it though. I know in my motherboard BIOS, I left the cpu fan on max. That's it.