So what do you guys think about overwatch's Loot Boxes?

General Discussion
I'll be honest, I'm not a fan about Loot Boxes.
I don't have a problem with it. I can be rewarded for just playing the game, and if I want to speed things up I can buy them.

I do think we need more ways of getting the currency. Just getting it from loot boxes isn't really efficient for stocking up $$$ to get an item you want. I'd appreciate daily quests or something like that. Paladins has this system, which I think is nice.(Despite loot boxes in that game being garbage)
02/18/2018 08:23 PMPosted by Profane
I do think we need more ways of getting the currency. Just getting it from loot boxes isn't really efficient for stocking up $$$ to get an item you want. I'd appreciate daily quests or something like that.
Absolutely. I am literally 75 away from getting one of the new event skins, and it won't. Freaking. Give it to me.
I don't like loot boxes, and it took my friends a lot of convincing to get me to buy the game. I can never get behind a system that forces you to randomly buy a bunch of stuff you will never use in order to get the one thing you do want.
RNG based progression systems are bad in general, they're only tolerable when they have some method of avoiding the RNG. I.e. user trading, getting currency for duplicates, being able to scrap items and craft them into other specific items, etc.

RNG based microtransactions are extremely anti-consumer. They're designed to get you to waste $100 to finally obtain that item you wanted that's only truly worth $5, while the guy next to you gets lucky and gets it on his first try. If I'm buying something I should know exactly what I'm buying. Real commerce doesn't involve people buying blind goods and hoping for the best. It's especially bad when you're usually just getting common crap that could be gained in just an hour of playtime anyways. At that point why bother spending real money?
02/18/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Kuzie
I don't like loot boxes, and it took my friends a lot of convincing to get me to buy the game. I can never get behind a system that forces you to randomly buy a bunch of stuff you will never use in order to get the one thing you do want.

You're not forced. Where's the guy holding the gun to your head? Are they saying you can't play if you don't buy boxes?

A friend of mine almost has everything in the game (granted around level 900) but hasn't spent a single penny on it. No one is forcing you to do anything. You can just play the game, save up currency, and then get it next year for events a 1/3rd of the price.
02/18/2018 08:28 PMPosted by datpotatoe
Real commerce doesn't involve people buying blind goods and hoping for the best.

Actually, often times it does.

Pokemon cards
Any kind of sports card.
These new toilet baby toys?
Those things in the eggs?
Real life loot boxes
Mystery figurines (like for Five Nights at Freddy's)
Random Pop.

And those are just a few examples.
I don't have an issue for the most part, but the people painting Blizzard as some monster preying on kids to make them all gamblers is ridiculous.

Seriously, someone doesn't get what they want and all of the sudden it's Blizzard's fault for tricking them into it lmao
Coming from years of playing Korean MMOs where everyone gets the short end of the stick, lootboxes were a saving grace for me.

The idea of being able to obtain free boxes and eventually obtain all items from just playing was alien to me, as I've lived in RNG purgatory for so long that I've grown used to it.

I was actually quite surprised when all this "lootboxes are gambling" etc came about since it never seemed like an issue before. Won't lie, but my harsh opinion is just that people are being babies.
I don't feel rewarded when a skin. I did feel rewarded when I did the Nexus challenge in HotS. I wish there were more ways to earn skins/currency and doing those types of quest that reward the player with a unique skin that had to be earned, not get lucky.
I don't really have a problem with how they are implemented in Overwatch. They are cosmetic only and completely optional. You can earn them pretty quickly in game too.

I can see preferring a pure in-game currency system for skins, like the Overwatch League skins, but honestly Overwatch did loot boxes about as well as you can do loot boxes. Lots of games do it worse.
They're only cosmetics so it's not like it's an actual hindrance on my experience. I mean, sure they can be annoying, but when you plan on running an online only game with consistent free updates indefinitely, I can see why they're a necessity.

Can't really run servers and updates indefinitely when you have a finite amount of money.
I just think it's funny how I rail so hard against not getting lootboxes fast enough when I really don't get that much use out of them when I do get them. Must be the part of the brain where MTG packs resides. Gotta see what I get next and all.
02/18/2018 08:48 PMPosted by Slyther0829

Can't really run servers and updates indefinitely when you have a finite amount of money.

This would make more sense to say..if this wasn't Blizzard
Lootboxes should be what you earn for playing the game. However, if you are going to spend real money it should be to purchase directly what you want. Locking money transactions behind a random outcome is where the problems come from the lootbox issue. Lootboxes should have been the mechanic that incentivized players to spend money to not have to deal with random items. Instead they are used to generate more profit. That is why the entire issue is unethical. It has nothing to do with buying power or just cosmetics.
If you're going to have them I think overwatch does it best, especially since every event, character and map is free, but purely cosmetic loot boxes aren't always ok. Destiny 2's loot boxes are pure cosmetics, but things like ships and ghost shells you earned normally in D1 are only in loot boxes now save for a few exceptions.
Most of the legendaries are non-event. Fore every new event legendary I get 4 non event legendaries. Not enough currency either.
02/18/2018 08:54 PMPosted by SnowMantis
02/18/2018 08:48 PMPosted by Slyther0829

This would make more sense to say..if this wasn't Blizzard

Blizzard or not, it's horrible business to non stop throw money into something that has 0 potential returns.

If they want to continue to update Overwatch, then Overwatch needs to come up with the funds to do so. Otherwise, it's a literal waste of money as far as business goes and they'll just stop supporting it.
02/18/2018 09:04 PMPosted by Jæk
Most of the legendaries are non-event. Fore every new event legendary I get 4 non event legendaries. Not enough currency either.
I think I've gotten four to drop and two were event skins, both of which being ones I don't care for. Its heart breaking when that happens and I'd rather get blues than a legendary I don't want because it gets your hopes up. If I could scrap legendaries for 200 currency that would be really nice. Ever since they nerfed the amount of dupes you get I barely get any currency.
They're not worth paying for. I like the system just fine for getting free stuff. Rarity is 90% of the value anyways.