Bullying into picking main based on hours

Competitive Discussion
In many of my games when blizzard is looking for people to be open to diversity on hero selections, they end up being bullied into picking the hero they have the most hours in competitive.

Where in one game a person want's to play doomfist, based on time they were repeatedly told "Why are you throwing, why did you pick him, you have 26 minutes on him".

Even as a mercy main seeing how many hours I played this is the situation "Here have mercy" when I want to play Moria.

A lot of conflict, arguments, toxicity in competitive mode arises out of this. So I propose to allow to hide our hours in competitive mode or all together have it not shown anymore.

- Thank you
Or just have an option to enable either a public or private career profile. That way, people who want to share their stats can and those who feel like the OP can avoid that issue.
Dead game is dead. All that remains are egos and toxicity. I have both in excess.
be who you are lol. you dont need to hide your time played to play what you want.
02/14/2018 11:00 AMPosted by ClickBait
In many of my games when blizzard is looking for people to be open to diversity on hero selections, they end up being bullied into picking the hero they have the most hours in competitive.

Where in one game a person want's to play doomfist, based on time they were repeatedly told "Why are you throwing, why did you pick him, you have 26 minutes on him".

Even as a mercy main seeing how many hours I played this is the situation "Here have mercy" when I want to play Moria.

A lot of conflict, arguments, toxicity in competitive mode arises out of this. So I propose to allow to hide our hours in competitive mode or all together have it not shown anymore.

- Thank you

The person needs to be strong and ignore the bullies.

Who are the bullies- No one. They are complete strangers online who do not matter. Ignore them and move on and play who you care to play as long as you are following the rules.
Mute them or close chat play who you want as long as you can accept being stubborn and picking who you want rather than what the team needs will make you lose more then go ahead.
Competitive is the place you go to win, not for "having fun". If you want to screw around on heroes you don't specialize in, then go to qp.
I have experienced that a lot, with genjis mostly.
I spent some seasons as Mercy main, I've got around 150hrs on her but I've also got 56 hrs on reaper and 56hrs on Tracer, as well as many other hours on other characters.

For some reason, that doesn't give me credentials to be dps and the genjis will moan and whine and abuse that in chat.
02/14/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Amerasian
Competitive is the place you go to win, not for "having fun". If you want to screw around on heroes you don't specialize in, then go to qp.

This is exactly what’s wrong with the community. How do you know the person doesn’t have a ton of hours on DPS in QP and are now ready to transfer those skills to comp? Maybe they have an all Tracer alt account and decide to play Tracer on a different account that mains support. Or maybe they’re just damn good at all roles and want to do something different than usual.

Just let people play what they want, when they want and don’t be a jerk. How about that?
How funny is it that you leave out relevant detail.

You main Mercy, a hero whose only two transferable picks are Symmetra and Moira, both of which requires sub-minimal aim and little to no gamesense. People don't want players like you that have zero mechanics to pick things that DO require mechanics. A GM Mercy main/1 trick in a 4000 game picking Tracer drastically reduces your chance of you winning because that player is most likely sub-GM on their picks, most of the time being anywhere between Bronze and gold levels of mechanical efficiency.

Notice how people who main Tracer aren't being "bullied" into playing Tracer because their mechanics are actually transferable due to the fact that the majority of the heroes in this game require aim. You would NOT be able to play at the level you're currently at from 1 tricking a hero that requires no skill when you transfer to a hero that DOES require it.

On a side note, it's good to see after the Mercy nerf you've fallen from Diamond into low plat and counting. It's funny how people like you who have no skill in anything other than healbotting and occasionally tapping the space bar are suffering from your inability to play the game correctly.
02/14/2018 02:32 PMPosted by tnucreggin

You main Mercy, a hero whose only two transferable picks are Symmetra and Moira, both of which requires sub-minimal aim and little to no gamesense. People don't want players like you that have zero mechanics to pick things that DO require mechanics. A GM Mercy main/1 trick in a 4000 game picking Tracer drastically reduces your chance of you winning because that player is most likely sub-GM on their picks, most of the time being anywhere between Bronze and gold levels of mechanical efficiency.

Notice how people who main Tracer aren't being "bullied" into playing Tracer because their mechanics are actually transferable due to the fact that the majority of the heroes in this game require aim. You would NOT be able to play at the level you're currently at from 1 tricking a hero that requires no skill when you transfer to a hero that DOES require it.

On a side note, it's good to see after the Mercy nerf you've fallen from Diamond into low plat and counting. It's funny how people like you who have no skill in anything other than healbotting and occasionally tapping the space bar are suffering from your inability to play the game correctly.

Somebody clearly got out of the wrong side of bed today.

