Is PBSR being removed across the board for S9?

Competitive Discussion
02/19/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Tapsum!@#$
i can 100% hand on heart say there is nothing they can really do to stop smurfs.

I also think the issue is overplayed hugely, I've only ever seen a handful of people i thought were legit smurfing. Maybe there are more at the lower ranks, i don't know. But i don't remember the last time i saw someone that completely outplayed an entire team.

ON WAIT THATS ME DOING THAT LOL nah but actually i don't remember the last time i saw it.

It’s a massive console issue.
02/19/2018 04:57 PMPosted by polishpimp
First of all let's face facts out of the 35 million accounts how many of them you think actually do competitive? Ill give you a hint it aint even anywhere close to half.

A few million, not even 10 o . o)
02/19/2018 04:26 PMPosted by kitten
02/19/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Sofrito
Now that the change has had a season to "bake in" for Diamond+ Will performance-based SR also be removed for Plat and below for S9?

So you want smurfs to stay low SR for longer?

if smurfs want to stay low sr they will stay low sr because they will throw, why is this hard to understand

at this point it feels like a weak excuse motivated by rank elitism because yall don't want people below plat to enjoy a better system.

if alternate accounts are placing significantly lower than thier mains then that is an issue with placement system not with the sr system, please stop repeating the same tired excuse over and over.

02/19/2018 06:16 PMPosted by AtlasTelamon
02/19/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Tapsum!@#$
i can 100% hand on heart say there is nothing they can really do to stop smurfs.

I also think the issue is overplayed hugely, I've only ever seen a handful of people i thought were legit smurfing. Maybe there are more at the lower ranks, i don't know. But i don't remember the last time i saw someone that completely outplayed an entire team.

ON WAIT THATS ME DOING THAT LOL nah but actually i don't remember the last time i saw it.

smurfs aren't detered by the current system at all my dude, no pbsr for everyone will actually make it easier to climb past smurfs because you will be able to climb based on your winrate not based on your stats that are messed up by people smurfing
02/19/2018 07:23 PMPosted by gungay
02/19/2018 04:26 PMPosted by kitten

So you want smurfs to stay low SR for longer?

if smurfs want to stay low sr they will stay low sr because they will throw, why is this hard to understand

at this point it feels like a weak excuse motivated by rank elitism because yall don't want people below plat to enjoy a better system.

if alternate accounts are placing significantly lower than thier mains then that is an issue with placement system not with the sr system, please stop repeating the same tired excuse over and over.

02/19/2018 06:16 PMPosted by AtlasTelamon

smurfs aren't detered by the current system at all my dude, no pbsr for everyone will actually make it easier to climb past smurfs because you will be able to climb based on your winrate not based on your stats that are messed up by people smurfing

My friend gave me their silver account and it took less than 2 hours to gain 600 SR. Basically got ~80SR per win. I’d have to throw 4 games to lose the SR I gained from one win. Not sure about you but I don’t have the time or patience to throw 4 games per 1 game of trying.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

<span class="truncated">...</span>

My friend gave me their silver account and it took less than 2 hours to gain 600 SR. Basically got ~80SR per win. I’d have to throw 4 games to lose the SR I gained from one win. Not sure about you but I don’t have the time or patience to throw 4 games per 1 game of trying.

ok, so what, lots of people simply get off on ruining lower ranked games, weather it be throwing or stomping, they don't care how many games they have to throw, also you can do basically the opposite of padding stats to get less sr for wins.

both league and dota use a non performance based system, both have smurfs, thier ranked ladder honestly feels better to play compared to overwatch's, the benefits of removing pbsr outweigh the negatives for me and a bunch of other people as far as i can tell also i don't think there ARE any negatives because having spent a lot of time with both those games, they feel fine.

Even if there is a tiny uptick in smurfs, i don't think there will be, it won't matter because you will get smurfs both throwing and carrying on both teams and it will even out over time, no more having to win two games to make up for loosing against two smurfs who kept you in your spawn the whole game because performance no longer factors into how much sr you gain.
02/19/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Sofrito
Now that the change has had a season to "bake in" for Diamond+ Will performance-based SR also be removed for Plat and below for S9?

