Tips for being nervous on Voice Chat?

General Discussion
its not a fear its just common shyness
remember only one thing that others are the same human as you
Yup, Some guys are just total idiots, and it's really a shame that they need to demonstrate their manliness by Zapp Brannigan it up. I am sure they sounded like one of the Hemsworths in their own heads but they just come across as the worst stereotype version of the sex-starved basement dwelling geeks to me. I seriously have no idea who they try to impress. Are they going to brag to their equally dweeby friends tomorrow, hi-fiving each other for another public display of their awesome machoness from the relative safety of their sun-proved nerd bunker? It doesn't impress me and I am man, if that kind of behaviour is how we measure manhood then I would be ashamed to call myself one. It certainly doesn't impress the ladies who are the target of said harassment, which I have to assume beneath this 3d chess level of calculated effort of attracting the attention of the opposite sex, getting on the girls good side is kind of the end goal and yet it would appear that the net effect is at the very least counterproductive to the idea of creating the right environment for a meaningful and relational interaction. Does certain vocal frequency unique to the female population triggers an involuntary reaction in these male brains that they cannot help themselves but behave like first class dingleberries, like dog whistles to a mutt? Are they simply unable to imagine a fulfilled life with a member of the opposite sex that they sub consciously sabotage any online social efforts that would bring them the possibility of a meaningful relationship if they JUST stop being total muppet for 20 minutes and act like normal IRL human beings? I don't know, I don’t think they know...

The first thing about these guys is that they are cowards, their bravado can only exist from behind the keyboard. The only thing that gives them a sense of power in their otherwise pathetic lives is to bully people online. I hope you find a way forward to do what you love online and able to block out this stupid noise from so-called man who cannot find significance otherwise and had to resort to satisfying themselves in a worthless power trip in an online game that's supposed to be about fun. Don't let their apparent enormity online fool you, they are not worth your time of day in any other context except the internet for better or worse, amplify the extremes and underplay the mundane. Most guys don't lose their sh*t just because a girl is online. Do what you need to do and enjoy the game. Best of luck my friend!
Don't use voice chat. It's a good way to keep from winding up with high blood pressure. Just play the game and enjoy it.
I am a girl, and honestly the only advice I can give is, grow some balls. Yeah I know... but that is the best way of phrasing it.

You won't be surrounded by girls, you will be surrounded by guys, and guys are different, it's obvious and yet I feel like a lot of girls can't understand that when interacting with guys online. When some guy is joking about something related to you, be it your voice or gender, or age, you need to recognize it, you can't label every joke as harassment, chances are they aren't making fun of you, they are just trying to talk to you. And this recognition comes from experience with dealing with people. Just like real life really.

Of course when someone is literally calling you B____ and C___ that's pretty bad but if someone makes fun of you for being a mercy main for example (i've gotten that a lot) it doesn't always mean they are being toxic. I laugh about being a mercy main with them and I make friends that way.

Honestly, I've had plenty of games when the people were happy to hear me speak, I've had guys flirt with me and I didn't find that offensive, you shouldn't either, be flattered, not like you'll ever meet those people. Try to remember times like that rather than the times when people are being toxic to you. Basically for every toxic little dip!@#$ I met, I also met some very nice people. But yeah if someone is being really mean to you, block (don't leave VC just block them), report, finish the game and take a break, you don't want to end up in the same lobby as them next game.

As for how to overcome your shyness, I remember being very shy at first (I am speaking of when I started playing mmos). A good start is just typing in chat first. OW is difficult for this but, if you hear someone talk at the beginning/between rounds of the game and you have an opinion but don't want to talk, type it out. After that I would say, answer in voice chat if someone asks you something. Also, try to just say hello at the beginning of a game, and/or a simple good job to everyone at the end if you win. Then when you gain a bit more confidence, just make simple call outs, like calling out a target that is low, over time you can start calling out other stuff you deem important.
Just breathe and don't think too much in voice.

If someone's being a jerk then mute them cause honestly those people are distracting and will screw with you performing at your best.

You can also voice with some friends and practice being comfortable with communicating.
English is a second language, although I was taught English at a young age and watching alot of Dinsey and Cartoon network I was never taught how to engage in a conversation, I can type or think of what I want to say in my mind and they'd seem perfect but when I open my mouth and speak I stutter and it took me a while to build grammatically correct sentences.

I happened to find a couple of American friends on social media years ago (we're still close friends till now) and they invited me to skype calls.. group calls were hell, too shy and I stutter a lot, one of them started invitng me for a one on one call and it was there were I started getting comfy speaking, and group calls became easier, my insecurities started disappearing, they still exist but way less that they used to, so I'm grateful for them.

