The Ability that could replace scatter arrow

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 12 Next
02/14/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
02/14/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Equinox
I really like the abilities Jeff mentioned in the recent dev update (30 min ago). One where Hanzo leaps in a direction (hopefully in the air, a backflip, and not just a dash forward like McCree's Roll) and another where he is able to rapidly fire 5 arrows. I feel like it would combo nicely.

The way we have his leap working right now in our internal builds is that its a double-jump, much like his brother, but with a couple key differences. Firstly, it is mostly a horizontal leap (and its pretty fast), unlike Genji's vertical leap. Secondly, it has a small cooldown, which is necessary considering the amount of mobility it gives Hanzo now. Also, to clarify, you will leap towards the direction you are pressing, not the direction you are facing. This is the exact same control scheme we use for Tracer's blinks, so think of it like that.

For his new ability called Volley, we're still iterating on it. For example, we've already changed the numbers of arrows fired from 5 to 6 and lowered the damage per arrow. Currently it lasts up to 6 seconds, and allows you to fire about 3 arrows per second (up to 6 total). Each arrow fires at "full power" but deals only 80 damage (instead of his normal 125). There is no charge time while in this mode, if you hold the button down you will fire the arrows in a full-auto mode.

This has been really fun so far in playtests. He has a lot more options during combat now, and deciding how and when to use your Lunge ability is really interesting. You can use both ability to leap around a corner and fire a bunch of arrows into a key target, but then you're leaving yourself really open to counter attack. You can also save Lunge when you know there is an enemy Winston looking to jump on you to make a quick leap back while firing tons of arrows into him and his barrier.

this is so awesome! thank you!

the volley sounds great. Initially I was thinking of Multi-Arrow where it slowly spreads and has a similar ammo recovery as a doomfist main weapon. It would help in upclose fights and to shatter barriers, but this seems to work as well

I look forward to testing it.
I really like the abilities Jeff mentioned in the recent dev update (30 min ago). One where Hanzo leaps in a direction (hopefully in the air, a backflip, and not just a dash forward like McCree's Roll) and another where he is able to rapidly fire 5 arrows. I feel like it would combo nicely.

The way we have his leap working right now in our internal builds is that its a double-jump, much like his brother, but with a couple key differences. Firstly, it is mostly a horizontal leap (and its pretty fast), unlike Genji's vertical leap. Secondly, it has a small cooldown, which is necessary considering the amount of mobility it gives Hanzo now. Also, to clarify, you will leap towards the direction you are pressing, not the direction you are facing. This is the exact same control scheme we use for Tracer's blinks, so think of it like that.

For his new ability called Volley, we're still iterating on it. For example, we've already changed the numbers of arrows fired from 5 to 6 and lowered the damage per arrow. Currently it lasts up to 6 seconds, and allows you to fire about 3 arrows per second (up to 6 total). Each arrow fires at "full power" but deals only 80 damage (instead of his normal 125). There is no charge time while in this mode, if you hold the button down you will fire the arrows in a full-auto mode.

This has been really fun so far in playtests. He has a lot more options during combat now, and deciding how and when to use your Lunge ability is really interesting. You can use both ability to leap around a corner and fire a bunch of arrows into a key target, but then you're leaving yourself really open to counter attack. You can also save Lunge when you know there is an enemy Winston looking to jump on you to make a quick leap back while firing tons of arrows into him and his barrier.

We don't need some FTH trash ability to be a worse McCree with no hard cc. Hanzo needs buffs these are slight nerfs. You are replacing the possibility of 450 over 1 sec with the possibility of 480 over 2. How is this going to make him more viable? Will this have like a 3 second cool down so he can use it for kill confirmation? That wouldn't make any sense. He needs a rate of fire buff on his primary and a damage buff on dragonstrike.
Getting flashbacks of the full-damage Fan-the-Hammer McCree days.

Do these arrows bounce? Is Simple Geometry dead?

Sounds fun :D I'm glad I recently bought the golden bow
what i like about scanter arrow when i play hanzo is how it can be used to finish of someone retreating behind cover or some that keeps popping in and out of cover, so i was think something like a gas arrow or an arrow that spreads threads to entangle who ever is near by, so anyone in the zone where they would get hit by scatter arrow would instead be tangled up in threads for a short period, kind of like junkrats trap

Is the animation gonna have him holding the arrows all in between his fingers, and then quickly putting one in at a time?

I'm super curious about this animation specifically :O
Why would simple geometry be dead? Geo-metrics includes projectiles arcing.
Keep scatter and sonic arrows how they are, only reduce total damage of scatter from 450 down to 250. This way he can still one-shot squishies but not tanks.

Also, add a third "air bust grenade" type of arrow to the r key, which is like a combination between Junkrat's mine, Soldier's helix rocket, and Orisa's bubble. This arrow would have the same travel speed and behavior as any other arrow, but you can make the arrow explode in the air with a second click or button press, allowing you to take out targets within a radius of your shot in mid-air without requiring perfect accuracy. The explosion would have falloff damage and a maximum of around 250 if you direct hit your target (no headshot bonus, maybe?) or air burst right next to them.

Let me know what you think.
Would those rapid fire arrows headshot?
Most Hanzo players have issues hitting one target all match without scatter arrow. This change will make him even more inconsistent then he already is.
I love how my thread of offering an Idea that isn't what Jeff said in the developer update has been coopted to be instead about the idea I guess they are going to go with no matter what the community says, or what ever other ideas may be presented to them.
For his new ability called Volley, we're still iterating on it.
How similar to Torb's primary fire is this ability?

Hug

Kewl
02/14/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Eclipse
Most Hanzo players have issues hitting one target all match without scatter arrow. This change will make him even more inconsistent then he already is.
Part of the reason I included an effect with my idea for if the arrow impacts with the environment.

Do each of his arrows headshot though? o.O That would be really strong.
This is really cool for Hanzo, but I'm worried about how this might impact QP and Winston in particular. Without the benefit of coordination comp gives us, sometimes the only option to deal with a sniper is to throw a monkey, sorry, Scientist at them. But now with Widows reduced grapple cooldown and Hanzos new lunge I'm not sure how a solo QP player would go about addressing a sniper problem. Obviously we wont know until it hits live and we get good data on it, but something to keep an eye out for.
02/14/2018 12:54 PMPosted by K3nny
Do each of his arrows headshot though? o.O That would be really strong.

Yes, they can headshot.
these changes sound terrible. thanks for ruining my day as a hanzo main.
Rapid fire leap Hanzo sounds badass