There hasn't been any announcements yet about season 9. Signs point to no changes, but sometimes there is a late announcement.
I've said it many times but PBSR is an absolute necessity and should never have been removed at any rank to begin with. Bottom line is that with the amount of random noise inherent in matchmaking in this sort of team based game it would take tens of thousands of games to place a player at his proper rank based on wins alone. Given that 99.9% of the playerbase will NEVER play that many games at all, you end up with a vast majority of people stuck in the wrong rank and moving far too slowly, with most of their rank owed to randomness rather than ability.

Better the flawed system of performance-based than the non-functional system of win-based.
02/19/2018 11:26 PMPosted by Sotanaht
I've said it many times but PBSR is an absolute necessity and should never have been removed at any rank to begin with. Bottom line is that with the amount of random noise inherent in matchmaking in this sort of team based game it would take tens of thousands of games to place a player at his proper rank based on wins alone. Given that 99.9% of the playerbase will NEVER play that many games at all, you end up with a vast majority of people stuck in the wrong rank and moving far too slowly, with most of their rank owed to randomness rather than ability.

Better the flawed system of performance-based than the non-functional system of win-based.

it wouldn't be non functioning... it works fine in both dota and league which are also very team based, possibly more team based than overwatch. Why cant we atleast try it or have a compromise between pbsr and no pbsr... like have 50 games at the start of each season be performance based or something....
02/19/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Sofrito
Allow me to elaborate then. The removal of PBSR is to promote players to play for the WIN rather than squat on a single hero every match and stat-pad. You know, like the Devs came out and said themselves when they implemented the change.

people in bronze don't know how to counter pick let alone look at anything more than their gold medals lol

you probably don't understand why you got -40 SR in a loss as Bastion with gold medals even though you are complaining about PBSR. junkrat and the mercy meta was/is bad, but i will quit the game if PBSR is removed.

we might win and lose as a team, but i ain't gonna go hungry sharing with someone that can't pull their weight unless they are held to a higher standard.
02/19/2018 11:44 PMPosted by onetrick
Allow me to elaborate then. The removal of PBSR is to promote players to play for the WIN rather than squat on a single hero every match and stat-pad. You know, like the Devs came out and said themselves when they implemented the change.

people in bronze don't know how to counter pick let alone look at anything more than their gold medals lol

you probably don't understand why you got -40 SR in a loss as Bastion with gold medals even though you are complaining about PBSR. junkrat and the mercy meta was/is bad, but i will quit the game if PBSR is removed.

we might win and lose as a team, but i ain't gonna go hungry sharing with someone that can't pull their weight unless they are held to a higher standard.

given your attitude im not sure if you quitting would be much of a loss

the current system doesn't reward all styles of play, lets your teammates modify your sr gains\losses, encourages one tricks and discourages teamplay, getting rid of pbsr would be amazing.

maybe the hypothetical bastion in your kinda rude example had a troll so they were able to get golds but gold ended up being low, they don't deserve to loose 40 sr because theres a troll on thier team, if thier game was just a normal game i don't see why a bastion in the current system should loose 40 sr when they get good stats... care to explain why oh oracle of the sr system?
02/19/2018 11:55 PMPosted by gungay
the current system doesn't reward all styles of play, lets your teammates modify your sr gains\losses, encourages one tricks and discourages teamplay, getting rid of pbsr would be amazing.

i promise you that as a one trick bronze tracer that the least of your problems is your teammates, teamplay or a one trick. you legit just run into their backline, no one knows you are there and you 1 clip their supports. you do this for a few games and then you are suddenly silver lol

but yes, PBSR rewards consistency and punishes inconsistency, so people usually only play Bastion under the right circumstances. also, if you lose 40 SR in any game, you didn't get "good stats"
02/19/2018 11:44 PMPosted by onetrick

you probably don't understand why you got -40 SR in a loss as Bastion with gold medals even though you are complaining about PBSR.

The amount of SR won/lost is determined by comparing your performance on a particular Hero, to other players on that same Hero at roughly the same skill-level. That good enough?

I always find it hilariously ironic when higher-ranked players try to use the rank=intelligence argument, lol.