In OPs defence, they have 61 hours on Ana and 28 hours on Mei (both requiring aim and "mechanical efficiency").

Maybe just accept that people like to play certain heroes that you may not like and move on?
Grow thicker skin, snowflakes

Just cuz someone gives you a hard time about something doesn't mean you have to take different actions

In comp, play heroes you're good at
It's funny how people like you who have no skill in anything other than healbotting and occasionally tapping the space bar are suffering from your inability to play the game correctly.

You heard it here first folks...

Healing your teammates isn't playing the game correctly. We should all be playing whatever hero's this person picks because they're so good at the game they're in OW league and top 500 every season.

Because if you're not first you're last and this person is clearly the best player in the world based on their response.

What's that you're not the best player in the world you say? So that means you're last. Welcome to the not good enough club... foods on the bar and wine coolers are in the fridge.
02/14/2018 12:56 PMPosted by JAE
02/14/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Amerasian

This is exactly what’s wrong with the community. How do you know the person doesn’t have a ton of hours on DPS in QP and are now ready to transfer those skills to comp? Maybe they have an all Tracer alt account and decide to play Tracer on a different account that mains support. Or maybe they’re just damn good at all roles and want to do something different than usual.

Just let people play what they want, when they want and don’t be a jerk. How about that?
The devs had explicitly said comp is about winning. Your best hero is the hero you play the most. Most people tell people to play their best hero because its the best way to get an actual team comp in competitive.
While it's easy to say "ignore the bullies" it still has an effect on the game.

The people complaining will immediately have a negative attitude, thinking they will lose, becoming triggered or throwing even. I think the bad part is not the words they speak but the actions that follow.

I mean one season I was a Zenyatta main, another a Lucio main, the next I was an Ana and Tank main, then a Moira main and now a Mercy main just looking at my competitive seasons. But that is because I filled in the placements with the heroes the team needed, spiralling into picking the same hero again and again because people automatically assumed I would main it.

I mean I don't mind filling, I'll play any hero if it contributes to winning, but even though I might look like a Mercy main this season, I actually have more hours on DPS heroes than on Support and Tank combined.
02/14/2018 03:13 PMPosted by Neronester

In OPs defence, they have 61 hours on Ana and 28 hours on Mei (both requiring aim and "mechanical efficiency").

Maybe just accept that people like to play certain heroes that you may not like and move on?

It's always fun when people take quick play stats and compare them to competitive. It's almost like if you're a low level player on heroes in quick play despite playing alot of it, you're not an actual high level player in COMP.

What a despicable excuse.
Doesn’t it show hours played in the current Competitive season not total hours played??

That’s an indicator of what characters you played to get to your rank
02/15/2018 07:04 AMPosted by tnucreggin
02/14/2018 03:13 PMPosted by Neronester

It's always fun when people take quick play stats and compare them to competitive. It's almost like if you're a low level player on heroes in quick play despite playing alot of it, you're not an actual high level player in COMP.

What a despicable excuse.

But most people would also say that QP is not a true measure of mastery of a character, comp is. So in order to transfer the skills they've been learning on a more aim dependent hero they need the opportunity to take those characters into comp and actually try them.

If people in a random group don't want to give them that opportunity then of course they're going to play what they know because that'll give group of randos the best chance to win.

If you want more people to pick up more mechanically demanding heroes then encourage them, don't dump on them. I just can't get the mentality of people trash talking people who play Mercy and then also trash talking them when they want to get better on more mechanically difficult heroes.

To the OP, it may be worth going into the various Overwatch groups online and seeing if you can put together a group to play with. That would give you people you're comfortable with and who you'll be able to comfortably get time on those other heroes. Doing that helped me switch into a comfortable tank roll and while there may be some SR drops as you're learning, you'll have way more fun while you climb back up.
Just say you’re going to play it and will swap if we’re struggling. If you have 90% of your hours on one hero, it’s natural (or at least common) to be blamed when the team is struggling.

Think about it though, if you see someone with 30 hours Genji and 2 hours on their next most played and they aren’t getting kills, wouldn’t you suggest they try their main?
02/15/2018 06:53 AMPosted by TurningDrop
02/14/2018 12:56 PMPosted by JAE

The devs had explicitly said comp is about winning. Your best hero is the hero you play the most. Most people tell people to play their best hero because its the best way to get an actual team comp in competitive.

Saying comp is about winning isn’t exactly earth shattering news. Playing any mode in general is about winning, otherwise make QP and arcade mode have no score keeping.

That doesn’t change the fact that you can still be trying your best in comp even if you play someone other than your most played hero.

And no, you’re wrong. Just because someone has the most hours on Pharah for example, doesnr automatically mean that’s the hero they perform best on. They may just love Pharah but suck with her