The Ability that could replace scatter arrow

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 12 Next
02/14/2018 12:58 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
02/14/2018 12:54 PMPosted by K3nny
Do each of his arrows headshot though? o.O That would be really strong.

Yes, they can headshot.

Hanzo might indeed be viable then :o
02/14/2018 01:00 PMPosted by OminousPoppy
these changes sound terrible. thanks for ruining my day as a hanzo main.

You don't understand, this gives hanzo so much more but it also means he is going to be harder to play.

If you master hanzo with these abilities believe me tracer and winston would be terrified to come near you. Genji and dva on the other hand can still counter you.
seriously, who ever had a problem getting killed by scatter? not me and i've played plenty of hanzo. you all need to learn your simple geometry.
02/14/2018 12:35 PMPosted by Feculator
Getting flashbacks of the full-damage Fan-the-Hammer McCree days.

No this is a nerf. Scatters ability to damage tanks was from its burst. Tanks will just use their damage mitigation as soon as you start using this turning it into garbage. Hanzo doesn't have a hard cc ability like flashbang to make them eat it. This is poorly thought out like the Mei buffs. It is like they have never even played the game.

As someone who has a bit of confidence with his shield dancing I had little fear of Hanzo with Orisa and Winston with scatter and this just makes him laughable.

Edit: alright I have just seen the follow up that it can headshot so as long as it doesn't make the aiming all wonky you can probably trash a Winston with it but you will need to bait a D.VA which would likely get you killed and it won't be useful against Hog, Orisa, or Rein(unless he is suicide charging).
Can these arrows crit?

Edit: Nevermind.
02/14/2018 01:04 PMPosted by OminousPoppy
seriously, who ever had a problem getting killed by scatter? not me and i've played plenty of hanzo. you all need to learn your simple geometry.
You can’t simple geometry when you get shotgun blasted in the foot
02/14/2018 01:04 PMPosted by ShimadaBruh
02/14/2018 01:00 PMPosted by OminousPoppy
these changes sound terrible. thanks for ruining my day as a hanzo main.

You don't understand, this gives hanzo so much more but it also means he is going to be harder to play.

If you master hanzo with these abilities believe me tracer and winston would be terrified to come near you. Genji and dva on the other hand can still counter you.

I have to disagree here, this will make him MUCH easier to play. A descent Hanzo will now have a much more reliable get out of jail free ability than Scatter ever was due to map geometry. Per Geoff a Hanzo now has the potential to deal 1,210 dmg in the span of two seconds by releasing a normal shot that crits, and then unloading his rapid fire shots as all crits. Is this difficult? Yes, but with practice it can be consistent, especially in closer range situations. AND he now has a disengage ability so he does not need to fear close quarters as much. Careful what you wish for. ;)

Yes, they can headshot.

Sounds a bit OP to me if they can headshot but I guess it depends on how fast the shots are. Also sounds a bit more like Fan the Hammer but I imagine we could be wrong in that regard. Is the arrow volley just a stance that lasts for a few seconds that allows him to 6 arrows in rapid succession without the charge up mechanics but also take a damage penalty as well?
02/14/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Urazz

Yes, they can headshot.

Sounds a bit OP to me. Also sounds a bit more like Fan the Hammer but I imagine we could be wrong in that regard. Is the arrow volley just a stance that lasts for a few seconds that allows him to 6 arrows in rapid succession without the charge up mechanics but also take a damage penalty as well?

well fan the hammer is 45x6 damage in less than 0.7 sec

while hanzo need 2 sec to unleash all his 6 arrow, so u have time to react....
02/14/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Eggcelsior
02/14/2018 01:04 PMPosted by OminousPoppy
You can’t simple geometry when you get shotgun blasted in the foot

you can see hanzo aiming at you/down at your feet and you can see the arrow flying towards you. get away from areas that scatter can kill you or dodge the arrow when you see it coming at you. get good.
02/14/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
02/14/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Equinox
I really like the abilities Jeff mentioned in the recent dev update (30 min ago). One where Hanzo leaps in a direction (hopefully in the air, a backflip, and not just a dash forward like McCree's Roll) and another where he is able to rapidly fire 5 arrows. I feel like it would combo nicely.

The way we have his leap working right now in our internal builds is that its a double-jump, much like his brother, but with a couple key differences. Firstly, it is mostly a horizontal leap (and its pretty fast), unlike Genji's vertical leap. Secondly, it has a small cooldown, which is necessary considering the amount of mobility it gives Hanzo now. Also, to clarify, you will leap towards the direction you are pressing, not the direction you are facing. This is the exact same control scheme we use for Tracer's blinks, so think of it like that.

For his new ability called Volley, we're still iterating on it. For example, we've already changed the numbers of arrows fired from 5 to 6 and lowered the damage per arrow. Currently it lasts up to 6 seconds, and allows you to fire about 3 arrows per second (up to 6 total). Each arrow fires at "full power" but deals only 80 damage (instead of his normal 125). There is no charge time while in this mode, if you hold the button down you will fire the arrows in a full-auto mode.