When I first started overwatch I had thay fear, people I don't know, they'll make fun of me.. they wont understand what i'm trying to say etc.. started doing simple calls, "group up" "tracer behind us" just small things and now I actually have games were I'm solely shot calling everything and people follow up.. this was long lol didn't mean to type that much just take baby steps I guess with small calls that don't require you to speak alot.
I’m a girl and it took me a little while to get comfortable talking. Ultimately yeah, there will be jerks and sexist pigs, but there’s a mute button, and a report button, which always makes me feel better. You can’t undo the tilt, but I promise it’s not every game (and if it is then I promise you just had horrible luck and you should keep playing).

This is gonna sound horrible but sometimes being a girl in voice chat can help. I’m pretty sure I’ve helped pull teams together because a lot of guys act differently around women, and sometimes guys are more willing to swap to healer when you ask. I’m not saying abuse your gender, just that, if you can, see a bright side? (I understand how some would get mad at me saying this, but I never stand for anyone being sexist to me. I just know I’ve had times where my no one will switch till they hear the gril ask them to...)
As soon as everyone loads in, say in voice chat something COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS

"HEY GUYS, my name's Baron O Beef Dip and my hobbies include collecting seashells, kidnapping, and throwing rocks at daycare centers. Who here has an STD?"

After that, anything you say is easy.
02/15/2018 11:21 PMPosted by Leewo
I am a girl, and honestly the only advice I can give is, grow some balls. Yeah I know... but that is the best way of phrasing it.

You won't be surrounded by girls, you will be surrounded by guys, and guys are different, it's obvious and yet I feel like a lot of girls can't understand that when interacting with guys online. When some guy is joking about something related to you, be it your voice or gender, or age, you need to recognize it, you can't label every joke as harassment, chances are they aren't making fun of you, they are just trying to talk to you. And this recognition comes from experience with dealing with people. Just like real life really.

Of course when someone is literally calling you B____ and C___ that's pretty bad but if someone makes fun of you for being a mercy main for example (i've gotten that a lot) it doesn't always mean they are being toxic. I laugh about being a mercy main with them and I make friends that way.

Honestly, I've had plenty of games when the people were happy to hear me speak, I've had guys flirt with me and I didn't find that offensive, you shouldn't either, be flattered, not like you'll ever meet those people. Try to remember times like that rather than the times when people are being toxic to you. Basically for every toxic little dip!@#$ I met, I also met some very nice people. But yeah if someone is being really mean to you, block (don't leave VC just block them), report, finish the game and take a break, you don't want to end up in the same lobby as them next game.

As for how to overcome your shyness, I remember being very shy at first (I am speaking of when I started playing mmos). A good start is just typing in chat first. OW is difficult for this but, if you hear someone talk at the beginning/between rounds of the game and you have an opinion but don't want to talk, type it out. After that I would say, answer in voice chat if someone asks you something. Also, try to just say hello at the beginning of a game, and/or a simple good job to everyone at the end if you win. Then when you gain a bit more confidence, just make simple call outs, like calling out a target that is low, over time you can start calling out other stuff you deem important.

Please read my previous comments further back as to why the grow some balls approach isnt the best option, and also where I state im not loosing sleep over these guys who act like that either im just expressing annoyance with having to constantly put up with.

I get what you're saying and I can joke and have fun, but theres a difference in laughing with someone and laughing at them, and in all cases I complain about I am being laughed at.

Hell I have a few guy friends who I do play with on occasion and they have that sense of humor, and I'm okay with it but you can clearly tell when they are joking, as you can clearly tell when other people are not joking. I'm like talking about actually raging and saying aggressively we lost because of a girl or just belittling me because I'm a girl.

"get int the kitchen and make me a bleeping sandwich instead of playing overwatch bi-"

That's not a sense of humor, or a joke or someone trying to talk to me!!! Nor is claims of sexual assault being forms of flirting.

I don't make these posts about petty !@#$ that is obviously guys joking, I make these posts about actual problem and issues and nasty stuff that is happening! Thick skin keeps you from getting upset and loosing sleep over this, but growing some balls doesnt fix this problem or keep it from happening!!!!
My advice is try to find decent ppl to que up with , just to minimize the amount of toolbags you get. Doesnt need to be full team. Even one persone is like 30% less likely to have that kind of attitude thrown to you.
I find this kind of behaviour disgusting. The best thing you can do is really to just queue with friends, short of that this forum has some good advice. Personally, if this happened in my games I'd give that jerk a piece of my mind.

Just a reminder that not all guys out there are chauvinist pigs and some guys sympathise with your situation.
just don't give a single fuc about what they're gonna think about you

thinking about that i manage to at least say hello