Make torb/sym more offensive

General Discussion
A major problem in Overwatch are one tricks. It's one thing to find a soldier or tracer one trick as those characters can fit into almost any comp, but a torb and sym one trick? How do they fit into any comp at all besides defensive "cheese"? They offer no real attacking potential at all except very niche things like flanking teleporters and a insanely tanky molten cored torb. Any SOMEWHAT coordinated team will be able to easily deal with this, like oh we didn't kill sym in the team fight where is she? Sym is behind us go dive the tp? Are there any ways to potentially make them more "offensive" heroes? Just a small idea I had #TORBWALLCLIMB :^)
When I pick Torbjorn on attack, everybody gets offended. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
02/19/2018 04:21 PMPosted by Tuna
How do they fit into any comp at all besides defensive "cheese"? They offer no real attacking potential at all except very niche things like flanking teleporters and a insanely tanky molten cored torb.

I agree both of them are better while playing defense than attack. But I also think most people forget that "better in defense" do not mean "useless in attack".

Symmetra is a great weapon against shield comps. And those are heavily featured in hard choke maps (like Hanamura or Volskaya). Simply keeping an healthy orb spam through the choke will make people leave that "protected" zone behind the shield, or you eventually get a pick or two because Rein/Orisa block their team vision of your incoming orb. Either case is the signal for your team to push the choke.

Shield Generator is also incredibly strong on attack because if you place it beyond the correct curves, the defense team can't really send someone to destroy it without risking a 5v6 push. That is very common in Volskaya, where everyone knows the shield generator is on the hotel, but even a Tracer can't break it and return in time to fight on the point. And doing so after a heated fight will risk her meeting people from your team respawning.

Torbjorn can setup his turret as a support fire for his team. Let them push through, then place a turret where it can see the point. Depending on how well the push is going, you either upgrade the turret to level 2, or join the fight and leave the level 1 turret there. If someone on the enemy team leave the defense to deal with the turret, that is damage and attention not going into your team (and not feeding ult, since the turret don't feed ult).

Both builders can also place their defenses on the opposite side of the chokes to prevent defense flankers from harassing your team backline, or allowing your team to retreat if the push fail without worrying to much with pursuers trying to finish them off.
02/19/2018 04:31 PMPosted by HughMungus
When I pick Torbjorn on attack, everybody gets offended. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

They dont get that on me cus im not in either voice or text chat ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I don't think that's the right approach.

Each hero is not meant to be balanced for 1v1. Some heroes are more universal, like Soldier 76, and other heroes are more niche, like Torbjorn and Symmetra.

One-tricking is the problem, not hero balance.

Here's my take on the situation. Overwatch is relatively new and young. It's still building a player base. I believe that Blizzard will keep the game more accessible (allowing one-tricks and leavers) until they meet their player base number target. Then, they'll start implementing ways to make the game more competitive.
League of Legends pretty much did the same thing. Took them 5 years to implement champion select and leaver busters.
Yea I agree with this for the most part, though the builders are known to be very defense-orientated, a lot of the times offense heroes are used in place of these heroes anyways and Blizzard has stated the hero categories are more of a newbie guideline and don't really matter after you get gud enough to know better that pretty much all offense/defense heroes fall under being "DPS", especially with Hanzo/Widow being notably better on attack.

As for one tricks, I don't think Blizz will be doing anything about that unless they actually do some sort of enforcement on what players can or cannot do in ranked, which won't be anytime soon at all.
The biggest reason is they need setup time too long. But if it was instant I think nerf of damage somewhere is needed
I can't talk about Torb, put there are a lot of misconceptions about Sym.

I'd say that she's better on attack than defense on about 40% of the maps.
On 2CP maps defense, she's actually better on second point defense than first point.
She's not countered by Winston/Pharah, she's countered by Tracer/McCree/Doomfist.