This has been really fun so far in playtests. He has a lot more options during combat now, and deciding how and when to use your Lunge ability is really interesting. You can use both ability to leap around a corner and fire a bunch of arrows into a key target, but then you're leaving yourself really open to counter attack. You can also save Lunge when you know there is an enemy Winston looking to jump on you to make a quick leap back while firing tons of arrows into him and his barrier.
I like a lot what you're doing but I want to say something: A big part of the enjoyment I have in using Scatter Arrow is that it doesn't rely on landing the initial arrow and you can play on the positioning of enemies to kill them in/from unusual places. This is something I'm really going to miss if the new skill is going to be one where you have to land the primary arrow (even if it's easier than his primary fire).
It sounds like rapid fire arrow is going to be a pretty consistent way to deal with tracers.

This looks really interesting. Looking forward to seeing those changes on ptr

Yes, they can headshot.

Do they bounce?

Are you killing Simple Geometry?
For his new ability called Volley, we're still iterating on it. For example, we've already changed the numbers of arrows fired from 5 to 6 and lowered the damage per arrow. Currently it lasts up to 6 seconds, and allows you to fire about 3 arrows per second (up to 6 total). Each arrow fires at "full power" but deals only 80 damage (instead of his normal 125). There is no charge time while in this mode, if you hold the button down you will fire the arrows in a full-auto mode.

Kinda sounds like Sha-Lin from Paladins... (Just wanted to point that out guys!)

So I can say from experience it'll work XD
02/14/2018 01:13 PMPosted by fenix
Sounds a bit OP to me. Also sounds a bit more like Fan the Hammer but I imagine we could be wrong in that regard. Is the arrow volley just a stance that lasts for a few seconds that allows him to 6 arrows in rapid succession without the charge up mechanics but also take a damage penalty as well?

Except Fan the hammer comes with significant spread, that makes it near impossible to hit all of the shots from any further away than melee range. and Fan the hammer only uses the ammo you have left making a guranateed full six shots take either your roll ability goin on cooldown, or a more than a second reload time.
when simple geometry was too much for the OW community to handle... not simple enough i guess? smfh
so lemme get this straight, you made a hero with a recurve bow somehow have some kind of repeating fire ability? hes still gonna shred with it. whats wrong with you?

he needs utility not dmg.

The way we have his leap working right now in our internal builds is that its a double-jump, much like his brother, but with a couple key differences. Firstly, it is mostly a horizontal leap (and its pretty fast), unlike Genji's vertical leap. Secondly, it has a small cooldown, which is necessary considering the amount of mobility it gives Hanzo now. Also, to clarify, you will leap towards the direction you are pressing, not the direction you are facing. This is the exact same control scheme we use for Tracer's blinks, so think of it like that.

This has been really fun so far in playtests. He has a lot more options during combat now, and deciding how and when to use your Lunge ability is really interesting. You can use both ability to leap around a corner and fire a bunch of arrows into a key target, but then you're leaving yourself really open to counter attack. You can also save Lunge when you know there is an enemy Winston looking to jump on you to make a quick leap back while firing tons of arrows into him and his barrier.
damn the volley sounds reeeeally good this ability make hanzo good in both long and short range fights and with his leap he also gets good mobility. I believe if these changes make it live hanzo will be a very viable hero. Also one more thing I would like to suggest is (I don't know if it's a good idea) is to increase a little bit the speed of his ult because right now everyone can dodge the dragon pretty easily but this is just a thought. Oh and btw you guys did an AMAZING job with sombra

Except Fan the hammer comes with significant spread, that makes it near impossible to hit all of the shots from any further away than melee range. and Fan the hammer only uses the ammo you have left making a guranateed full six shots take either your roll ability goin on cooldown, or a more than a second reload time.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if Hanzo becomes the pro-gamer's preferred hero over McCree with these changes making him more skilled based and have more options available.

Then again, I have thought McCree does need some buffs to his flashbang and combat roll and these much needed changes to Hanzo just reinforces that to me.
02/14/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Phantombit
Charged Arrow: Arrow shoots out delivering a highvoltage shock to whoever or whatever it impacts.

Player: Short stun, giving hanzo the ability to quickly follow up with a skillful shot into the target to secure a kill, or secure consistent damage. longer stun from a shot delivered to the head

Barrier: Deals a significant amount of damage in a series of bursts that happen within 1 or 2 seconds, this should make a fresh barrier from Orisa or Winston highly susceptible to destruction with minimal followup. (giving Reinhardt and Reinhardt alone the ability to counter play the arrow by dropping his barrier before it receives too heavy of damage.)

Environment: Like sonic arrow, the Charged arrow sticks to the surface it impacts linking with any enemy hero within a short range (Like tazzer cords that would retract if an enemy gets too far away and reapply when/if they get back into range of the arrow), ~6-10 meters, dealing 33 damage a second for 3 seconds.

So you give Rein a way to counter it but it seems inadequate. Unless the projectile travels slow I’m not sure how anyone is supposed to react to that